Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Newsarama just published a new article about the Mexican Spider-Man offshoot, interviewing the artist of those issues, a José Luis Durán:

How GWEN STACY Was Saved (& Married PETER) In MARVEL's Mexican AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Title
    More or less a nothingburger. And anyway redundant. Life Story #2 showed a married Gwen Stacy and it's not a dream there...

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    More or less a nothingburger. And anyway redundant. Life Story #2 showed a married Gwen Stacy and it's not a dream there...
    Except the story behind Life Story as a comic book is nothing like the tale of how El Sorprendente Hombre Araña came about. Plus it's interesting to hear from the artist of the series instead of mostly second hand speculation, which it mostly was a month or so ago - hardly a nothingburger by my account. But thanks for your comment.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

for someone so passionate about comics trivia, i would have thought you could understand why this quirky off-shoot is fascinating for some
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by boots View Post
    for someone so passionate about comics trivia, i would have thought you could understand why this quirky off-shoot is fascinating for some
    I would if it was actually what people thought it was for a hot second which this newsarama post confirms it wasn't...i.e. a protest run that had Gwen survive. This was basically just an attempt to pad out comics with dream sequences and spinning of wheels. And nope, it's no feminist protest at fridging, it's basically all about Gwen's perfect behind and the many creative ways they can compose the cover to feature it without repeating themselves. Milo Manara eat your heart out. Nor is this evidence of any Mexican fan following of Gwen Stacy specifically.

The good bit is that the artist is getting some attention, and if this gets reprinted and translated then I hope he gets pay and some credit, and maybe more work.

I would if it was actually what people thought it was for a hot second which this newsarama post confirms it wasn't...i.e. a protest run that had Gwen survive. This was basically just an attempt to pad out comics with dream sequences and spinning of wheels. And nope, it's no feminist protest at fridging, it's basically all about Gwen's perfect behind and the many creative ways they can compose the cover to feature it without repeating themselves. Milo Manara eat your heart out. Nor is this evidence of any Mexican fan following of Gwen Stacy specifically.

The good bit is that the artist is getting some attention, and if this gets reprinted and translated then I hope he gets pay and some credit, and maybe more work.
    i must have missed the bit where people saw this as a feminist protest, but the internet does tend to take a ball and run far far far with it these days.

i see it as an oddity. but i also love stuff like marvel uk transformers and how trippy stuff like robotech is in contrast to macross.
    troo fan or death

BANNED

Yes, but it still turns out to be a bit of a nightmare for Peter...
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 04-20-2019 at 02:26 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    Newsarama just published a new article about the Mexican Spider-Man offshoot, interviewing the artist of those issues, a José Luis Durán:

How GWEN STACY Was Saved (& Married PETER) In MARVEL's Mexican AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Title
    It's great to hear from the artist himself, but the framing article is very poorly researched and inaccurate. As we've established in this thread, the series was cancelled before they even reached "The Night Gwen Stacy Died".

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post

Yes, but it still turns out to be a bit of a nightmare for Peter...
    Being married was not a nightmare but a dream for Peter and Gwen/Helen. Norman, Miles, Peter, and Harry each played a role to transformed it all into a nightmare for Peter, Gwen, and Helen in the end.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Being married was not a nightmare but a dream for Peter and Gwen/Helen. Norman, Miles, Peter, and Harry each played a role to transformed it all into a nightmare for Peter, Gwen, and Helen in the end.
    Hence why I said it "turned out" to be a nightmare. Everyone starts a marriage thinking it's a dream come true.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Hence why I said it "turned out" to be a nightmare. Everyone starts a marriage thinking it's a dream come true.
    Just that it's best not to be broard about it. Using one Earth version as the bases for all versions usually don't work. Before you wrote the statement which holds true the person before you wrote: "Life Story #2 showed a married Gwen Stacy and it's not a dream there" It's a statement written in a way that feels like the person is saying 'All Peter and Gwen's of the Multiverses can't be and here is proof by one recent version'

Like saying for Peter and MJ will also turn out be a bit of a nightmare and can't have a child because one versions made a deal with the devil (fortinuite that dream to nightmare can shift back to dream and I hope will soon) and another MJ died by spider sperm. Multiverse and writers for characters of Multiverses can be influenced by past versions but the power of anything can happen and imagination is still the biggest positive factors in the Multiverse vs repeating the exact same story, characterizations, fates, pathways, choices, powers, and so much more.

