Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

I'd be surprised if they do anything with Robin in the Batman movies. I'd bet that Robin is more likely to appear in the Batgirl movie first before the Batman movie. Although it makes me wonder why we can't have a Robin movie if they are already planning out a Batgirl and Supergirl movie.

Amazing Member

Caped Joel on ComicPOP said this and I agree, that Robin is the final frontier for storytelling ground that hasn't been tread very well by movies. We've had the origin movie, the Knightfall movie, a Long Halloween-esque/Joker movie, but Robin hasn't been done well. If it was up to me, I would skip the Robin origin and just go ahead and do an Adventures of Batman and Robin-style movie, with Robin being in his late teens like in Spider-man Homecoming. I guess some time would actually have to be spent on the origin, but maybe told through flashbacks interspersed with the main plot, like in Batman #54, which contrasted Bruce caring for the recently-orphaned Dick with Nightwing cheering up the recently-dumped Batman. Basically I want a movie that gives me the feeling that TAS did, or even that its opening did https://youtu.be/ws68JFY8qfI. It doesn't even have to be a Robin-focused story; Robin could just be the deuteragonist/sidekick. Or if you want Robin in a more prominent role, have him be Batman's lifeline in a case that's testing his sanity, like in Court of Owls, or something smaller scale but still dark enough that Batman spirals into madness. That would be a good showcase of Robin's role and relationship with Batman.
    Last edited by TheJudge95; 02-18-2019 at 12:08 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheJudge95 View Post
    Caped Joel on ComicPOP said this and I agree, that Robin is the final frontier for storytelling ground that hasn't been tread very well by movies. We've had the origin movie, the Knightfall movie, a Long Halloween-esque/Joker movie, but Robin hasn't been done well. If it was up to me, I would skip the Robin origin and just go ahead and do an Adventures of Batman and Robin-style movie, with Robin being in his late teens like in Spider-man Homecoming. I guess some time would actually have to be spent on the origin, but maybe told through flashbacks interspersed with the main plot, like in Batman #54, which contrasted Bruce caring for the recently-orphaned Dick with Nightwing cheering up the recently-dumped Batman. Basically I want a movie that gives me the feeling that TAS did, or even that its opening did https://youtu.be/ws68JFY8qfI. It doesn't even have to be a Robin-focused story; Robin could just be the deuteragonist/sidekick. Or if you want Robin in a more prominent role, have him be Batman's lifeline in a case that's testing his sanity, like in Court of Owls, or something smaller scale but still dark enough that Batman spirals into madness. That would be a good showcase of Robin's role and relationship with Batman.
    Robin's role isn't to help batman when he's spirals. I know Dick did save Bruce but that isn't Robin's role. I know they tried to sell that line of thought with Tim but it isn't the role of Robin which was why in story we never saw Tim serve that function.

Robin is a role used to help lost boys find direction and the right path. Sure they all went on to save Batman but that's just what heroes do. There have been times when Batman has been about to go too far and stopped because Robin was present but Robin has never been the key to stop him spiralling. That's something that only he can do.

The message that Batman needs a kid to stop him when he spirals sends the wrong message.

Plus it's a bad idea to focus the batman movie on Robin.
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-18-2019 at 01:53 AM.

The next Batman movie that features Robin (most likely Dick to squeeze out more movies) should just pull a Spider-Man 2. The intro is comprised of all the important moments from the first film drawn by Alex Ross. Just do the same thing with Bruce seeing the bat, doing all the training, falling the well, watching the flying Grayson, Dick doing the oath, etc.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

BANNED

I can already hear all the gay jokes public make about the film... lol and don't forget about Batman & Robin Shippers... lol

A Batman movie post Justice League would have been a good time to introduce the batfamily into the DCEU. Having Batman resolve to be better and try and mend fences with his old network of allies is good thematic material.

The problem with Robin is he works in a less grounded/less serious take on the character. Otherwise you'd make him older like in Titans.

Tim Drake should be the Robin they use because he's more flexible a character than Damian. Dick should already be nightwing, jason should be dead, barbara should be oracle (whether or not her spine heals is irrelevant to me) etc.

Deathstroke would have been a good challenge in a batfamily centered because you can position him as a twisted family man.

EDIT- by flexibility, i mean age range.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 02-18-2019 at 11:09 AM.

What if they skipped Dick and went with the post-CoIE Jason for the first use of Robin?
    Having him swipe the tires from the Batmobile would be much easier to deal with that Dick's origin.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    A Batman movie post Justice League would have been a good time to introduce the batfamily into the DCEU. Having Batman resolve to be better and try and mend fences with his old network of allies is good thematic material.

The problem with Robin is he works in a less grounded/less serious take on the character. Otherwise you'd make him older like in Titans.

Tim Drake should be the Robin they use because he's more flexible a character than Damian. Dick should already be nightwing, jason should be dead, barbara should be oracle (whether or not her spine heals is irrelevant to me) etc.

