Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I'm super curious about how the licencing of the Spider-Man character worked here, as speculated above. It's hard to believe that Marvel's head office wouldn't have signed off on this at some point, otherwise it'd surely have been shut down pretty fast. The logistics of how this became a thing is a bit fascinating.
    Around those times, Mexico was really soft regarding this type of licensing stuff. Bootleg toys and comics were rampant. One of the most popular comics of the time, Fantomas, based on the character of the same name that run for nearly 3 decades, never mind that the character was completely unlicensed.

The funny thing is that this was a serious editorial, that had the license from Marvel to publish the comics. Could they at some point started doing comics without Marvel's consent? Quite possibly, actually. As meanwhile Marvel wasn't looking, they might been fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Chan View Post
    Around those times, Mexico was really soft regarding this type of licensing stuff. Bootleg toys and comics were rampant. One of the most popular comics of the time, Fantomas, based on the character of the same name that run for nearly 3 decades, never mind that the character was completely unlicensed.

The funny thing is that this was a serious editorial, that had the license from Marvel to publish the comics. Could they at some point started doing comics without Marvel's consent? Quite possibly, actually. As meanwhile Marvel wasn't looking, they might been fine.
    This was the story I had most frequently heard.

I had also heard Marvel made them stop when they did look, but given how many creators today and of that era had no idea that this even existed, maybe don't think that's what actually happened.

It seems that they only stopped because the editorial, La Prensa, just stopped publishing comics altogether. Quite posible Marvel never found out about it.

Astonishing Member

https://codigoespagueti.com/noticias...hechos-mexico/

This article says that they got special permission from Marvel to produce original stories.

But the title of this thread should be changed, it's very misleading. The new material was produced to meet the weekly schedule and began in March 1972 - over a year before Gwen Stacy was killed off in the USA. The company stopped publishing comics before they reached the "Death of Gwen Stacy" story. The marriage to Gwen was a dream/hallucination sequence.

Upon reading some of this martial (I know Spanish) I can not help but wonder how close these stories are to what Stan Lee & Co. originally envisioned for the characters? It has been stated on multiple occasions Stan Lee & Co. wanted Peter/Spider-Man, Gwen & MJ to be involved in a long-term love triangle (inspired by Archie), or at least constantly tease such a possibility.
    Last edited by Celgress; 02-17-2019 at 06:02 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    https://codigoespagueti.com/noticias...hechos-mexico/

This article says that they got special permission from Marvel to produce original stories.

But the title of this thread should be changed, it's very misleading. The new material was produced to meet the weekly schedule and began in March 1972 - over a year before Gwen Stacy was killed off in the USA. The company stopped publishing comics before they reached the "Death of Gwen Stacy" story. The marriage to Gwen was a dream/hallucination sequence.
    Only just. The issue they stopped on was the one immediately prior to The Night Gwen Stacy Died.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Actually managed to find an issue online. Jonah convinces Peter, Gwen and Robertson to accompany him on a trip to a mysterious and dangerous island. They get captured by natives and Gwen is sacrificed to a giant. Art is quite good although the artist took liberties with Gwen's shape.

"Once more the Sith will rule the galaxy... and we shall have peace."

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Peril View Post
    Actually managed to find an issue online. Jonah convinces Peter, Gwen and Robertson to accompany him on a trip to a mysterious and dangerous island. They get captured by natives and Gwen is sacrificed to a giant. Art is quite good although the artist took liberties with Gwen's shape....
    Yup, most of the issues are goofy like this but hey it was the era of comic book silliness.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I already knew about this, but I’m happy that it’s getting more recognition. Wish they could get released in their entirety and with interpreted versions.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

I think its kind of hilarious how despite Gwen being considered 'boring and chaste' (hence the counterpart of the wild and sexy MJ) these comics just made Gwen into a cheesecake machine.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Gwen's cheesecake covers isn't far off from how she was portrayed in Roy Thomas' bizarre, inane, and nonsensical Savage Land Trilogy where she's in a red bikini in a jungle for three issues and shows more skin than MJ ever did for some 260 issues.

This situation of localized takes on Spider-Man is similar to the Donald Duck comics where originally it was all Barks but then people from Europe made their own takes in Italy and Denmark.
    The big difference here being that those comics where translated to other languages and shared in many countries.
    Not to mention that most Disney comics like that has never had as strict a continuation as Marvel comics.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    The marriage to Gwen was a dream/hallucination sequence.
    That's what I said here too after reading the issue. It's unfortunate for this material that the Gwen fans are driving this narrative on social media these are the adventures of a married Peter and Gwen. If they were to be translated/reprinted, there would be many dissapointed fans.

Fascinating. It would probably take a lot of resources to find all those issues intact, let alone the proofs. It would be quite a find if they were all to be gathered, then put in a digital compilation that is available for Marvel's subscription service.

Well, kudos, for the creatives involved!

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I was surprised how many American comic creators and followers didn't know about this, actually.
    Yeah, some of these images have been circulating. Granted, I didn’t know the details. I thought it was masssive copyright infringement, rather than a response to Gwen’s death.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Yeah, some of these images have been circulating. Granted, I didn’t know the details. I thought it was masssive copyright infringement, rather than a response to Gwen’s death.
    It wasn't a response to Gwen's death. The new stories started before Gwen had been killed off in the USA. The publisher stopped making comics before they caught up to Amazing Spider-Man #121.