Mighty Member

Default What does Diana do for the military?

It has been a while since I read Wonder Woman's comics besides skimming a few issues of GWW run. I was curious what it was she was doing these days since she can't go back to themyscira? Is she working for the military or just living with Steve?

Diana seems to have her own places. It seems her and Steve are living together at her place

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    Diana seems to have her own places. It seems her and Steve are living together at her place
    How did she get the place? I remember she had something going on with the US military at the start of Robinson's run. Or did she end up living in Jason's old home?

Jason was living with her. I believe she did get it from the military, This is why often I do think the military should have given her a alias. Not a secret id but something she can use to buy her own items. Like just in case the military turns on her they won't just know where she lives. I also wonder wouldn't it make sense Diana use some sort of magical artifact to make a shield so no one will get inside? By that I mean like her villains.

Diana should keep the military out of wars. However, I doubt the US military leadership today would appreciate that effect.

Frankly, I find the obsession with engaging Diana, Etta, and Steve in the military or espionage complexes perplexing and counter to what Wonder Woman is about.

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Diana should keep the military out of wars. However, I doubt the US military leadership today would appreciate that effect.

Frankly, I find the obsession with engaging Diana, Etta, and Steve in the military or espionage complexes perplexing and counter to what Wonder Woman is about.
    Diana absolutely shouldn’t but Steve being a part of either the US Army or ARGUS has storytelling potential.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Diana absolutely shouldn’t but Steve being a part of either the US Army or ARGUS has storytelling potential.
    Everything has storytelling potential. I posit that the reason Steve is still in the military is because of inertia and, lately, Rucka's poor judgment in making Steve into a career elite soldier. Frankly, I think Rucka would have made Steve's character a service by mustering him out of the military at the end of Year One in Rebirth.

Mighty Member

Ok so does she work for the military in the comics or did they just give her a house?

Diana occasionally works alongside black ops military groups, usually a team led by Steve, take on mystical threats.

Everything has storytelling potential. I posit that the reason Steve is still in the military is because of inertia and, lately, Rucka's poor judgment in making Steve into a career elite soldier. Frankly, I think Rucka would have made Steve's character a service by mustering him out of the military at the end of Year One in Rebirth.
    Huh? How so Steve has always been an Officer in branch or another in every iteration of the character. His service an patriotism are defining parts of his character. Also Steve being modern warrior next Diana being an ancient warrior makes them pretty good foils for one and other

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    Diana occasionally works alongside black ops military groups, usually a team led by Steve, take on mystical threats.

Huh? How so Steve has always been an Officer in branch or another in every iteration of the character. His service an patriotism are defining parts of his character. Also Steve being modern warrior next Diana being an ancient warrior makes them pretty good foils for one and other
    Oh that makes sense. I actually like that alot though I still wish she was an intelligence officer.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    Ok so does she work for the military in the comics or did they just give her a house?
    From what I gather, it was Steve who provided the house, together with his friends, per #25. I haven't been able to find any reference to the US military giving Diana her house in Rebirth. (I'd happily be disproven with scans or at least issue numbers.)

Quote Originally Posted by dreyga2000 View Post
    So Steve being an officer is tradition, and that's why he has to remain in the army? (No matter that Rucka turned him into an NCO and SEAL in Rebirth.) But I don't see how that is an important part of his character; all it does is serve tradition (i.e. inertia) and the obsession with the man as a warrior/soldier.

Because if Diana's mission is to stop wars, especially in the positive sense—to me there is a difference between crafting a peace and crafting an armistice—why would Steve need to be stuck in the military? I think he would be a much more compelling and interesting figure if he decided he would do more good if he at some point quit being an officer. Because as long as he is in the military, he should be the one challenged by Diana's beliefs and values. Outside the military, it gives the possibility of turning that around, which I believe is the key to long-standing and successful superhero love interests: that they challenge the hero's character in some fundamental way.

Another factor that would help their dynamic is that right now, Diana doesn't really ask Steve for help; she asks the US military for help. But by removing Steve from the military, he becomes free to assist her in lots more interesting ways.

That’s kind of a bad idea. All of their love interest have always been a part of the same careers. So it’s not Steve himself but dc and who writers him. The US and how we do things in our military can the conflict. That’s like saying Diana should be giving up everything she has ever learned. Steve is right side of being loyal to ones country. Diana is also learn to her country. It’s not justtradition it’s also to fit with his love interest. Majority of all comics he both military and diplomat. He. Serves has the best of his country. Lois lane is a journalist, Selina is a counterbalance to Bruce. She both a theif and a hero.
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-18-2019 at 08:15 AM.