Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast
    Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

I have to say that I find Didio amazing. From All Star's 12 issue maxi series to what almost seems like respective equivalents for Lois and Jimmy, it seems like every interesting story starts from spitballing with Dan Didio.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

And if these books are a critical and commercial success, I can almost assure you that it will paint Didio (and Bendis) as obstacles to overcome to get to the goods, rather than the encouraging facilitators and collaborators that helped make these things happen.

People like a story in all facets of their lives, and because of that people like a mustache twirling villain. He, like everyone else, is just a person, and that means he can do stuff that you agree with and disagree with.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-12-2019 at 02:29 PM.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

JIMMY OLSEN #1
    written by MATT FRACTION
    art and cover by STEVE LIEBER
    variant cover by BEN OLIVER
    Jimmy Olsen must die!
    Wait, we’re getting ahead of ourselves. Jimmy Olsen lives! Superman’s best friend and Daily Planet photographer Jimmy Olsen tours the bizarre underbelly of the DC Universe in this new miniseries featuring death, destruction, giant turtles and more! It’s a centuries-spanning whirlwind of weird that starts in Metropolis and ends in Gotham City. And then we kill Jimmy.
    ON SALE 07.17.19
    $3.99 US | 1 of 12 | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+

LOIS LANE #1
    written by GREG RUCKA
    art and cover by MIKE PERKINS
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    On the road and out of Metropolis—and carrying a secret that could disrupt Superman’s life—Lois Lane embarks on a harrowing journey to uncover a threat to her husband and a plot that reaches the highest levels of international power brokers and world leaders. Critically acclaimed and best-selling author Greg Rucka and master storyteller Mike Perkins team up for a tale of conspiracy, intrigue and murder that pushes even Lois to her limits.
    ON SALE 07.03.19
    FC | RATED T

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And if these books are a critical and commercial success, I can almost assure you that it will paint (Didio (and Bendis) as obstacles to overcome to get to the goods, rather than the encouraging facilitators and collaborators that helped make these things happen.

People like a story in all facets of their lives, and because of that people like a mustache twirling villain. He, like everyone else, is just a person, and that means he can do stuff that you agree with and disagree with.
    I guess with any EIC you'll get some controversial or unpopular stuff, and stuff that's really really good that people will probably not give them credit for...

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    JIMMY OLSEN #1
    written by MATT FRACTION
    Jimmy Olsen must die!
    Wait, we’re getting ahead of ourselves. Jimmy Olsen lives! Superman’s best friend and Daily Planet photographer Jimmy Olsen tours the bizarre underbelly of the DC Universe in this new miniseries featuring death, destruction, giant turtles and more! It’s a centuries-spanning whirlwind of weird that starts in Metropolis and ends in Gotham City. And then we kill Jimmy.
    ON SALE 07.17.19
    FC | RATED T+

LOIS LANE #1
    written by GREG RUCKA
    variant cover by JENNY FRISON
    On the road and out of Metropolis—and carrying a secret that could disrupt Superman’s life—Lois Lane embarks on a harrowing journey to uncover a threat to her husband and a plot that reaches the highest levels of international power brokers and world leaders. Critically acclaimed and best-selling author Greg Rucka and master storyteller Mike Perkins team up for a tale of conspiracy, intrigue and murder that pushes even Lois to her limits.
    ON SALE 07.03.19
    FC | RATED T

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess with any EIC you'll get some controversial or unpopular stuff, and stuff that's really really good that people will probably not give them credit for...
    I agree, and I'm not saying it's specific to Didio, but you've gotta admit that the lopsided hate for him is its own meme (we've all partaken in it at one point or another).

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be fair, it's real easy to preside over great ideas. The thing about Didio that brings people's blood to boil is that he continuously doubles down even when things don't seem to work (constantly trying to screw over Dick and his generation, insistence that "dark makes good" and so on) and is very glib about it. Need I remind you of Countdown being "52 done right" or the like? The guy seems like he doesn't care if he fails a million times, he just wants to be able to say he presided over All-Star Superman.

It's half-full vs half-empty, I suppose, but I can't give him credit for the Lois/Jimmy books. I'm very excited, but I have every belief it's because of Bendis far more than Didio.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And if these books are a critical and commercial success, I can almost assure you that it will paint Didio (and Bendis) as obstacles to overcome to get to the goods, rather than the encouraging facilitators and collaborators that helped make these things happen.

Bendis has turned the Superbooks into his own imprint at this point. These books wouldn’t exist, at least not at this level of apparent perfect union of concepts and creators, without him. And he crafted his story to get these two characters to where Fraction and Rucka could run with them. Didio has his quirks, but I’m not gonna bad mouth him for giving these books the chance.

