Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Seriously, what could a book about Jimmy Olsen be about? what kind of adventures can he have?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 02-18-2019 at 12:55 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    OK, sounds good, but what would the books be about exactly? Will it feature Superman/Clark Kent? Is it in continuity with the current books?

Seriously, what could a book about Jimmy Olsen be about? what kind of adventures can he have?

I accept my ignorance on this.
    Literally all the adventures.

A lot of newer fans might not know, but these are two characters who have had long and successful solo series before. Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen had an exactly 20 year run from 1954 to 1974 totaling 163 issues. Superman's Girlfriend Lois Lane was slightly shorter running from 1958 to 1974. At the height of its popularity, Lois Lane was actually the third best selling comic book in the United States.

I don't think these runs could really be used as templates for the modern series'. Jimmy Olsen was super zany Silver Age fare where Jimmy ended up getting every power under the sun at some point. And 90% of the Super Dickery covers come from Lois Lane. But they are great characters with long histories who definitely could have solo titles in a modern sense. I do hope some of the Silver Age craziness if featured in Jimmy Olsen if I'm being honest.

Turtle Boy or we riot!

I don't want it to be the focus of Jimmy's book, not by a long shot - but just one issue should have him gaining some sort of superpower, and losing it by issue's end. Kind of a Silver Age call back.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

While I wouldn't be 100% on board a Rucka written Superman book, I am totally up for a Lois book written by him.

I don't expect Jimmy's book to reach silver age levels of insanity, but I hope it can come quite close

I seriously hope Fration writes the Jimmy book like it's his Hawkeye book meets Venture Brothers.

I wonder how it specifically spins out of Leviathan Rising, especially if they technically "win" going off what the solicit says? Maybe he's in super secret witness protection?

And I'm now starting to think that Ruka will handle everything dealing with Lois' book and her motivations for her current choices.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I wonder how it specifically spins out of Leviathan Rising, especially if they technically "win" going off what the solicit says? Maybe he's in super secret witness protection?

And I'm now starting to think that Ruka will handle everything dealing with Lois' book and her motivations for her current choices.
    From the sound of it, Leviathan is definitely going to win in the short term. But the way the solicit reads, spinning out of instead of tying into, these could go off in their own directions immediately which would be great.

And leaving that to Rucka would be ideal for me, since I feel he has a much better handle on Lois and could explain her motivations and choices better than Bendis could. I'm sure they are working closely together on all this.

Look I'm on record not being convinced either of these books will last that long. But to those questioning even trying it...why not? It worked in the old days. Yes I understand a lot about those times are dated. But a lot isn't. You won't have Lois pining over Superman putting herself in danger for him, no. But that's not all her book was. It turned toward more real issues in the late 60s/70s. You could do stuff like that today. Jimmy, his pre-Crisis self was all about getting into the weirdest of adventures. Hence his history with all the funny transformations. Honestly? You could do exactly crazy stuff like that and get away with it. Why not? Normal guy getting into crazy adventures is hardly dated. They have potential. Again I'm not sold it will work in today's market just looking at the trends. But its worth a shot to me. With Lois Lane maybe you take a bit of a Gotham Central vibe. That title worked and you certainly don't have to go as far back as pre-Crisis. And again with Jimmy...just maybe they can get people into the idea of crazy fun again.

Either way you try it and you find out one way or another. Its been a pretty long time coming.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-18-2019 at 03:26 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Bendis has said that he and Greg Rucka have talked about how they wish Lois Lane was a real reporter given everything that's going on in the world, so I think you're spot on that this could be a vehicle for that type of storytelling again and hitting on real issues. A Gotham Central type vibe would be ideal as well for Lois. In fact, I'd be surprised if DC doesn't push that angle. This could also be a vehicle for somewhat "prestige" collections as well in the TPB market. DC seems to be slowly pulling back from that and while this past weekends rumors likely aren't true, they've definitely put a focus on "publishing". I'm hopeful these get a genuine push and aren't expected to be 40K plus books.

But for Jimmy, I'll be disappointed and frankly surprised if it doesn't capture some of the craziness. Fraction & Aja's Hawkguy run is one of my favorite books, Jimmy would allow for that type of storytelling dialed up even further.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

You can put me down for the first issue of Jimmy Olsen at the very least. I love solo Jimmy stories, and Matt Fraction is a serious get for DC. Damn, I was surprised enough that Wonder comics has me reading anything from DC at all but it looks like they're really trying to win me back.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

I imagine Lieber is gonna stick around until Nick Spencer gives him a call and says, “it’s time.” Then, we get either more of The Fix or a Superior Foes reunion in Amazing Spider-Man.

Regardless, I am very excited about these books. I don’t think Perkins is the best fit for a Lois book, but Bendis probably wanted a mini Marvel reunion.

Mighty Member

Little surprised Lieber isn't on Lois Lane given the fact that he and Rucka have worked quite a bit together in the past.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    And leaving that to Rucka would be ideal for me, since I feel he has a much better handle on Lois and could explain her motivations and choices better than Bendis could. I'm sure they are working closely together on all this.
    If that's the case then I don't think your theory on the subject of her book is gonna pan out. Looking at the solicit for issue 11, it looks like Clark himself finally decides to step up, and everyone's gonna be surprised by it including Lois.

I'm guessing whatever Lois learned will tie into whatever they have going on with the Question as a parallel to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    I seriously hope Fration writes the Jimmy book like it's his Hawkeye book meets Venture Brothers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    But for Jimmy, I'll be disappointed and frankly surprised if it doesn't capture some of the craziness. Fraction & Aja's Hawkguy run is one of my favorite books, Jimmy would allow for that type of storytelling dialed up even further.
    Going off his Hawkeye run and use of Kate Bishop, I'm at least confident Fraction will write a better Jimmy then he wrote Clint Barton.