Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What does "Wonder Woman is a warrior" mean to you?

It's something everyone seems to agree on, but the execution in comics seems to leave something to be desired. So how do you want this applied?

Not just that WW is a great fighter with many forms of combat experience, but also that she is strong, swift, agile and smart.

Also, as a Princess, Diana was trained in the ideology of war as well.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 02-18-2019 at 01:37 PM.

I'm not sure I agree with the premise. A young Diana might dream of being a warrior, but the mature Diana would know in her bones that fighting does not make one a hero. I'd imagine she'd think of herself as an emissary, a teacher, a leader, a student, and a healer before thinking of herself as a warrior.

For, Diana is a good fighter but that isn't all she is and she knows when to fight and when not to.

Skilled fighter - I like to think of her animated movie appearances around the time of Crisis on Two Earths and her solo/origin, were they threw in some wrestling/grapple moves in her combat style. She had some great fight scenes in those.
    Powerful and well rounded - Like Phoenixx9 said, she is strong, swift, agile and smart.
    A leader - She should be able to take command when she needs to.
    Strategic - She can think of a way to win, whether that means fighting or not.

Diana being a warrior isn’t about her fighting but her knowing when to fighting and how to plan and being diplomat. Knowing how to take a enemy without killing with them.

Mighty Member

I think it means she is a skilled fighter and tactician. She knows her way around a battle ground. She also doesn't stop until the mission is done. Also, she knows how to use her surroundings and weapons to get the job done.

Incredible Member

It means that Diana is supremely capable of defending herself and defending others in a wide variety of situations, whether she's using her hands and feet (and a vast variety of martial arts, wrestling, etc), her iconic, non-lethal "weaponry" (i.e. lasso, bracelets and tiara), items from the surrounding environment or, when the threat level justifies it, "lethal" weapons like a sword, spear, etc.

Diana should be the best fighter on the Justice League, even if she was magically depowered. Batman's training under Lady Shiva and others should not surpass Diana's training by the Amazons of Themyscira. Wonder Woman should extend an open hand in peace before she raises a fist in self-defence. Although Diana would always strive to use non-lethal force, she would not have any qualms about killing in opponent in battle if and when necessary to save the lives of others. Superman and Batman may (sometimes) maintain a "no killing" personal code, but Wonder Woman does not.

Diana is also a skilled strategist and tactician with experience leading small teams and an entire army into battle.

I don't think of Diana as a killer (she always finds another way), but I quite like this as the beginnings of an Amazonian Warrior Code.

IMG_0472.jpg

It may not make perfect sense for Diana (as I see her), but it makes sense considering the Amazon's plight and emancipation from Heracles and Theseus millennia ago. Still, I'd like to see the Amazon's develop their warrior and societal codes further as they've adapted and changed them over millennia, from research, practice, and philosophizing over what works to build and maintain a utopia for themselves.

It might be a way to squeeze some more Marston into the book, as I'd think their codes could and should be quite progressive and radical when compared to the oppression, inequality, and inequity we experience in Patriarch's World for a number of reasons the Amazons should have left in the dustbin of time.

Edited to add: I also think/hope that if some creators developed these codes alongside the action and adventure in the titles, we finally get a stronger sense of who the Amazons are and (hopefully) less portrayals of blood-lusty warrior vixen Themyscirans, as happens from time to time. (Save the fearsome bloodlust for the Bana-Mighdallians. The Themyscirans are fierce in their own way.)
    Last edited by WonderScott; 02-19-2019 at 08:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    I don't think of Diana as a killer (she always finds another way), but I quite like this as the beginnings of an Amazonian Warrior Code.

IMG_0472.jpg

It may not make perfect sense for Diana (as I see her), but it makes sense considering the Amazon's plight and emancipation from Heracles and Theseus millennia ago. Still, I'd like to see the Amazon's develop their warrior and societal codes further as they've adapted and changed them over millennia, from research, practice, and philosophizing over what works to build and maintain a utopia for themselves.

It might be a way to squeeze some more Marston into the book, as I'd think their codes could and should be quite progressive and radical when compared to the oppression, inequality, and inequity we experience in Patriarch's World for a number of reasons the Amazons should have left in the dustbin of time.

Edited to add: I also think/hope that if some creators developed these codes alongside the action and adventure in the titles, we finally get a stronger sense of who the Amazons are and (hopefully) less portrayals of blood-lusty warrior vixen Themyscirans, as happens from time to time. (Save the fearsome bloodlust for the Bana-Mighdallians. The Themyscirans are fierce in their own way.)
    Making the Bana the bloodthirsty foils to the Themyscirans carries some unfortunate implications.

https://scans-daily.dreamwidth.org/2752560.html

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    It's something everyone seems to agree on, but the execution in comics seems to leave something to be desired. So how do you want this applied?
    Well I do not think it is the chomping at the bit to murder someone that seems to be the norm from Flashpoint on.

I think it means she possesses a deep understanding of the full meaning of raising one's hand or sword toward another and all that such action portends. As such, she uses violence as a very last resort.

When she does pursue a martial course she is peerless given her heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderScott View Post
    Like Agent Z said, there are plenty of unfortunate implications with the blood-thirsty Bana-Mighdalls. I'd much prefer if the split among the Amazons into the Themyscirans and among the Bana-Mighdall was about choosing between two different good things, rather than choosing to renounce violence or not (especially since the Themyscirans aren't exactly pacifists).

My preferred take would be that their patron goddesses (and maybe one male god or two) gave the Amazons a choice: guard the Doom's Doorway and be shielded from harm, or try to continue with the Amazon mission among mankind as teachers and bringers of civilisation, but also being pursued by a vengeful Zeus.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

To me it means she was specifically trained to fight when necessary.

Bad post-crisis storylines.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut