Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Why? Professor X had basically the same power for decades and didn’t go evil.

Mind you, I don’t think giving the lasso mind control powers is a good idea. I agree with SiegeP, it’s an automatic KO of anyone you get it around.
    Have you read what they've been doing with the guy in the past decades? Frequent mind wipes. Onslaught. Enslaving of a sentient A.I. Matthew Mallory. If the guy isn't evil, he's pretty damn close. As Kilgrave himself pointed out, anyone with a power like that doesn't have a chance in hell at staying moral.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Have you read what they've been doing with the guy in the past decades? Frequent mind wipes. Onslaught. Enslaving of a sentient A.I. Matthew Mallory. If the guy isn't evil, he's pretty damn close. As Kilgrave himself pointed out, anyone with a power like that doesn't have a chance in hell at staying moral.
    Just Vulcan.

Even when it was with good intent, it was borderline evil.

Extraordinary Member

Ah, well then I'm glad I stopped reading X-Men before they rubbished his character. And isn't he dead?

And Kilgrave would say anything to justify his actions. I'd just as soon take ethical advice from the Red Skull. But you could say the same thing about Superman's power level.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    Ah, well then I'm glad I stopped reading X-Men before they rubbished his character. And isn't he dead?

And Kilgrave would say anything to justify his actions. I'd just as soon take ethical advice from the Red Skull. But you could say the same thing about Superman's power level.
    There's an argument to be made that certain powers lend themselves to being used for particularly heinous villainous behavior moreso than others. There's a reason more people bought Purple Man as a rapist compared to Dr Light.

I mean depending on the person the lasso has broken someone’s mind before. Maybe the lasso should have the power but Diana doesn’t use it. Or magbe Diana doesn’t know about that power.

Or Diana is well aware of that the lasso can break someone's mind, and that's part of the reason she is so careful about using it on the relatively fragile humans.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Yea. It has the power to fix and destroy. So I guess the mind control aspect of there if someone’s mind is broken.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No it shouldn't. That power has too many negative connotations and would more likely make Diana female Kilgrave.
    If lousy DC writing is going to corrupt Diana, they are going to find a way to do it even if the mind controlling lasso is unavailable. Crappy writing for the X-Men comics and Killgrave are not good excuses to limit the lasso's powers due to something that might happen. The writing could still treat the power as potentially dangerous, but it is not within Diana's character to abuse said power like Kilgrave.

If she starts doing it, we have bigger problems. Despite any negative connotations a power may have more than others, I think the casual observer would see very easily that Wonder Woman is not like Kilgrave and it would be a non-issue.

Extraordinary Member

Saying Wonder Woman would be corrupted by the lasso's mind control power is like saying Superman would always use his x-ray vision to watch women in the shower.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

I'm curious how powerful should the original lasso be if brought back? I mean like the new one should it be able to corrupted minds? Since the new one has new powers, should we combine them? One other power I would add is the lasso can shape shift like in Super friends and that Diana can multiple control it. I hope this doesn't sound weird. But I often thought in that one Diana and the lasso had some soft of trusting bond. That the lasso was alive. What if that was something to be discovered. That due to how the lasso was created in a way it's also has it's own will and personality? It also has to be neutral but can prefer certain people other others.

BANNED

Aaron has ticked that box when he made mjolinir sentient due to being possessed by the mother storm.

Fantastic Member

The lasso should be a magical artifact that no powerful beings (even above the most powerful superheroes and the gods/imps that follow them) should be able to break them period. It's enchantment should be that the more you try to break it physically or magically or try to fight it's truth bearing powers, the stronger it becomes. In order to circumvent its truth and unbreakable powers, the being bound by the lasso must be able to deconstruct the complex magical spell (not just override it) and they must be at least significantly more powerful than any of the Olympian gods individually, or even better combined.

However, as to being able to make someone not move or be controlled mentally by the lasso other than truth powers...that would be a stretch and a plot nightmare (the truth powers of the lasso is more than enough). As for restraint, that should be dependent on WW's skill and how the lasso has bound them.

Having said that, I like the idea of having...

The lasso's telepathic link to Diana restablished; she should be able to recall it mentally as long as she can see it;
    it should be able to transform into any weapon and remain unbreakable; hence no need for a sword or a shield

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Or Diana is well aware of that the lasso can break someone's mind, and that's part of the reason she is so careful about using it on the relatively fragile humans.
    This. Right. Here.

Something I never enjoyed is the few times that the lasso has been broken. I mean its properties at one time were that it's infinitely long and elastic (IIRC), so breaking it shouldn't be a thing.

Simone used the the lasso with aplomb and added a new dimension to it, literally, where Diana's consciousness interacted with the person feeling its effect's consciousness, which is an interesting storytelling and art device. I'm astounded more writers haven't used it to their advantage too.

Yes,. I also do not enjoy having the Magic Lasso broken because there really is no point to it. The Lasso' s unbreajability is like it's elasticity and golden color--it is intrinsic property that is always there.

Writers need to be more creative and come up with some other plot, other than breaking the lasso.