Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Americans are developing a binge-watching mentality for television and a trade does that for comics. Now for TV shows we have seasons or "series" as them Eurofolks calls them. Throw 12 or 13 hours together and boom! That's a package. Sometimes the shows are individual and stand on their own, other times they're interlocking. Same with comic books.

It's silly to think one or the other is going to win out as the be-all, end-all format. But those that have mentioned the growing importance of the trade are noticing the future.

Boisterously Confused

I don't think there's a single right answer to this, other than perhaps kingaliencracker's observation that...
    Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    It'll never happen. Everything is geared towards the TPB market.
    That said, there are stories that deserve long arcs, and there are stories that fit nicely in a single issue. A mixture would be good.

Extraordinary Member

Not sure if one shots aren't a little bit to short as default length, but but I would like to see more 2-4 issues Story arcs, opposed to the now more common 6 issue arcs.

And they should avoid to long running plot points, stuff like Priests Deathstroke is to hard to follow if you don't read the entire thing in one go.

I like one-shots and when they're best to tell a story, sure. Comics in the 30s-70s were aimed at kids and I think that's the main reason they were mostly one-shots. As comics matured they embraced longer forms of storytelling.

I much prefer the serial storytelling of comics today. That's exactly what gets me to my LCS each Wednesday, to find out what happens next. If comics were all one-shots it would be very easy to skip issues. As it is, I can't wait to get the latest installment of my favorite series.

Do note that there really isn't anything that say one-shots or twofers can't be an integral part of a longer story arc. Wonder Woman #63 out just recently was a one-shot story that moved within the same theme as the stories in Wilson's WW run, and segued into the next mini-arc. Tynion used a one-shot and a twofer in JLD after The Witching Hour, to do some necessary character setup work and give a breather before bringing in the next big arc around the Lords of Order.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I like one-shots and when they're best to tell a story, sure. Comics in the 30s-70s were aimed at kids and I think that's the main reason they were mostly one-shots. As comics matured they embraced longer forms of storytelling.
    While you're right about the main audience pre-'80s, that doesn't mean you can't tell stories of a similar size for adults. IMO, there just more akin to short stories than the more novel-like ones of more recent years, that's all.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    One of the foremost reasons why new readers are said to experience difficulty in getting into monthly comics is attributed to the "made for the trade" nature of comic books. Great swaths of people just don't have the patience to go to a comic store every week to read a narrative that is stretched out to. 6 months or even longer.

Personally in my opinion, it would be much more sustainable model for the the generality of monthly DC publications to consist of one shot narratives in contrast to overly long arcs that don't warrant the amount of issues that are dedicated to them.

While this might seem extreme in today's enviroment, this has been done before. This form of storytelling was the norm in the 30s, 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s, and to a lesser degree, 80s and 90s.

Does this mean there will be no subplots? No. Does this mean that continuity will take a backseat? No. All this direction would signify is a more welcoming experience for potential readers wherein every issue is -- more or less--- a jumping on point.

What do you think? Should comic book single issue be more self contained?
    Only if you are going to sell them someplace other than comic shops. New readers don't go to comic shops. People who already read comics are the ones who go to comic shops, which is why the product available in comic shops caters to long time fans. The single periodical format, especially one only sold in a specialty retailer, is the problem, not the content or its length. It's a dinosaur product with no place in the modern marketplace outside a niche retailer catering to people who are accustomed to the format. If you want new readers, you have to put the product where potential new readers are and in formats they are likely to buy. There is a growth market of new readers for comics-they are buying thins like Smile, Dog Man, etc. which over complete long form stories in an affordable accessible format sold in place where new readers might find them. The direct market is not a growth market and never will be. It was designed to sell comics to people who already wanted them, not to reach new readers. Reaching new readers then requires moving outside the direct market, not altering products within the direct market.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by The Darknight Detective View Post
    While you're right about the main audience pre-'80s, that doesn't mean you can't tell stories of a similar size for adults. IMO, there just more akin to short stories than the more novel-like ones of more recent years, that's all.
    I don't disagree. Just saying why I thought one-shots made more sense for kids. To me, superhero comics are a mythology that never ends and that's why I love them. The story was being told long before I was born and will hopefully be going long after I die and there's no other mythology like that that I'm aware of. Even if they were all one-shots, they'd still be serials. But as I said above I'm all for one-shots as long as they're well told. I don't care how long a story is, only how well it's told. I love All My Heroes Have Been Junkies and For the Man Who Has Everything but I also love the very long story King is telling in Batman lately.

