Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default Cullen Bunn talks about what could've happened in Uncanny and Blue

Cullen Bunn has answered a question about what he wanted to do if his Uncanny and Blue runs had lasted longer.

http://cullenbunn.tumblr.com/post/18...o-be-done-with

Oh, man!

So, so many story ideas.

Probably one of the greatest challenges I face when it comes to writing stories like this is that I plan for the long haul. Then, when a series ends, I don’t get to play in that realm any more.

Some tidbits of (Some but by no means all) of the things I wanted to do:

– The biggest was Sabretooth. I had this larger story I wanted to tell about his fall back into villainy. It was going to be something of a metaphor for alzheimer’s, which I lost my father to. It was a pretty horrifying and tragic story.

– Magneto’s new Brotherhood. Lots I wanted to do with them.

– Fantomex and the World. I set up a big story arc with Fantomex and his connection to the World that I wanted to explore.

– X-Men Blue… my original pitch for the characters was that at the end of X-Men Blue they would leave the Marvel Universe… but they would get caught in the space/time stream and become the new Exiles.

– Jimmy… Poison… There was a lot of potential to do something with him as a new anti-hero, I thought.

And those are just a few that I can think of off the top of my head. If I dove into my notes, I’m sure there are lots more.
    It's obvious that Blue was cancelled early and didn't reach it's natural conclusion. We already knew Uncanny was as well.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Fire and life incarnate! phoenixzero23's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post

It's obvious that Blue was cancelled early and didn't reach it's natural conclusion. We already knew Uncanny was as well.
    I thought blue was supposed to end at 18 but was extended.

The Exiles thing isn't surprising, I think most people thought Blue would have worked better as that kind of team.
    Current Pull: Amazing Spider-Man and Domino

Bunn for Deadpool's Main Book!

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Saw this a few days ago too. I wish his Uncanny run had continued. I was more interested in that than the current one from Rosenberg.

I especially wanted to see Sabretooth's story play out in an actual detailed, developed, and consistent manner ,compared to the ping-ponging inconsistent, half-assed story we got from Pak. The Alzheimer's metaphor shows just how dark & tragic things could've gotten under Bunn. I am more interested in hearing more about this than anything else with Creed right now.

But we're just seeing more of Bunn getting the shaft by the X-Office while other writers who don't seem as detailed or consistent get to do as they please. All his ideas sound interesting, except the Exiles one. Don't hate it, but iffy on it.

Blue was extended, the X-Office just doesn't let anyone with any sense of long-term planning be on a title for a few years to see that plan through, when that very simple formula is what makes the other editorial offices much stronger.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Fantastic Member

Being honest, I dug the "Adventures in Space & Time" issues of Blue (including the Venom stuff), and I even dug the replacement team while the O5 were away. I certainly would have continued buying it had it gone on, or even in a different direction.

By the way, Bunn's Tumblr is now an AMA platform like Jim Zub's, so feel free to ask him questions!
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Essentially, Cullen Bunn is Superman's dad. Those in power didn't listen to him, and the planet exploded.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

BANNED

People like to talk mad **** about Bunn, but the truth is that the dude was pretty much with his hands permanently tied after Erik's solo ended. He really had some great ideas and his Uncanny, along with most of Blue, shows the nice grasp he has on characters voices and some real creativity. It's a damn shame he couldn't do more with what he had.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    Essentially, Cullen Bunn is Superman's dad. Those in power didn't listen to him, and the planet exploded.
    what the hell is up with these incredibly spot-on analogies. if Cullen had the same "i can do what i want and editorial can't say ****" power as Bendis then we could've had Loa on a team instead of dead in the snow, a magical X-Men (HeX-Men) team, and an o5-led Exiles with Tempus.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycon View Post
    what the hell is up with these incredibly spot-on analogies. if Cullen had the same "i can do what i want and editorial can't say ****" power as Bendis then we could've had Loa on a team instead of dead in the snow, a magical X-Men (HeX-Men) team, and an o5-led Exiles with Tempus.
    Loa on X-Men Blue??

I think fairly highly of Bunn if not only for how fantastic Magneto was before the derailing of Secret Wars. It just became apparent when his stories were no longer his stories.

It's a shame because you of course have to work within editorial confines when working for a big company like Marvel (including working in tandem with other writers), but you still hope to see the spark of the writer's creativity and soul in the stories with their names printed across the cover. I just get that same feeling that Cullen was robbed of that opportunity to create a great story in the same way I could tell Kelly Thompson was not at her best working on Disassembled.

Quote Originally Posted by Spinster Sinister View Post
    Loa on X-Men Blue??

I think fairly highly of Bunn if not only for how fantastic Magneto was before the derailing of Secret Wars. It just became apparent when his stories were no longer his stories.

It's a shame because you of course have to work within editorial confines when working for a big company like Marvel (including working in tandem with other writers), but you still hope to see the spark of the writer's creativity and soul in the stories with their names printed across the cover. I just get that same feeling that Cullen was robbed of that opportunity to create a great story in the same way I could tell Kelly Thompson was not at her best working on Disassembled.
    Actually, that would've been cool. But she was gonna be on Fearless Defenders (and maybe if Bunn gave her some Asgardian stuff, she could've even been on his Asgardians of the Galaxy team).

http://cullenbunn.tumblr.com/post/18...uring-fearless

You could see how much fun it was setting up what could've been a godly run on Uncanny X-Men. But the fact that it just ended right as stuff started to speed up was almost as bad as following up on #600 with another extinction storyline. I do believe that Rosenberg, Thompson, and Brisson should've brought their great ideas to Disassembled as they did, but I would've wanted to see how just one writer may have handled that whole event.

Kinda glad to see the Brotherhood gone just seemed like unnecessary retreading of the past.

It sounds like I'm in the minority here but I'm glad we missed out on all this. Bunn's treatment of most of the cast of Blue was bad and I recall hearing that he didn't even want to write the O5 to begin with. If true, it showed.

Quote Originally Posted by scourge View Post
    It sounds like I'm in the minority here but I'm glad we missed out on all this. Bunn's treatment of most of the cast of Blue was bad and I recall hearing that he didn't even want to write the O5 to begin with. If true, it showed.
    He wanted to keep writing magneto, then he was offered the 05 with Magneto