Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Is the Lasso usless now?

The unbroken lasso in DC is now to me a laughing stock. A few villains have bee able to easily get out of it. Why is dc trying this terrible? I mean there have been great reasons why some have but rebirth there have been no reason

Still only crumbs...... BiteTheBullet's Avatar

You mean Wonder Woman gets disrespected by DC?

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    Yeah, would not be the first time!

Of course the Lasso isn't useless - it's just sad that some writers haven't got the memo. I think a little post it note saying "Remember: Lasso indestructible!" stuck to every paycheck would really get the message across.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

At least as far as the Rucka and now the Wilson runs (I've blocked Robinson from my memory, because who cares), I don't think we've seen anyone get out of the lasso except some Gods...which if anyone can do it, it should be a God. Even then, she bound Urzkartaga, Deimos and Phobos. Even in the most recent issue, Nemesis was knocked out of her scorpion battle mode once the lasso was put on her and Diana got some answers out of her before she broke free.

I'd say the lasso has been made useless once it lost its pre-Crisis power set. It makes people tell the truth, but what the hell else is it supposed to do when they're not lying? She can tie them up, but I don't see any reason why it should weaken them when the "forced to obey the wielder" power has been gone for so long.

But no God should be able to get out of it. Diana has used her lasso on Gods before and none of them got lose in pervious eras. Why lower who can and can’t be under the influence of theasso? It makes it even more unless. If it were to come back which it did since Artemis has it. However, I would put it that Diana does have the regular lasso but lessen it powers. She doesn’t want that control.

It just feels like only the shield and sword matter low. When the sword and shield comes on it’s suppose to for a big reason not jus for any situation she is in.

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    But no God should be able to get out of it. Diana has used her lasso on Gods before and none of them got lose in pervious eras. Why lower who can and can’t be under the influence of theasso? It makes it even more unless. If it were to come back which it did since Artemis has it. However, I would put it that Diana does have the regular lasso but lessen it powers. She doesn’t want that control.

It just feels like only the shield and sword matter low. When the sword and shield comes on it’s suppose to for a big reason not jus for any situation she is in.
    Cheetah escaped from the lasso in their first encounter in the Perez run. When she tried to throw it on Circe in the Jimenez run, Circe just grabbed it out of the air and it didn't have any effect on her. So there is precedent for even non-Olympians for getting out of the lasso or ignoring it before we even get to Rebirth.

Just because a writer uses it incorrectly, that doesn't make it useless. That's on them and their editor.

I liked the Perez invention that only a god can untie the lasso - meaning not a god ensnared in it, but another god trying to help out the ensnared god. I've kept that as one of the properties of the lasso in my Wonder Woman Bible Thingee.

I wish she'd misplace her sword and shield or have Zara turn them to molten metal.

So what should the rules of the lasso? I feel it weird for a god just to get out of the lasso yet Diana can't? Grail got out of the lasso.

Extraordinary Member

Any heroes powers are as effective or ineffective as the writer needs for the plot.

Again, look at Flash.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by BiteTheBullet View Post
    That would never happen! How very rude to even suggest such a thing!

Should the lasso return to it's original powers?

Yes, but it's effectiveness would still vary depending on the needs of the story though, which is to be expected. It's even more of a game breaker in its original incarnation than it is now.

No it shouldn't. That power has too many negative connotations and would more likely make Diana female Kilgrave.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    No it shouldn't. That power has too many negative connotations and would more likely make Diana female Kilgrave.
    Why? Professor X had basically the same power for decades and didn’t go evil.

Mind you, I don’t think giving the lasso mind control powers is a good idea. I agree with SiegeP, it’s an automatic KO of anyone you get it around.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor