Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Superman #13. I'm going to go ahead and assume Bendis isn't turning her into a villain because that's incredibly stupid. Catwoman has one too and she's been on the side of the angels for, what, two decades now?
    Nah it’s to tie in with what Lex is doing in Snyder’s JL. Lex wants to convince humanity as a whole that the way forward is to embrace our base natures and adopt a “**** you got mine” mentality. I’m guessing he’s making his pitch for Doom to Lois.

Mike Perkins was just interviewed on a podcast, Portrait of an Editor, and talks a bit more about the Lois Lane book. Not as much plot stuff, but a lot about the development and general theme and feel of the book.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcas...=1000433993689

Interestingly, he said it was originally going to be in a different format, presumably Black Label, and was pitched as "The Planet" and was really in the vein of Gotham Central. Perkins had breakfast with Didio before NYCC and they talked about characters he'd want to work with and Lois Lane was one of his top picks. Separately, Rucka approached him at NYCC and also suggested the collaborate on Lois Lane.

He does say that there will be some action in the book and there will be appearances by DCU characters, and says its still comparable to Gotham Central. Lois knows everyone in the DCU and that's basically her superpower. She can go to all different levels of the DCU. If she needs Diana's help, she can call Wonder Woman. She can have a story with Doctor Fate and then be in Crime Alley, etc. It will address how much she does and doesn't rely on Superman, and they want to establish that she doesn't need him to be the best reporter in the DCU. There's a scene in the first issue between her and Clark where they kind of discuss how they deal with each other, and even though they are completely in love with each other there are things they do and don't tell each other - so this sounds like Rucka is going to be having the follow up conversation to Action Comics 1004 possibly.

Perkins says that there's a lot of respect for Lois within DC, Didio felt that this was now the time for her to have a book and wanted it within the DCU, and Perkins considers her a great role model and almost writes herself. He touches on the timely nature of the book dealing with reporters and that while there are political aspects of her character states that it will not be a political book.

Perkins is doing the covers and they are leaning on doing "design covers." Says he got one minor note on the cover from editorial to the first issue and they told him it'd be "iconic" and everyone was impressed with it.
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-11-2019 at 08:40 PM.