I think they both deserve some credit. Fraction wouldn’t be there if Bendis wasn’t there, that’s a fact. Fraction swore off Big Two work forever at the end of his Marvel career. Bendis no doubt had to persuade him that Bendis has enough pull at DC to keep editorial off Fraction’s back. Rucka might’ve wrote Lois even if Bendis wasn’t there. Johns was able to repair that relationship with him. But Bendis being there seems to have made sure it happened.

Of course Didio is the one who got Bendis in the first place and he did sign off on this. So I’m willing to give him credit for that. Still if these books are a hit it’s the creative teams above everyone else, along with their direct editors who deserve the most credit.

Last Son of Shaolin GreatKungLao's Avatar

Yes

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Yeah I'm definitely getting both covers for both debuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I think they both deserve some credit. Fraction wouldn’t be there if Bendis wasn’t there, that’s a fact. Fraction swore off Big Two work forever at the end of his Marvel career. Bendis no doubt had to persuade him that Bendis has enough pull at DC to keep editorial off Fraction’s back. Rucka might’ve wrote Lois even if Bendis wasn’t there. Johns was able to repair that relationship with him. But Bendis being there seems to have made sure it happened.

Of course Didio is the one who got Bendis in the first place and he did sign off on this. So I’m willing to give him credit for that. Still if these books are a hit it’s the creative teams above everyone else, along with their direct editors who deserve the most credit.
    Yeah the execution is 90% of it, but he generally seems on the pulse of talking to the right people about the freshest material. If the best you really give him is "as expected" then you have to admit that there isn't really someone in his time with the same kind of secondhand credibility, with due respect to Quesada's Marvel.

Going back to creators, my hope is that Rucka is Stern to the Byrne of Bendis, polishing the content Action Comics 1004, for example. Fraction, well, I think this sounds like entirely the right temperature. This is a book made so he can do it instead of sticking him on.
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Going back to creators, my hope is that Rucka is Stern to the Byrne of Bendis, polishing the content Action Comics 1004, for example. Fraction, well, I think this sounds like entirely the right temperature. This is a book made so he can do it instead of sticking him on.
    That is my hope as well, and from the Perkins podcast it sounds like that is going to start right in issue #1. If Rucka can handle the fallout from the photograph and make Lois’ new life perspective work, I’ll be a happy camper.

Ultimate Member Last Son of Krypton's Avatar

SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #3
    written by MATT FRACTION
    Dearly beloved, we have gathered here today in this catalog to remember our friend, Superman’s pal, the late Jimmy Olsen...’s assassination decoy!
    Wait, somebody killed Jimmy’s decoy body? But whodunit? And, like, whydunit? And…wait, when did Jimmy get a decoy of himself? What we do know is it’s not safe for Jimmy in the City of Tomorrow anymore, and with Superman busy and all (you read that SUPERMAN #15 solicit yet?), Jimmy’s best bet is to solve his own murder within the safe borders of Gotham City! (Seriously, “safe”?)
    ON SALE 09.18.19
    $3.99 US | 3 OF 12 | 32 PAGES
    FC | RATED T+

LOIS LANE #3
    written by GREG RUCKA
    variant cover by NICOLA SCOTT
    Jon Kent surprises his mother with a visit to her hideout in Chicago with big news that ties directly into the events of SUPERMAN #15, also on sale this month. While Lois must deal with her now-17-year-old son making life-changing decisions, the two Questions—Renee Montoya and Vic Sage—try to understand their own confusing continuity.
    ON SALE 09.04.19
    FC | RATED T

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Both books officially coming in July as 12 issue maxie series. Looks at interior art and covers to the first issues:

https://www.latimes.com/entertainmen...412-story.html

Can anyone make sense of Jimmy's cover. Are these masks? Mementos of Jimmy's exploits?

It kinda sucks that its not ongoing. But if it leads to geat stories, i am all in.

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    SUPERMAN’S PAL JIMMY OLSEN #3
    written by MATT FRACTION
    Dearly beloved, we have gathered here today in this catalog to remember our friend, Superman’s pal, the late Jimmy Olsen...’s assassination decoy!
    Wait, somebody killed Jimmy’s decoy body? But whodunit? And, like, whydunit? And…wait, when did Jimmy get a decoy of himself? What we do know is it’s not safe for Jimmy in the City of Tomorrow anymore, and with Superman busy and all (you read that SUPERMAN #15 solicit yet?), Jimmy’s best bet is to solve his own murder within the safe borders of Gotham City! (Seriously, “safe”?)
    ON SALE 09.18.19
    FC | RATED T+

What on earth is this!? Why am i getting so excited? Why isn't it July yet? So many questions.
    Last edited by Soubhagya; 06-14-2019 at 10:42 PM.