Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Gwen Stacy and the Mexican Spider-Man

So this is blowing up a little on the comic related social medias - I'm not sure if it's ever been talked about here, but here's the gist from a user named "comickeys" on Twitter:

In the 1970's, publisher La Prensa did not believe Mexicans would read Spider-man after Gwen Stacy died. They created 45 original issues after Spiderman 119 where she lives, that have never been translated or reprinted. This is their marriage issue. Marvel needs to collect these!
    gwen stacy lives 02.jpg

It's amazing that there's about 4 years worth of untapped adventures (except for the people of Mexico) in basically what's an alternate universe, where Gwen Stacy remained alive and Peter's main squeeze. I'm surprised that such a series hasn't been collected for English audiences, if the author is to be believed.
    ♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•*

♪ღ♪░NORAH░WINTERS░FOR░SPIDER-WAIFU░♪ღ♪

*•♪ღ♪*•.¸¸¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪¸.•*¨ ¨*•.¸¸¸.•*•♪ღ♪•«

BANNED

I've heard of these before, does Marvel have an official universe designation for this?

Not sure! I get the feeling that right now, it does not - but I may be wrong.

BANNED

Couple of more covers

Here's additional information from Reddit:

In a post earlier today (with 6 cool Mexican Spider-Man covers), I briefly summarised the obscure history of Spider-Man comics made and published in Mexico. That comment got a lot of upvotes and several people wanted to know more. I've done some more digging and realised that my comment didn't cover the whole story and was slightly wrong... so here's the full history with lots of great pics!

Amazing Spider-Man #1 was published in March 1963. Within 3 months, this issue was translated and reprinted in Mexico under the title *El Sorprendente Hombre Araña" by the publisher La Prensa.

Spidey was an instant hit in Mexico, and La Prensa continued to publish Spanish translations of Amazing Spider-Man. There was sufficient demand for a weekly title, but the US comic only came out every month or so. Initially, La Prensa translated and reprinted other, similar Marvel titles like The Avengers and Tales to Astonish, see here and here. However, these titles weren't as popular as Spider-Man.

La Prensa wanted to do their own Spidey comics for the Mexican audience. Here's where things get a bit murky. Some sources indicate that Marvel gave La Prensa permission to do write their own Spidey comics, whilst other sources say that La Prensa didn't get permission and just decided to publish their own stories anyway. I've seen references to Marvel editorial specifically stating that these comics were unauthorised, but I can't find the statements themselves, so I'm not sure what to believe. Anyway, starting with #123, La Prensa went ahead and made their own Spidey comics - mostly written by Raúl Martinez and drawn by José Luis González Durán. This means there's a whole bunch of unique Mexican stories - unfortunately I've only been able to find the covers online. Here's a gallery of the unique Mexican covers from 123-139: https://imgur.com/a/3hTef Some of the covers clearly just re-use Romita's interior or cover art, whilst others have been done from scratch for the Mexican series.

Until issue #144, the series went back and forth between US reprints and unique Mexican stories. However, the series started to focus more and more on Mexican stories - between #145 and #185 there were just 6 US stories against 35 Mexican stories. Here's a full list of the issues published by La Prensa: ("Cómic hecho en Mexico" means "Made in Mexico") http://www.kingdomcomics.org/spiderman.html And here's a full gallery of the covers from #146 onwards: https://imgur.com/a/s45ui Unlike the earlier covers, there's no obvious rip-offs - these are unique covers (apologies for the poor quality of a few of them). Some of the covers are really cool and quite different to the US ones at the time.

I have only read a few of the unique Mexican Spidey stories. As far as I know, no English translation exists, and the comics themselves are pretty rare. As indicated by the earlier post and as is clear from the covers, the biggest difference between the US and Mexican stories is the focus on Gwen Stacey. Gwen is drawn... well... take a look for yourselves! From what I've read, she was also a major focus of the Mexican stories, even moreso than in the US stories.

La Prensa lost the licence in 1974 and OEPISA started printing Spidey comics instead. One forum post I found said that La Prensa lost the licence because it was making and publishing its own, unauthorised Spider-Man comics, but my main source (the excellent Spider-Mex website) doesn't say anything about that. The La Prensa comics go up to #185, with the last translated/reprint being Amazing Spider-Man #120. As I'm sure most of you know, Gwen Stacey was killed in Amazing Spider-Man #121. This means that the La Prensa comics ended just before Gwen was killed - as far as I can tell, this was a complete coincidence, and La Prensa didn't give up the licence just because it's favourite character was killed off!

That's all I've been able to dig up for now. If anyone has any questions, please do ask because I've not put everything down in this post (it was getting too long).

TL;DR - about 45 unique Mexican Spidey stories were published in the 1970s, which focused a lot on Gwen Stacey and had some really cool covers
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Spiderman/c...and_published/
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-17-2019 at 05:37 AM.

BANNED

Gwen's cheesecake covers isn't far off from how she was portrayed in Roy Thomas' bizarre, inane, and nonsensical Savage Land Trilogy where she's in a red bikini in a jungle for three issues and shows more skin than MJ ever did for some 260 issues.

This situation of localized takes on Spider-Man is similar to the Donald Duck comics where originally it was all Barks but then people from Europe made their own takes in Italy and Denmark.

I was surprised how many American comic creators and followers didn't know about this, actually.