The greatest nightmares for these characters are not the one's they had no power over but the one's they did and still made a nightmare from for themselves and others when morally or consciousness choices or words faulting. Usually when emotions override moral and/or critical thinking and actions.
    In Life Story Norman, Miles, Peter, and Harry made various choices of words or actions that lead to Gwen dying outside of Gwen's or Helen's power or choice yet they are amoung the victims in turn. Helen made the only moral correct choice and stated words that served as Gwen's best hope to live after others made their words and actions happen but in the end Gwen still died. Helen was in shock and disgust at Miles and Norman as the others yet still was the only one to make the right morel choice yet having no power to take action had to influence Peter to make the right moral action when he wasn't (and agian if there was any hope to survive it lowers as time passes per second).

Marvel should print this and sell it as a special trade "Gwen Lives" limited or something, I'd buy it.
    The city I once knew as home is teetering on the edge of radioactive oblivion

Astonishing Member

IIRC, these were done without Marvel's consent. If so, not sure how the copyright would work to have a TPB on something that was done illegally.

Edit: Yep, it looks like it was done without Marvel's consent. I found this Sorprendente Hombre Arana cover with characters that aren't owned by Marvel.

Last edited by shooshoomanjoe; 04-21-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Astonishing Member

Never mind, found this:

(too lazy to check if this has already been posted)

The hero became the banner of Marvel in Latin America. He was the most recognized character by children and adults, and his stories, located between adventure and drama, made the world feel identified with him. Such was the success that the publication returned to be biweekly, then weekly and the press and Sunday strips were added in the newspaper of the same name of La Prensa.

The need to have more material to publish from the superhero caused the director of La Prensa to travel to the United States, to the Marvel offices in New York, and request a special permission to the license they had acquired from the arachnid in order to publish material own, created with a 100% Mexican team.

The director of La Prensa did not arrive empty-handed. He had asked some artists of the publisher to do tests that he could teach in Marvel, and demonstrate that they could generate their own licensed content. Marvel not only gave him permission to make his own comics, but also selected the artist in charge of performing the feat. Your name: José Luis Durán.
    In an interview, the teacher Durán narrates those events in the following way :

"The director of the newspaper went straight to propose the test material to see if they gave him permission to make the material of Spider-Man, to fill the holes that were left in the monthly publication of the gringos, compared to Mexico that was biweekly. Then I began to draw with permission, not direct in Marvel but to the Press, which was the owner at that time of the 'service'.

In this case, Duran called "service" to draw what the publisher requested and in it, although young, was not inexperienced. In his curriculum he could already boast of having created more than 40 covers for the comic of El Santo published by José G. Cruz. In addition, the Mexican had already worked drawing the "friendly neighbor" of New York "in the newspaper of La Prensa.

"I started drawing daily for the newspaper, followed by Sunday and then we launched into the magazine. We made all three options, "he said in another interview.

Thus it was that from number 123 of The Surprising Spiderman (March 15, 1972) was published the first comic of Spider Man made entirely in Mexico . Decades before Humberto Ramos fulfilled his dream of being a Spider-Ma n artist , the teacher Durán became the first Mexican artist to take the reigns of Spiderman and with adventures created expressly for the Mexican public.

In total, there are 45 Mexican episodes, written mostly by Raúl Martinez and with drawings by the aforementioned José Luis González Durán. In addition, Duran drew more than a thousand strips of the character created by Stan Lee and Steve Ditko; replaced on some occasions by Roberto Ávila. In that same era, there were also published adventures by Nick Fury made in Mexico, drawn by Ramiro Zittle.

