Incredible Member

Default Vanya (The Umbrella Academy Netflix) vs Scarlet Witch (MCU)

So how would this fight go down. This is most recent version of SW and the end of season 1 TUA Vanya.

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quick draw. Both have the durability of a human and can splat the other with one attack. I'd probably favor Wanda, because I think Vanya might need a minute to build her powers up. Once they are running, she can respond pretty much instantly, but I think she might need a little time to build up a resonance.

It occurs to me that the White Violin was really a transformation, which means she might start the fight powered up for the same reason Bobby Drake starts off as ice or Bruce Banner starts off as the Hulk under our rules. So if Vanya starts off in White Violin mode, with her powers already kicked on, we are looking at quick draw territory, probably a coin flip. I think Wanda needs to make more hand gestures than Vanya to attack, but she's also a significantly better trained combatant so that probably evens out.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Like Cap says, this is really a quickdraw. If Vanya is ready, I give her the edge there - she really didn't seem to need much time to do extremely dramatic stuff.

And her high end is MUCH higher than Wanda's, so if this turns into some kind of beam battle or test of strength, well, spoilers:
    casual accidental moonbuster
    end of spoilers is wayyyyyyyy beyond Wanda.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Yeah, her top end power output is insane, though I'm pretty sure she needs to charge up a lot. (IE, complete a full piece) to unleash that kind of power. Her stuff on the fly is still preeeetty good, and I suspect better than Wanda, but I wasn't 100% sure on that. Wanda has flung a lot of heavy stuff around.

Rumbles Limbo Champion big_adventure's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Yeah, her top end power output is insane, though I'm pretty sure she needs to charge up a lot. (IE, complete a full piece) to unleash that kind of power. Her stuff on the fly is still preeeetty good, and I suspect better than Wanda, but I wasn't 100% sure on that. Wanda has flung a lot of heavy stuff around.
    Definitely tough to say for the moment: they really want to build the drama up around Vanya's power scenes, so she's not generally just flashing it out without buildup. The Mercedes in the alley was nice.
    "But... But I want to be a big karate cyborg... ;_;" - Nik Hasta
    "Get off my lawn! ...on this forum, that just makes people think of Cyclops." - Sharpandpointies
    "...makes me think the Night King just says "Screw the rules, I have magic money" when it comes to physics." -Captain Morgan

Quote Originally Posted by big_adventure View Post
    Definitely tough to say for the moment: they really want to build the drama up around Vanya's power scenes, so she's not generally just flashing it out without buildup. The Mercedes in the alley was nice.
    Well, in the comic, her top end destruction was supposed to come from completing a very specific piece, the Apocalypse Suite, and I think even if her powers were somewhat different they were supposed to work on a similar principle. The other Umbrella Academy members claimed her completing the piece would unleash her gull power in the show, which felt like a nod to the comic but something the characters had no way of actually knowing in universe.

But with her powers being based around building up resonance between her emotions and ambient sound, I'd be conservative about what she can pull out on the quick draw until we see otherwise in season 2.

Well, in the comic, her top end destruction was supposed to come from completing a very specific piece, the Apocalypse Suite, and I think even if her powers were somewhat different they were supposed to work on a similar principle. The other Umbrella Academy members claimed her completing the piece would unleash her gull power in the show, which felt like a nod to the comic but something the characters had no way of actually knowing in universe.

But with her powers being based around building up resonance between her emotions and ambient sound, I'd be conservative about what she can pull out on the quick draw until we see otherwise in season 2.
    Has Season 2 already been announced? I hope so!

I agree with the general consensus about this coming down to a quickdraw. If I had to choose a victor, I'm leaning towards the White Violin; Vanya demonstrated a wider area of effect with her powers. There's also the slight chance that Vanya might be able to convert Wanda's power into her own.

Quote Originally Posted by Tomzilla View Post
    Has Season 2 already been announced? I hope so!

I agree with the general consensus about this coming down to a quickdraw. If I had to choose a victor, I'm leaning towards the White Violin; Vanya demonstrated a wider area of effect with her powers. There's also the slight chance that Vanya might be able to convert Wanda's power into her own.
    Oh, no idea on season 2, I just assumed so since Netflix needs to fill its Marvel void.

I figure on the draw Wanda has better output ? Unless I'm mistaken, in Infinity War she lifted those massive drill things and threw them rather casually.
    Yeah, but if you... man, we're getting into weird analogy territory, like if you disintegrated Superman's arms he wouldn't be able to go "fool! Little did you know that my arms and I are one and can be remade from me!" and will his arms back into being from pure nothingness. - Pendaran

Arx Inosaan

Quick draw. Both have the durability of a human and can splat the other with one attack. I'd probably favor Wanda, because I think Vanya might need a minute to build her powers up. Once they are running, she can respond pretty much instantly, but I think she might need a little time to build up a resonance.

Uhmm durability of a human? The black order fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b7fBshO630

At 9 sec mark she is sent flying through a glass window, At the 1:50 mark she and vision fall from the flying at height where she should have taken some damage. She might be putting shields up in time though either way you can be comfortable with her taking an attack or two.

What wins her the fight imo is the range on her ability to mess with people minds and at min 1:50 shows that she can screw with people from a decent range.Wanda definitely has the combat and the fine tune control advantage where Vanya has the higher end stuff.If it is a stand off of powers then Vanya over powers her at some point probably.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    Uhmm durability of a human? The black order fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b7fBshO630

At 9 sec mark she is sent flying through a glass window, At the 1:50 mark she and vision fall from the flying at height where she should have taken some damage. She might be putting shields up in time though either way you can be comfortable with her taking an attack or two.

What wins her the fight imo is the range on her ability to mess with people minds and at min 1:50 shows that she can screw with people from a decent range.Wanda definitely has the combat and the fine tune control advantage where Vanya has the higher end stuff.If it is a stand off of powers then Vanya over powers her at some point probably.
    My assumption in those scenes is that she is shielding herself. Her basic durability should by all accounts be human. That said, the fact that she can do stuff like that on the fly to keep herself from being splattered is a point in her favor, and the sort of thing I was alluding to when I said she was a significantly better trained combatant.