I remember Rucka mentioning a planned Lois Lane BL Book. I hope they give this the same treatment they gave Gotham Central If it’s good. They kept Gotham Central going for as long as Brubaker and Rucka wanted, even though it didn’t sell very well simply due to the critical acclaim and praise it enjoyed. If this Lois book receives similar accolades I hope said praise will encourage editorial to keep it going even though I suspect it won’t sell that great.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    He does say that there will be some action in the book and there will be appearances by DCU characters, and says its still comparable to Gotham Central. Lois knows everyone in the DCU and that's basically her superpower. She can go to all different levels of the DCU. If she needs Diana's help, she can call Wonder Woman. She can have a story with Doctor Fate and then be in Crime Alley, etc. It will address how much she does and doesn't rely on Superman, and they want to establish that she doesn't need him to be the best reporter in the DCU. There's a scene in the first issue between her and Clark where they kind of discuss how they deal with each other, and even though they are completely in love with each other there are things they do and don't tell each other - so this sounds like Rucka is going to be having the follow up conversation to Action Comics 1004 possibly.
    Honestly, I have felt that this is how these two were with one another. They love one another but they aren't joined at the hip. We see it with Superman but we hardly ever see it with Lois due to writers not finding better ways to utilise her character. We see glimpses of how great Lois is but it's not as consistent as Superman and considering her place in the mythology, it's a travesty that she's been "underused" this long. They both lead such exceptional lives with a calling in their respective fields that don't need for the other to be involved or even have a say so. When #1004 rolled around, I understood what Bendis was getting at with Lois needing space and time to do her thing but it didn't translate well to the readers and thus incited the reactions we saw. They are clearly carrying on with that same thread but Rucka sounds to be the better writer to flesh her story out with little room for misinterpretations. I like what I am hearing with book; I just hope it will sell as well as one can hope because Lois Lane deserves her place in the sun imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I remember Rucka mentioning a planned Lois Lane BL Book. I hope they give this the same treatment they gave Gotham Central If it’s good. They kept Gotham Central going for as long as Brubaker and Rucka wanted, even though it didn’t sell very well simply due to the critical acclaim and praise it enjoyed. If this Lois book receives similar accolades I hope said praise will encourage editorial to keep it going even though I suspect it won’t sell that great.
    I hope the expectations for sales are realistic as well. I hope I’m wrong but it’s not going to be a 40k a month book with the setup described. There does seem to be a lot of buzz around it already. Bendis has his little Super-fiefdom set up though, so he could have more to do with its longevity than other books. And your right, if it’s a book that generates buzz or discussion outside of comics or shows legs as a trade or bookstore sales it could be kept around as long as they want to keep it. It’s like an Image book really.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Honestly, I have felt that this is how these two were with one another. They love one another but they aren't joined at the hip. We see it with Superman but we hardly ever see it with Lois due to writers not finding better ways to utilise her character. We see glimpses of how great Lois is but it's not as consistent as Superman and considering her place in the mythology, it's a travesty that she's been "underused" this long. They both lead such exceptional lives with a calling in their respective fields that don't need for the other to be involved or even have a say so. When #1004 rolled around, I understood what Bendis was getting at with Lois needing space and time to do her thing but it didn't translate well to the readers and thus incited the reactions we saw. They are clearly carrying on with that same thread but Rucka sounds to be the better writer to flesh her story out with little room for misinterpretations. I like what I am hearing with book; I just hope it will sell as well as one can hope because Lois Lane deserves her place in the sun imo.
    I agree. Everything I’ve heard about this book has been exactly what I’ve wanted out of it. And under Rucka I really think it will be handled well. Because they are kinda dancing through a mine field with some of the topics they’ve talked about.
    Last edited by Yoda; 04-12-2019 at 07:23 AM.

Both books officially coming in July as 12 issue maxie series. Looks at interior art and covers to the first issues:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...412-story.html

Last edited by Yoda; 04-12-2019 at 11:36 AM.

Lois character page and interiors by Mike Perkins for the LA Times article

Same for Jimmy Olsen from Steve Lieberl from the LA Times article.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

They look great, Lois Lane especially. Wish Rucka was the one interviewed but the must have been busy.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    They look great, Lois Lane especially. Wish Rucka was the one interviewed but the must have been busy.
    He has a lot going on. But they got a little quote at least.

Both disappointed and kinda ok with them both being 12 issue maxi-series. I don't mind a season like take on these things. And having the books be self contained that way usually makes for better stories.

These covers look great! Not surprised they’re maxiseries, I just don’t think they could survive for very long as ongoings. If we’re lucky they might end up being like Naomi where they’re releasing the books in seasons because of how unfriendly the market is to new characters. Naomi will get another season later on after they take a break, and maybe these books will too.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    These covers look great! Not surprised they’re maxiseries, I just don’t think they could survive for very long as ongoings. If we’re lucky they might end up being like Naomi where they’re releasing the books in seasons because of how unfriendly the market is to new characters. Naomi will get another season later on after they take a break, and maybe these books will too.
    Here's hoping...

Astonishing Member Dispenser Of Truth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Has anyone seen Superlad? Did he survive this?

Kind of surprised to hear Superman's actually going to be in Jimmy, very interested to see how Fraction handles him. And since I wasn't overly familiar with either artists' work before, very glad to see there's going to be SUCH a sharp visual divide between these two representations of the corners of Superman's world.
    Buh-bye

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Oh yeah, Perkins is incredibly ideal for Rucka (super gritty with fantastic sci fi) and Lieber has probably been the best choice since Superior Foes caught on for this. I probably won't survive digging in later.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Hmm. That's pretty cool, I guess.........

RIP Superlad

2014 to 2019
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-12-2019 at 01:29 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.