Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

This may sound harsh, but I'm just going to say it. Bunn needs to stop whining about editorial influence. This is like the fifth time I'm hearing this. Every writer has to deal with this when they're working for something that has huge interconnected universe.

By the way, most of his plans, actually scratch that, all of his plans(except maybe Sabretooth) sound crappier than what actually happened. So I actually thank editorial for cutting his runs. More Fantomex?! Exile O5?! More Jimmy and Poison nonsense?! No thank you very much.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Fang View Post
    He's tied with Pak for me. The latter they're still giving books to since he's got another book coming with a character who appeared in Weapon X. I wonder if that's just his book with Hulk Cho and the Asian cast he was excited about doing last year. That's cool, and imo, he just doesn't need to be on anymore X-books.
    Brawn. He's not the Hulk any more.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post
    This may sound harsh, but I'm just going to say it. Bunn needs to stop whining about editorial influence. This is like the fifth time I'm hearing this. Every writer has to deal with this when they're working for something that has huge interconnected universe.
    Good editors make plans, arrange pieces, and let trains leave the station. The more an editor has to interfere and jab their fingers into projects, the worse the editor. Every writer is not dealing with this, no one in the Avengers or Spider office has had their laid down plans completely hijacked like people did in the Paniccia-era X-Office. Yes, things can change, yes, editors can contribute a lot, but that's supposed to happen before the pages start being printed. Not a single thing resembling a vision to spearhead the line existed during these years, and even if you don't like the ideas that could have happened, you can't excuse the fact that ideas you would have liked would never have been able to be competently executed or executed at all under these conditions.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by SpiderClops View Post

By the way, most of his plans, actually scratch that, all of his plans(except maybe Sabretooth) sound crappier than what actually happened. So I actually thank editorial for cutting his runs. More Fantomex?! Exile O5?! More Jimmy and Poison nonsense?! No thank you very much.
    Even if it sucked, at least it would be some kind of authorial vision and develop things in a way other than editorial’s constant reversion of everything to status quo. I’m sure not even all of Lord Claremont’s plots were greeted with enthusiasm by the fans at the time when he wrote the X-Men from the 12th-20th Century AD, but he took readers on a rollercoaster and made things pay off in the end more often than not.

(Is mentioning Claremont like the Godwin’s Law of X-Men?)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Cochese View Post
    Even if it sucked, at least it would be some kind of authorial vision and develop things in a way other than editorial’s constant reversion of everything to status quo. I’m sure not even all of Lord Claremont’s plots were greeted with enthusiasm by the fans at the time when he wrote the X-Men from the 12th-20th Century AD, but he took readers on a rollercoaster and made things pay off in the end more often than not.

(Is mentioning Claremont like the Godwin’s Law of X-Men?)
    It's pretty incredible how the solution to every X-problem lies somewhere in the text of Claremont-sama.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Brawn. He's not the Hulk any more.
    Well he's doing another project with him, along with some new Asian Heroes. He was talking about this project last year.
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...inkId=63646546

And this would be better than him on an X-book again like the rumors suggested.

The King Fears NO ONE! Triniking1234's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    It is never better to bring Guggenheim in... The worst decision ever. lol
    What was up with that though? Did he do anything else besides Young X-Men that was good that made Marvel decide to put him on a double shipping X-book?
    "Cable was right!"

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    It's pretty incredible how the solution to every X-problem lies somewhere in the text of Claremont-sama.
    Personally I think the issue happens to be everyone trying to become the next Claremont with these books.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestro 216 View Post
    Personally I think the issue happens to be everyone trying to become the next Claremont with these books.
    Generally the issue with all the Claremont wannabe stuff is creators misunderstanding the fundamental parts of what made that run successful, which were the constant flow of new ideas and concepts plus sweeping changes which fed all of the character stuff. Books which just regurgitate his stuff, or any old stuff, are ironically missing the point so bad that they end up being the opposite of the material they're trying to ape.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Triniking1234 View Post
    What was up with that though? Did he do anything else besides Young X-Men that was good that made Marvel decide to put him on a double shipping X-book?
    Ketchum was obsessed with him.

Marc Guggenheim is a writer that I've always really adored. It's weird, he's had turns on Spider-Man, and he did an arc of the all-female X-Men team for me. I just feel like, for whatever reason, he's never really caught on in the way that I think he deserves to. I think the world of him and his writing and what he brings to the table. When X-Men Gold came up, I just saw this as an opportunity for him to have that platform.
    https://comicbook.com/2016/12/04/exc...ns-resurrxion/

Extraordinary Member

Good editors make plans, arrange pieces, and let trains leave the station. The more an editor has to interfere and jab their fingers into projects, the worse the editor. Every writer is not dealing with this, no one in the Avengers or Spider office has had their laid down plans completely hijacked like people did in the Paniccia-era X-Office. Yes, things can change, yes, editors can contribute a lot, but that's supposed to happen before the pages start being printed. Not a single thing resembling a vision to spearhead the line existed during these years, and even if you don't like the ideas that could have happened, you can't excuse the fact that ideas you would have liked would never have been able to be competently executed or executed at all under these conditions.
    This is true, the X-Men have just really felt directionless until even just s few weeks ago. And I wonder if this current batch of direction is because of editorial or because the writers just have a fun project.

X-Men & Green Lantern Fan Sam Robards, Comic Fan's Avatar

I like Bunn and can certainly understand him wanting to talk about things that could've been, but constantly complaining about editorial ain't gonna help you if you wanna keep working with Marvel. As much as I enjoy Asgardians of the Galaxy, I dunno how long it'll last, and he shouldn't potentially burn any bridges if he wants to get another books at the House of Ideas.

As for the specific ideas, I like the Sabretooth plans and the O5 as the new Exiles, especially seeing as how Cross-Time Capers was my favorite arc in Blue. Of course, having them as the new Exiles would mean a rewrite of CTC to make the O5 alternates and not the originals.

Jimmy never landed with me, but I appreciate the idea of at least trying to do something interesting with him, in regards to the poison symbiote. It probably wouldn't have worked, but the character's still out there if anyone wants to give it a shot. Personally, I'd have let Daken kill him.

I really liked Bunn's run, though it was inconsistent. Part of that is due to editorial interference, but part of it was that he didn't really hit his stride in either Uncanny or Blue until several arcs in.
    What can I say but, "I love comics."

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Bunn isn't whining or complaining. His comments here are answers to questions that fans asked on his tumblr about what he had planned.

Quote Originally Posted by Weather View Post
    It is never better to bring Guggenheim in... The worst decision ever. lol
    Seems like the ditor never watched Arrow. or worse was a Arrow fan

Good editors are also there to make sure nothing wildly stupid happens like someone trying to drive a train with their teeth.
    But good editors are an endangered, almost mythical species these days.