Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

It was pretty thrilling to me. Superman felt slightly out of step with some of the edgier comics of the time so I completely bought that DC would kill him off. I thought the buildup leading to Doomsday’s first appearance was well done. The battle was exciting to me because it was something I’d never seen before. Really good storyline for me! I’m a pre-Crisis fan but the late 80’s - 1993 was an amazing time to read Superman. Comics had just enough sophistication to really engage me but hadn’t become the slow paced “tv scripts’ they would end up being. These still felt like “comic books”. I thought the titles lost focus after Superman came back. I never enjoyed the titles as much again.

A tremendous event to me!

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I can't imagine how thrilling it was at the time. The build up issues with the Jackal and others were cool and then the fight itself was the biggest American comics have seen. I know the news was leaked through buzz and solicits, but there were still some chilling/epic scenes people couldn't spoil, like when they trade punches and all the windows shatter. I've mentioned it before but it kinda reminds me of when Mr. Burns got shot on the Simpsons, that scene where the taunted citizens are snarling is like when Jimmy mentions never seeing the big guy so fired up. I think the only similar thing in my time as a reader has been Action #1000, but Superman #75 and Adventures #500 were each about five times bigger.

I'd have loved going home with each issue and reading on repeat. Especially because hype aside, the creators were handling business as usual. I die every time I see that Bugs shirt.

Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I don't think it came across in my last post, but just for the record I was absolutely thrilled and enthralled with the story when I read it the first time. And its some of my most cherished comics in my collection. I just don't want it to seem like I didn't love the hell out of it at the time, I mean it started my whole obsession in the first place, so obviously it had a major impact with me. The negative feelings I have for the concept now are for more in its lasting legacy and how like I said, I don't feel its been entirely beneficial. But I still have strong feelings for it in my personal memory and always will. Any panel of it shown always floods back the memories.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Death and Return of Superman is a well-told story that didn't need to be told and that I really don't think needed to be as influential and popular as it was. I like Henshaw, Steel and Superboy though, and I'm glad we got them out of the story. They definitely make the whole thing worth it in my book, even if I do generally think of Doomsday as a one trick pony and Henshaw as a twist that only works well once.

For what it's worth, I think Superman's fight with Doomsday and subsequent death in Batman v Superman by far eclipses the original comic or any other adaptation. Stealing King Arthur's death from Excalibur helped a lot with that.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Bugs Bunny girl still gives me the feels. I dunno, anytime something that's supposed to be cute is juxtaposed with something sad it makes me more sad, lol. Like standard fare scenes in anime when a town is destroyed and you see a lone teddy bear or toy discarded and burning. Does this make any sense at all?
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I like those stray details of a world where things happen outside of the plot. Trends and stuff that put people out of place when an event suddenly happens, as if they're dropped into the story from their own life. Like Outburst doesn't just remember Superman vs Doomsday, he remembers being in a crappy situation with his dad when Superman vs Doomsday passed through. That was the magic of the supporting cast.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Bugs Bunny girl still gives me the feels. I dunno, anytime something that's supposed to be cute is juxtaposed with something sad it makes me more sad, lol. Like standard fare scenes in anime when a town is destroyed and you see a lone teddy bear or toy discarded and burning. Does this make any sense at all?
    That's the entire purpose of those images, to instill those feelings.