I don't think novels are better than short stories are better than sitcoms are better than pop songs are better than symphonies... To me it's all in the telling.

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    I don't disagree. Just saying why I thought one-shots made more sense for kids. To me, superhero comics are a mythology that never ends and that's why I love them. The story was being told long before I was born and will hopefully be going long after I die and there's no other mythology like that that I'm aware of. Even if they were all one-shots, they'd still be serials. But as I said above I'm all for one-shots as long as they're well told. I don't care how long a story is, only how well it's told. I love All My Heroes Have Been Junkies and For the Man Who Has Everything but I also love the very long story King is telling in Batman lately.

I don't think novels are better than short stories are better than sitcoms are better than pop songs are better than symphonies... To me it's all in the telling.
    Sounds like we agree after all, Bats.

Extraordinary Member

But even from the days with less decompression, I can't really thing of many good stories that is not at least 2 issues long (or one extra long issue).

And today one shots tend often to be "character studies", rather than proper superhero stories. And you can't have to many of those.

But I have a bigger problem with decompression, than with the number of issues. I have no problem with a long story, as long as stuff is happening, but I hate when they just "decompress" the plot to twice the length.
    Last edited by Aahz; 02-20-2019 at 01:48 AM.

OMAC, the New 52 book was one shot stories, villain of the month type of book which was a book I was dreaming about for years since I started reading comics. It was done in the Kirby style with the outlandish fun and adventure and exitement and it had a minority character as the lead for people who are obsessed with that stuff and no one bought it but me It went for 8 issues and I believe it sold 8 issues. Maybe that's a bad example, but I miss the one shot story and I don't think would sell today.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But even from the days with less decompression, I can't really thing of many good stories that is not at least 2 issues long (or one extra long issue).
    Lengthier stories tend to stick in the head longer than short stories, at least for me. I can remember the titles of lousy novels easier than some great short stories, for example. FWIW, my favorite CB story is a short one.

I don't think there's any reason for DC to implement policy or dictate story-length in general. Writers and editors should work together to tell the best story - period. If a writer wants to tell one-shot stories and they're good, then yes - make sure they get to tell those stories. If the writer wants to tell a sprawling 23-issue epic, and they like the idea, DC should help make that story happen, without interference but making sure editorial has a hand in it just to make sure it stays on time and doesn't go off the rails creatively.

It's all about what makes for the better story - that's what would get people's attention and get them interested.

Sounds like we agree after all, Bats.
    Was there any doubt the ears guys would stick together?

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darkseid Is View Post
    OMAC, the New 52 book was one shot stories, villain of the month type of book which was a book I was dreaming about for years since I started reading comics. It was done in the Kirby style with the outlandish fun and adventure and exitement and it had a minority character as the lead for people who are obsessed with that stuff and no one bought it but me It went for 8 issues and I believe it sold 8 issues. Maybe that's a bad example, but I miss the one shot story and I don't think would sell today.
    The reason for the Omac title's commercial failure, is probably more due to...

1. Despite being created by Jack Kirby, Omac is a relatively obscure character, with an extremely niche fanbase.

2. Dan DiDio is one of the most despised figures in the comic book industry.

Than having issues being more or less, self contained.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 02-20-2019 at 10:56 AM.