Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I understand, but it does kind of come off as “Gwen works best as a corpse.” A sentiment I very much disagree with as Peter was already Spider-Man for several years (IRL), and it didn’t change him in magnitude of the way Uncle Ben’s death did. It wasn’t about the character’s growth. It’s that Conway liked MJ better and wanted to get rid of Gwen, so he went with that when May was slated to die (something I also would’ve disagreed with). Killing characters that weren’t created to be killed is dumb IMO. It’s cheap and an easy way to garner shock and impact.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KurtW95 View Post
    I understand, but it does kind of come off as “Gwen works best as a corpse.”
    I actually do agree with that too. I am all for Gwen Stacy coming back from the dead. The thing is I want her to come back as a rounded flawed character with edges. I want her to come back as a more complex and darker character. The way to do that is to go back to the stories before her death and pick up on stuff that is interesting and worth doing. I want Gwen to come back and own up and accept her responsibility for backing Sam Bullitt and face consequences for doing so. I want Peter and Gwen to have a fight about her treatment about Aunt May, since in their relationship during the Lee-Romita era they are never shown having fights or tiffs, which is one of the many reasons why that relationship was unbelievable. And Peter was a terrible boyfriend to her, so there are issues she has with Peter that she needs to voice.

The only reason to bring a character back from the dead is that there are stuff in her story that's unresolved, and which can lead to new and more interesting material. Bucky Barnes and Red Hood coming back from the dead all brought that material. Gwen coming back should do that.

If people want Gwen to come back because she's Peter's "true wuv" and they want her to be the same bland love interest she was when she died, then yes, Gwen is better dead than alive because the people who say this are largely the readers who know her from 121-122 and maybe Spider-Man: Blue.

It’s that Conway liked MJ better and wanted to get rid of Gwen, so he went with that when May was slated to die (something I also would’ve disagreed with).
    That's not really true. It was John Romita Sr. who wanted to kill a character. He did so because the stories were getting stale and spinning wheels and they needed to shake things up. Romita Sr. read Terry and the Pirates when he was young and that comic strip generated interested and stakes by casually killing characters too. When Conway came on board, Romita Sr. shared his ideas with him, Conway suggested Gwen was the best fit. She was significant and impactful but she was also disposable.

Conway said that it was never his plan from the outset of his run to kill Gwen. He said in 2016 that if there was no plan to kill a character and if Gwen wasn't chosen and agreed by Romita Sr and others, he would have broken Peter and Gwen up, and have Peter and MJ date anyway. And he said later writers could reuse Gwen as an old girlfriend or do the love triangle thing were that to happen.

Killing characters that weren’t created to be killed is dumb IMO. It’s cheap and an easy way to garner shock and impact.
    I agree that you shouldn't kill off characters gratuitously and you shouldn't do that often in Spider-Man definitely. At the same time, it's very debatable how to define "characters that weren't created to be killed". Stan Lee said that it wasn't his intention to kill Captain George Stacy. But he did it because it led to a great story and it fit the characters and so on.

BANNED

Here's a treat for you Kurt, a translation of the mexican Spider-Man comic featuring the Peter/Gwen wedding

Last edited by Miles To Go; 02-19-2019 at 02:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    Here's a treat for you Kurt, a translation of the mexican Spider-Man comic featuring the Peter/Gwen wedding

https://www.cbr.com/spider-man-mexic...nstead-killed/

Nice. I hope more of those comics become available.
    Good Marvel characters- Bring Them Back!!!

For those interested. Chapter Fifteen of my What If Gwen Stacy Never Died? story is posted. Spider-Man and Ghost Spider (Gwen) learn the identity of Black Cat while Dr. Octopus plots to make a semi-reluctant Harry into his latest "masterpiece" -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1276833...wined-Destines

If so inclined, enjoy.
    "I'm sorry, but your story isn't adding up. I think your religion is a lie to keep my mouth shut."

from Spider-Man: Death & Destiny by Lee Weeks

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post
    It's nice to see somebody draw Gwen in something that's not the outfit she died in, but still delightfully retro .

For those interested. Chapter Sixteen of my What If Gwen Stacy Never Died? story is posted. Punisher gets punished and a sinister new player enters the fray -

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/1276833...wined-Destines

If so inclined, enjoy.
    "I'm sorry, but your story isn't adding up. I think your religion is a lie to keep my mouth shut."