Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member qwertyuiop1998's Avatar

Default what's your opinion about THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN STORY

notes:THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN STORY i mean is from the death of superman and to superman return story arc(include funeral for a friend,reign of the superman)
    well,thing is.when i'm not reading this story arc before,i always heard people talk about this story awfully bad.but when i reading it,i find this story actually pretty interesting,it's had good action parts:like superman vs doomsday fight scene.it's emotion parts i think also is pretty good,especially in funeral for a friend story.had put a much efforts to description when superman dead,what's his friends,families,and the world reactions(and also is i personally favorite part).and later reign of superman though not as interesting as i mentioned two parts,but still enjoyble(IMO)
    of course,i think this also because i already know what's this story most awfully part(like superman resurrection),when this story finished i haven't born yet.so i didn't know what's feeling like reading this series in those era. anyway,i personally thought this story is a good one.
    Last edited by qwertyuiop1998; 02-17-2019 at 08:38 AM.
    "Dangerous Zombie! Transform!! Click And Load! Buggle UP! Danger! Danger! Death The Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!" Kamen Rider Gemn
    (In first he's mysterious and evil and now he's psycho and crazy and insane and evil AND "The Meme Lord"LOL.)

Astonishing Member

At the time the story seemed more interesting because while we knew Superman would be back, nothing was really known about the how.

In retrospect the Doomsday battle is boring once you know how it all ends and you have the time to actually analyze what is going on. But this was the longest anyone had ever gone toe-to-toe with Superman at the time. There was some mystery to who this Doomsday was and just why he fixated on Superman. It had been years since we had a story with the big guns together (the Big 7 JLA) so watching Doomsday tear through the Giffen League made sense.

Funeral for a Friend was the payoff to the Triangle Era and the whole supporting cast of Metropolis. But to someone who wasn't reading back then it probably seems padded since there is little real action and half of these characters mean nothing to modern readers (Shape-shifting Supergirl, Cadmus, Bibbo).

The Reign of the Supermen to me is the best part over all. I loved Funeral but as I said I think it loses something for a new reader. Now part of the fun here also was being there as it unfolded. We didn't know for sure how Superman was coming back or just what the deal was with these four potential Supermen. There was a possibility that any of the four just might be Superman of some part of him in the end. Maybe Steel was Superman's "soul" inhabiting another body and would need to be restored to the Eradicator body? Or maybe DC was willing to do a soft reboot and Superboy was actually going to replace Superman permanently (or as close to permanently as comics got). You just didn't know. We didn't know that the Kryptonian Superman with the visor was the Eardicator returning in a new form or that the Cyborg Superman was that Reed Richards wannabe from a few years ago. And when the Cyborg Superman turned out to be a villain, it was a real surprise.

Now all those secrets are out and most new readers know going in just how Superman returns (or more accurately how he doesn't), but I still think the basic story introducing the imposters and showing their attempts to be the real deal still holds up.

Extraordinary Member

In general the Death of Superman is considered a classic story. Some people lament how it started or popularized the idea of killing off characters for shock value and then bringing them back, but most people, when judging it on is own merits and not what happened in later years, find it to be a really well-done story with great action and characterization which also led to the creation of some of the best characters like Steel and Conner Kent.

If it wasn't widely loved, it would not have been made into an animated movie twice and partially - and badly - incorporated into the DCEU.

I really appreciated the story for about 15 years, but I've had enough of it. I'm a Chicago Bears fan, and I know a thing about hanging onto to something, albeit something special, for way too long. Move on...

Wasn't a big fan of the whole "Death of"....however....

the Reign of Return of Superman - was intriguing as the writers had a perfect opportunity to really break out of the limits put on Superman due to the 85 reboot and, make Superman more 'cosmic' more powerful and less 'earthbound' by eliminating constraints of needing to breathe in space by via Oxygen tank, flying at warp speeds etc...until the writers virtually and literally - syphoned his power increase off.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I think it's overrated. If for no other reason than the fact that Doomsday can't fly. Throw him into space and that's pretty much the end of that threat. But without it, we wouldn't have Conner so I can't say it was a bad thing. What's interesting is that it's the one story from his history that they decided to keep for sure but there's no way it could have happened now! At least not the way we saw. Half of it depends on the birthing matrix. And Lois figuring out the Cyborg wasn't the real Superman because the real Superman wasn't a Superboy when he was young was undone with Johns origin. The Cyborg would have gotten away with it today!
    Assassinate Putin!

A mediocre tale that lit absolute fire due to just a perfect storm of circumstances that resulted in a lot of mainstream attention. On its own, it then resulted in two much better and fantastic storylines: Funeral for A Friend, then Reign of the Supermen. In the end though, the iconic nature of the story has more often than not come back to bite Superman in the succeeding years instead of aid him; Superman dying and coming back to life has becoming an unnecessary hallmark of the character that seemingly has to occur with EVERY incarnation now, and its beyond played and stymies creativity in regards to what kind of stories can be told in other media, as they always fall back on that at some point.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

BANNED

Overrated,
    honestly, Doomsday is just not a great villain, Cyborg Superman is okay, but I feel like Doomsday is just way overused.
    Hell, Even Alan Moore used Doomsday in Supreme.