Quote Originally Posted by AngelJD View Post
    Not able to read the comics but looking at the covers I can see a pattern. Sadly the covers lack design and creativity and looks like photoshop before photoshop. Also I see that usually there would be a gal placed on the cover posing like a model (if not Gwen then suddernly some other gal I might or might not recognize). For me it seems like Gwen's but is the main star of the comic is that is flashed on the covers with higher hierarchy on some covers. Since many people might based their opinions on covers which might not hold true to what is inside but overall the covers would not reach me in terms of feeling the woman inside would be more than 'cheesecake' sadly (not just Gwen but MJ, or other women in Peter's life and even the female villains wouldn't look imposing/dangerous in some form vs the male counterparts).

Looking over those Mexican Gwen covers these three stood out for me in some form:

Since a idea or a tale can appear inside a mind just from a cover this is what I see forming when I see these covers. First off I think Gwen might have ghost powers here. Since we make assumptions and even possibilities of stories that might play out inside just from covers we view (once agian though many times what is present on a cover is vastly different from the true stories and characters inside a comic) plus in the recent comics Earth-65 Gwen series trying to be labeled as Ghost-Spider right now in my mind after seeing this was in Mexico to me maybe Gwen was affected on the bridge (mutant power awaken maybe or planet alignment stuff when her neck took the hit or luck) where she is part alive and part dead with powers of a ghost. That seeing Spider-man taking a hit from the Kingpin and both not focusing on her allowing her new secret abilities to remain unknown to anybody she is activating her ghost powers to take possession of a knockout (or seeing the blood a dead body with now no soul inside) of the man to battle the Kingpin herself alongside Spider-man. Her arm to me appears like it has entered the guy.

This one the story forming in my head is based that for me it appears Gwen is wall crawling due to how it's slanted while wearing that outfit many know her to wear due to looking like or being her 616 stand out death outfit. On the cover it seems Spider-man is battling the Rhino (standard stuff) meanwhile elsewhere Gwen Stacy less worried about using her new powers that are spiritual and magical in a way by it's nature but being a scientist and budding detective following her father's footsteps begins researching and testing her abilities going back to the bridge where everything changed for her. Using her new wall crawling powers to look for any clues to how this is all possible for her from the area she was suddernly stopped to the the top where when Spider-man was holding her crying believing she was dead Gwen felt something and a connection to Spider-man (in many ways).
    Revealing her new ghost procession powers that not just allows her to enter into other people's bodies to take control or see inside a mind and psyche of others started at that moment yet her body had to take something nearby to heal her body and compete her healing resurrection. That for Gwen's new ghost procession powers kicked in and by chance taking Spider-man's powers as part of her new abilities due to him being the first to hold her so close to him when he was in grief that her procession powers had half of her body sliding into him unknowingly. That her new procession ghost powers can also allow her to sap powers into her body from touch for a limited time but took a bit more of Spider-man's abilities back into her body permanently since he was the first that were activated on imprinting her. The discoveries and beginning origins tale of a Mexican 'Ghost -Spider'

This one stood out to me of the couple of Gwen mexican higher hierarchy design covers though not nearly as much as the last two simply as while as usually Gwen is being used to pose a bit in the front I felt out of the varous model type and Gwen's but poses this one gives off at least vibe of a stronger woman than pure cheesecake with a bit of confidence in her pose and look. That if I was combining this with those last two story playing out in my mind ideas just from covers that this Gwen has finally felt fully comfortable with her new changes/powers in her life and ready to take on the world as a new stronger woman and hero.
    Though also on that same cover it has her being the typical 'damsel in distress' appearance on the left side of the comic but agian based on her facial appearance for me it seems Gwen doesn't want to opening showcase her secret powers that Spider-man who just entered might see or the other mooks but Gwen seeing people getting knocked out is planning her escape and procession seeing the recently knock out mook she could use to do so that when Spider-man turns around Gwen will be gone and that is oddly happening for poor Peter that Gwen constantly instantly disappearing on him particularly when danger is nearby since 'the bridge scare' and now even when he is Spider-man trying to save her she always seems to be gone in a second).
    The funny thing to me is how they colored Peter's and Norman's hair black to try to make them look less anglo and more Mexican. Yet Gwen remains blonde...lol.