Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Im curious about how it resolves itself but I didn't put stock in it fixing the DCU. I just saw it as a story i was interested in. I plan to tradewait it anyway so the delays don't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Im curious about how it resolves itself but I didn't put stock in it fixing the DCU. I just saw it as a story i was interested in. I plan to tradewait it anyway so the delays don't bother me.
    I think that may have been the initial plan. But its pretty clear that DC has taken quite a different turn since Rebirth, which was Geoff Johns' idea. I mean, look no further than Nightwing. Its been more about random guys dressing up as Nightwing than Dick Grayson. Sorry, "Ric" Grayson.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny Mutie View Post
    That's why I am just sitting on all my issues and reading it all at once, once the last issue is shipped. Hell, come to think of it, I guess I could have just waited for the trade.
    But that would have been an even LOOOOONGER wait!

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

It's a great read with incredible art. Why wouldn't I care about it? The delays are annoying but if Johns can stick the landing, it will make for a great graphic novel down the line. As for whether it will "fix" the DCU? Who knows and who cares? At this point DC is such a mess on an editorial/ corporate level from what I've heard that I wouldn't be surprised if the whole thing was contradicted within a couple of months. At this point, I'm just enjoying what I'm enjoying from DC, but I can't hang my hat on the greater DCU and continuity at this point.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

I’m waiting for the trade, but I can’t imagine being mad at a comic for taking too long to come out. I wish more comics weren’t held to tight monthly schedules, so that we could have more consistent and quality art.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Extraordinary Member

This may be an unfair comparison - after all, we don't know what the real problem with the delays is really all about.

But I don't remember Justice ever having these delays when it was being released bi-monthly and Alex Ross was painting these issues over pencils drawn by Doug Braithwaite.

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    This may be an unfair comparison - after all, we don't know what the real problem with the delays is really all about.

But I don't remember Justice ever having these delays when it was being released bi-monthly and Alex Ross was painting these issues over pencils drawn by Doug Braithwaite.
    The frustration (at least for me) is the week here, week there delays with the current issue. Outside of that, the book's been published according to its defined schedule. Granted, it went from monthly to bi-monthly which upset some folks. I certainly can understand the need for two months to produce this book. It's longer than a typical monthly and works on a nine-panel grid. There's a lot of stuff here. People would rather be asked for $5 than be asked for $1 five times. Rip off the damn band-aid.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But that would have been an even LOOOOONGER wait!

LOL, true!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I’m waiting for the trade, but I can’t imagine being mad at a comic for taking too long to come out. I wish more comics weren’t held to tight monthly schedules, so that we could have more consistent and quality art.
    Absolutely! I would much rather have Gary Frank bring his a-game to each and every panel than either rush him or have fill in artists. Inconsistent and rushed art is probably the single biggest problem with something like Final Crisis for me.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Absolutely! I would much rather have Gary Frank bring his a-game to each and every panel than either rush him or have fill in artists. Inconsistent and rushed art is probably the single biggest problem with something like Final Crisis for me.
    But in that case, should DC have instead made it a series of two-or-three graphic novels / "Prestige Format" books instead of starting with "monthly" issues?

But in that case, should DC have instead made it a series of two-or-three graphic novels / "Prestige Format" books instead of starting with "monthly" issues?
    Maybe. I wouldn't have a problem with that. But by that logic, the same should have been true of Watchmen. It was originally released in single issues with major, major delays.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think the delays have nothing to do with Johns or Frank and everything to do with DC and Didio forcing changes on the series as it has gone along. Both Johns and Frank or pros and there is no way they would let the book get this late if it was up to them. Johns has always been one of those writers that likes to have a story well mapped out before he gets going, so to see these kind of delays just tells me Didio's grimmy little fingers are creeping all over this book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Maybe. I wouldn't have a problem with that. But by that logic, the same should have been true of Watchmen. It was originally released in single issues with major, major delays.
    But, again, Watchmen was an independent story that wasn't set in the main DC universe. Delays with that book didn't tie up any other characters / plotlines for other comic books.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I think the delays have nothing to do with Johns or Frank and everything to do with DC and Didio forcing changes on the series as it has gone along. Both Johns and Frank or pros and there is no way they would let the book get this late if it was up to them. Johns has always been one of those writers that likes to have a story well mapped out before he gets going, so to see these kind of delays just tells me Didio's grimmy little fingers are creeping all over this book.
    But, again, Watchmen was an independent story that wasn't set in the main DC universe. Delays with that book didn't tie up any other characters / plotlines for other comic books.
    I think the first quote answers the second.

Regardless, it's a fair distinction, it is, but if DC are going to do "event" comics that affects the entirety of their line, they need to get creators who can deliver consistently on time. Yes, sometimes unforseen things happen that delay a book or force the need for a creative change but this should be the rare exception, not the rule.