There must be more than one Reddit post, because that quoted info isn't in this thread - which was posted by Champions writer Jim Zub!
    https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/...n_stacy_lived/
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

I just read the full wedding issue, there's only a few pages devoted to Peter and Gwen in the whole thing, the main story is Norman becoming the Goblin and targeting Aunt May. The wedding is actually a dream.
    Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-17-2019 at 07:57 AM.

My subconscious actually retconned a new AU into our universe while I was asleep-- Wow! I am so powerful!
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

I'm super curious about how the licencing of the Spider-Man character worked here, as speculated above. It's hard to believe that Marvel's head office wouldn't have signed off on this at some point, otherwise it'd surely have been shut down pretty fast. The logistics of how this became a thing is a bit fascinating.
    Last edited by Zeitgeist; 02-17-2019 at 08:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
    I'm super curious about how the licencing of the Spider-Man character worked here, as speculated above. It's hard to believe that Marvel's head office wouldn't have signed off on this at some point, otherwise it'd surely have been shut down pretty fast. The logistics of how this became a thing is a bit fascinating.
    I've heard conflicting reports on this over the years. I do think it is important to keep in mind when this occurred. Today's licensing standards definitely do not apply.

Not able to read the comics but looking at the covers I can see a pattern. Sadly the covers lack design and creativity and looks like photoshop before photoshop. Also I see that usually there would be a gal placed on the cover posing like a model (if not Gwen then suddernly some other gal I might or might not recognize). For me it seems like Gwen's but is the main star of the comic is that is flashed on the covers with higher hierarchy on some covers. Since many people might based their opinions on covers which might not hold true to what is inside but overall the covers would not reach me in terms of feeling the woman inside would be more than 'cheesecake' sadly (not just Gwen but MJ, or other women in Peter's life and even the female villains wouldn't look imposing/dangerous in some form vs the male counterparts).

Looking over those Mexican Gwen covers these three stood out for me in some form:

Since a idea or a tale can appear inside a mind just from a cover this is what I see forming when I see these covers. First off I think Gwen might have ghost powers here. Since we make assumptions and even possibilities of stories that might play out inside just from covers we view (once agian though many times what is present on a cover is vastly different from the true stories and characters inside a comic) plus in the recent comics Earth-65 Gwen series trying to be labeled as Ghost-Spider right now in my mind after seeing this was in Mexico to me maybe Gwen was affected on the bridge (mutant power awaken maybe or planet alignment stuff when her neck took the hit or luck) where she is part alive and part dead with powers of a ghost. That seeing Spider-man taking a hit from the Kingpin and both not focusing on her allowing her new secret abilities to remain unknown to anybody she is activating her ghost powers to take possession of a knockout (or seeing the blood a dead body with now no soul inside) of the man to battle the Kingpin herself alongside Spider-man. Her arm to me appears like it has entered the guy.

This one the story forming in my head is based that for me it appears Gwen is wall crawling due to how it's slanted while wearing that outfit many know her to wear due to looking like or being her 616 stand out death outfit. On the cover it seems Spider-man is battling the Rhino (standard stuff) meanwhile elsewhere Gwen Stacy less worried about using her new powers that are spiritual and magical in a way by it's nature but being a scientist and budding detective following her father's footsteps begins researching and testing her abilities going back to the bridge where everything changed for her. Using her new wall crawling powers to look for any clues to how this is all possible for her from the area she was suddernly stopped to the the top where when Spider-man was holding her crying believing she was dead Gwen felt something and a connection to Spider-man (in many ways).
    Revealing her new ghost procession powers that not just allows her to enter into other people's bodies to take control or see inside a mind and psyche of others started at that moment yet her body had to take something nearby to heal her body and compete her healing resurrection. That for Gwen's new ghost procession powers kicked in and by chance taking Spider-man's powers as part of her new abilities due to him being the first to hold her so close to him when he was in grief that her procession powers had half of her body sliding into him unknowingly. That her new procession ghost powers can also allow her to sap powers into her body from touch for a limited time but took a bit more of Spider-man's abilities back into her body permanently since he was the first that were activated on imprinting her. The discoveries and beginning origins tale of a Mexican 'Ghost -Spider'

This one stood out to me of the couple of Gwen mexican higher hierarchy design covers though not nearly as much as the last two simply as while as usually Gwen is being used to pose a bit in the front I felt out of the varous model type and Gwen's but poses this one gives off at least vibe of a stronger woman than pure cheesecake with a bit of confidence in her pose and look. That if I was combining this with those last two story playing out in my mind ideas just from covers that this Gwen has finally felt fully comfortable with her new changes/powers in her life and ready to take on the world as a new stronger woman and hero.
    Though also on that same cover it has her being the typical 'damsel in distress' appearance on the left side of the comic but agian based on her facial appearance for me it seems Gwen doesn't want to opening showcase her secret powers that Spider-man who just entered might see or the other mooks but Gwen seeing people getting knocked out is planning her escape and procession seeing the recently knock out mook she could use to do so that when Spider-man turns around Gwen will be gone and that is oddly happening for poor Peter that Gwen constantly instantly disappearing on him particularly when danger is nearby since 'the bridge scare' and now even when he is Spider-man trying to save her she always seems to be gone in a second).
    Last edited by AngelJD; 02-17-2019 at 09:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    I was surprised how many American comic creators and followers didn't know about this, actually.
    Yeah, so was I!

Those covers definitely emphasize Gwen's...(ahem) attractiveness .

BANNED

Tom Brevoort just shared this on his Facebook!