Master Hero Vladimir

The Death of Superman is fine and I enjoyed it, but considering many people have been singing their praises how important this particular story arc was to the Superman universe, I feel like it didn't live up to that reputation. Dan Jurgens delivered an amazing level of detail and nuance to characters and the world they live in and the art was incredible, especially during the iconic fight scene.

Unfortunately, much like The Dark Phoenix Saga did to the X-Men, I feel like The Death of Superman cast a long shadow over the Superman franchise. Many adaptations introduce Doomsday just to try their hand at adapting this story arc, and while I won't say no to a good action scene involving our beloved Man of Steel, I feel that The Death of Superman has lost its dramatic tension because many people try to imitate it. Doomsday exists solely to kill Superman, much like Bane exists to cripple Batman and the Phoenix exists to possess Jean Grey (or maybe Jean Grey exists solely to be possessed by the Phoenix).

Doomsday is a great character, on paper, but I think he should be used very sparingly in the Superman saga. Dan Jurgens is, in my opinion, Doomsday's best caretaker. He always found creative uses for Doomsday that never downplayed his ferocity and power. Under Jurgens' pen, Doomsday was never brought down several pegs just to prop up or propel another character forward, except of course Superman, and that's because he is the hero of the story.

To conclude my statement, I don't think The Death of Superman should be adapted for the foreseeable future. Yes, it was a good story and had a lasting impact on Superman and the comic book industry as a whole, but it limits creative and storytelling possibilities for future adaptations of Superman, and really, what does it say about Superman when the most celebrated moment of his career is his death? When did we stop celebrating Superman's life? Superman deserves better.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

I don't care about it at all.

When it came out is was interesting because it was different, maybe not "GOOD", but different. The way it was told, the triangle era, was a unique thing for Superman. Rodger Stern did some good work, as he always did. The way fandom totes it as this hyper important passion play holds all sort of weird implications for me personally, though. It has become this sort of religious event for some and I feel like it must carry religious weight subconsciously for some fans.

Beyond that, it's just boring now. Doomsday came out the gate as a tired creation. Superman dying isnt nearly as interesting a concept as people think it is.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 02-17-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Pretty classic. Superman is old and steady losing ground to new and edgy, so he's ushered out by the ultimate product of the times and replaced by four newer, edgier supermen. By making slight updates to embrace the 90s, he comes back and proves that old and steady is tried and true.

Also, he's pooped out by a robot and Hal Jordan gets his whole world destroyed.

I feel like the saga is a victim of its own success. Like for one thing, Death is treated as a story when by itself it really isn't. The plot isn't really in there, it's just a big action kickoff. So people look at it and go, "oh it sucks, it's just a fight scene." Without really sitting down with it or following up. If anyone has played the Death and Return game, I think they'd understand how weird it would be to review the game only after the first stage.

It's probably the most famous superhero story at this point despite that and hilariously, most other superheroes have straight up copied it. Some cases on multiple occasions, sometimes they try to pretend it's being ironic, but we all see you.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I think it's overrated. If for no other reason than the fact that Doomsday can't fly. Throw him into space and that's pretty much the end of that threat.
    That didn't work though.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I like it, but I dislike how overused it’s become. There are plenty of other stories that have never seen the light of day in outside media that I want to see adapted. Also Doomsday on his own is a boring character. He’s a natural disaster in corporeal form that Superman can punch. I got that writers want to use him to push Supes to his limit, but I fear that part of the reason Supes Rogues Gallery has stagnated is because writers just keep rehashing Lex and Doomsday stories.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

I think the idea behind the story and its follow up are top shelf, but I don't care for the actual story much at all. It has individual moments or lines that I either like or maybe respect on some level, but I can't say I'm fond of what's actually on the page.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

I like it. The whole Death/Reign saga has become an stepping stone in the character's mythos. It's a powerful story when executed well like in the recent animated 'Death of Superman/Reign of the Supermen' movies. It wasn't nearly as powerful in Batman V Superman, however...

What I like about this story is that it shows how important the real Superman truly is for Metropolis and the world. Others can try to be him, but there is only one Clark Kent. I hope we get the proper live action adaptation of this story in 10 or 15 years or so. Right now, it's really time to see Superman vs Brainiac, though..

Last edited by stargazer01; 02-17-2019 at 04:36 PM.

I love the whole thing. Death kinda is what it is, it's fun though. And #75 has a certain type of feeling.

But Funeral and Reign are where it's at. Lots of good stuff in there.