Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    To top it all off, I don't think Year One is even canon!
    It’s not lol, and that’s a good thing because it looks like Miller is going to buck some conventional trends with his origin. But Man and Superman isn’t canon either. I just wish people would tell some Elseworld tales about Supes that aren’t origins or turns to evil. Look at stuff like Damned or Last Knight On Earth, how come we don’t get stuff like that anymore? Is it too much to ask for a standalone story featuring a Superman who is already in the swing of things?

Spectacular Member

Year One Superman supposedly will join the US-military.
    It's really better, that they don't make THIS canon

Unless they do it anyway when enough people buy it because it's Frank Miller

It doesn’t even sound like Miller is writing Year One. He apparently gives JRJR like a outline and then JRJR is expanding that into like a 48 page comic and doing the dialogue. I don’t know if that’s better or worse for me since I’m not a real big fan of either of them. Admittedly the teases we’ve been shown of the interior art looks like JRJR is on his A game though, so it should be pretty.

And it’ll be interesting to see how well it does since its Miller unconnected to Dark Knight Returns and without 20 variants per issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Virtually none of these statements are true. 3 years after its done, the hyperbole and outright falsehoods are still going strong. It did attract attention, and the comic did sell well.
    These statements are true. DC very actively advertised smww. Even a comic about this couple was selling worse, than all the other comics with and about Clark. Sales results will only confirm it. That DC added them to almost all comics is a fact. Even the comic sellers said that almost no one buys a superwonder comic. the comics were low. And there was a trick that they broke up, but that didn't help either. That DOS and ROTS are the most successful is also fact. Box office and rating is higher,than all cartoons with New 52 Superman. JL Action most people called the worst animated series. And the producer himself said that if there will be a second season then there will be a Superman and Lois Lane relationship. The Internet will confirm all this.

I thought the book sold ok under Soule. Then Tomasi took over, and, well, the book kinda sucked. Even if you thought Soule's run wasn't that good, I mean, Tomasi's run was remarkably worse.

The Death of Superman-related movies all sold well (I think Superman: Doomsday still moved the most units), but let's also not forget that Superman movies got shelved for five years largely because Superman vs. the Elite and Superman: Unbound absolutely tanked. Of course, I don't think the story for Elite was all that bad; it got sabotaged by looking and sounding like the most cheaply-made DTV's, and by a long shot (I disliked Unbound, FWIW, but I can't pinpoint any one reason why it sold so badly).

I think DoS has a lot of appeal to casuals. I mean, it's not like I'd say that Superman: Doomsday is somehow a better story than All-Star Superman, but if you went straight by numbers you'd think the battle against Doomsday was somehow the best Superman story ever told because nothing can match its sales.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    The Internet will confirm all this.
    Spoken without a hint of irony.

Quote Originally Posted by _Beautiful_Temptress_ View Post
    These statements are true. DC very actively advertised smww. Even a comic about this couple was selling worse, than all the other comics with and about Clark. Sales results will only confirm it. That DC added them to almost all comics is a fact. Even the comic sellers said that almost no one buys a superwonder comic. the comics were low. And there was a trick that they broke up, but that didn't help either. That DOS and ROTS are the most successful is also fact. Box office and rating is higher,than all cartoons with New 52 Superman. JL Action most people called the worst animated series. And the producer himself said that if there will be a second season then there will be a Superman and Lois Lane relationship. The Internet will confirm all this.
    I specifically pointed out how you were incorrect about the comic so I'll touch on that. You're looking on the wrong corners of the internet. It was not the worst selling book featuring Superman. It had plenty of months where it sold better than both Action and Superman. On a level of consistency, they all sold very similar until Johns/JRJR took over Superman and that gave that title a boost. A comic seller on the internet telling you that no one bought the comic doesn't amount to much. Maybe someone did say that, maybe it was true for his specific store. But a blanket statement that does not make. Take the word of documented sales, of which are available to peruse, not just the word of random people on the internet.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-21-2019 at 09:04 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

You know, even if that was part of it (because a LOT of other things changed), can't say I'm sad to see it gone.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post

I think DoS has a lot of appeal to casuals. I mean, it's not like I'd say that Superman: Doomsday is somehow a better story than All-Star Superman, but if you went straight by numbers you'd think the battle against Doomsday was somehow the best Superman story ever told because nothing can match its sales.
    Yeah DoS has a lot of appeal to casuals. And that's why this story will continue to be adapted for future generations because casuals really dig it. It made big news when it first came out. I know you guys are tired of it, but for people who don't read comics or watch all the cartoons, DoS is something that reminds them why Superman is a great hero, imo. Sadly, BvS didn't do it all the justice, imo, but the new animated DoS/Reign movies just showed how it should be done. it's a great blueprint for a future live action adaptation.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-21-2019 at 11:17 AM.

Batman is wrong. pfft

allstarsuperman_1230.jpg

Phantom Zone Escapee manofsteel1979's Avatar

Nah. I don't think it was because of SM/WW. It was due to the fact the New 52 initiative had hit a wall and was in decline and New 52 Superman had the unfortunate distinction of being that initiative's poster boy, and the simplest way to put across the message to turned off readers they we're attempting to reach was to kill off the mascot of the New 52 and literally bring back his previous version. SM and WW was just a casualty. Truth be known even if New 52 Supes lived, the expiration date on SM/WW was fast approaching. The powers that be were never going to advance the relationship beyond "dating" and with the Siegel family lawsuit resolved any reason to keep Lois Lane on the back burner as Supes love interest was no longer in place.
    When it comes to comics,one person's "fan-service" is another persons personal cannon. So by definition it's ALL fan service. Aren't we ALL fans?
    SUPERMAN is the greatest fictional character ever created.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Batman is wrong. pfft

allstarsuperman_1230.jpg
    Would Batman be wrong if he said, "The last time one of your stories inspired anyone was when you were dead"?

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Batman is wrong. pfft

allstarsuperman_1230.jpg
    Everything I hate about All-Star.

It's supposed to be deep and touching, it comes off as Superman being a preachy idiot who doesn't even try to understand why this girl is feeling so bad and simply spout platitudes. And somehow it works because he's Superman ?

But more on the point of the topic : Rebirth wasn't geared to just erase the News 52 versions of those characters. But it required it and has spent a lot of time early one shitting on the last five years before Rebirth.

I like the scene in All-Star, but I do think the scene where he prevents a suicide in Grounded is waaaay better. All-Star's suicide scene works more on the level of iconography than it does as a real story with concrete characters, but I think there's a lot of value to that single, strong image as well.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."