Deathstroke would have been a good challenge in a batfamily centered because you can position him as a twisted family man.
    Damian can be just as flexible, has more story potential and more importantly he is more interesting. any story you can tell with tim you can tell with Damian but not the other way round.

We already had a robin similar to Tim and the audience didn't exactly embrace him or get excited.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    What if they skipped Dick and went with the post-CoIE Jason for the first use of Robin?
    Having him swipe the tires from the Batmobile would be much easier to deal with that Dick's origin.
    I like that too. have Dick already be nightwing

Starting Dick as Robin once again is part of the reason why the world doesn't know Nightwing. DC needs to cut it out.

Live Action and with the level of of action and coolness Superheroes are at now in the movies dc needs a robin with a kick

Robin hasn't gotten the best reception in live action. We've tried the good boys. I think it's time to try the naughty boys. Jason or Damian are the only robins that would get me excited.

Tim's quickly proving himself the least flexible of the Robins.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'd be surprised if they do anything with Robin in the Batman movies. I'd bet that Robin is more likely to appear in the Batgirl movie first before the Batman movie. Although it makes me wonder why we can't have a Robin movie if they are already planning out a Batgirl and Supergirl movie.
    I don't know if Robin is more likely to appear in Batgirl.

It would depend how they handle Barbara Gordon's history but I don't expect their going tie themselves down by throwing Robin in there because of all the continuity and timeline questions it would necessitate for a probably standalone solo film.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    We already had a robin similar to Tim and the audience didn't exactly embrace him or get excited.
    When? Robin Blake ?

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    I don't think Dick's origin isnt that hard to deal with. You could shift him over to a Circus de soleil style show.
    Quote Originally Posted by CPSparkles View Post
    Damian can be just as flexible, has more story potential and more importantly he is more interesting. any story you can tell with tim you can tell with Damian but not the other way round.

By flexibility i meant in terms of age range. Damian needs to be a ten year old while Tim could be 18 instead of 14 and he'll be fine.

Granted im not that invested in Tim jumping on the big screen anyway. I rather take Duke, Luke/Tiffany, Steph, Anarky, Orpheus and Onyx over him.

Wasn't there supposed to be a Nightwing film?

In that case, put me down for Jason Todd, since we'll have a new Batman and what not.

A kid (maybe young teen) with the stones to steal the tires right off the Batmobile after showing how regular criminals are terrified of Batman. But I wouldn't jump straight into his death or anything (and if it retcons Batman having already lost Robin, that's fine, as it didn't make any sense to leave Joker alive after that when its shown this Batman doesn't mind killing criminals).

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't know if Robin is more likely to appear in Batgirl.

It would depend how they handle Barbara Gordon's history but I don't expect their going tie themselves down by throwing Robin in there because of all the continuity and timeline questions it would necessitate for a probably standalone solo film.
    They will have to cast Batman and Jim Gordon for the Batgirl movie probably. I don't see a Robin as a big step up from those. Not saying he will have a large role but I think it is more likely he appears in there than in Batman. Since I think they want to go back to doing a younger solo Batman stories for Reeves' movies and they can just say the Batgirl movies happen much later or something.

A year or two ago now they announced that at some con that the plan was to have Robin appear in the Batgirl movie, so while many things have changed since then I can still see it happening I guess.
    Last edited by Badou; 02-18-2019 at 03:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I don't think Dick's origin isnt that hard to deal with. You could shift him over to a Circus de soleil style show.

By flexibility i meant in terms of age range. Damian needs to be a ten year old while Tim could be 18 instead of 14 and he'll be fine.

Granted im not that invested in Tim jumping on the big screen anyway. I rather take Duke, Luke/Tiffany, Steph, Anarky, Orpheus and Onyx over him.
    Duke is a good idea [and I've been saying for the past 2 years on the old DCEU movie thread]. Fresh, current and different. Like the other poster said anything you can do with Tim you can do Duke and then some. Duke like Damian brings everything Tim brings along with extras.

Choose to be a hero
    worked hard to excel in the position
    Saved a Batman [physically]

[actually these are all applicable to all Robins]

Along with the basics listed above Duke brings a different voice to Robin that I would like to see.

I'm one of those that think's Dick should be progressed to Nightwing fast [I agree that always having him introduced as Robin in outside media holds Nightwing back] but it's difficult to have any of the Robins without 1st having Dick. might be one of those things that just has to be done for seamless progression.

Damian is 13 so not sure why he has to be 10 and since he is the Robin with accelerated ageing. He can be however old the writer wants.
    Tim is 16. He is the Robin that can't seem to age beyond that so not sure how you came to your conclusion.

I just believe that this Batman film should focus on Batman. After JL and BvS it's necessary to do a solid Batman solo movie that fixes him before spotlighting his support.