Default Hawkman #9 (Spoilers)

Preview for the issue.

I neglected to do a recap and review for #8, as I was out of town and just didn't have time. That issue's shenanigans are more or less summarized in the preview above, but suffice it to say Carter met with Catar-Ol (past-life Kryptonian Hawkman), who may hold the secret to defeating the Deathbringers.

As for this past week's issue, if you read the preview above, you got about 90% of the story, most of which is just a recap. The rest of the issue covers Hawkman's confrontation with the Deathbringers and the "surprise" appearance of an "old" (but actually new) foe. It's more action than anything else, really.

Honestly, probably my least favorite issue so far. For those who watch anime, it's reminiscent of a midseason recap episode that throws in a few splashes of new scenes so you feel compelled to watch it anyway. I'm still enjoying the series overall, but I'm starting to get rather impatient for the conclusion to arrive so that a new, far more traditional superhero arc can begin. While I appreciate Venditti's ambitious reintroduction of the character, I think he's risking frightening off potential fans with the lengthy and uninterrupted nature of its unpacking.

That said, though, I do like the new spin on Hawkman's origin. I'm also hoping Carter's "debt" will be wiped clean when this is all finished, which would be great. The curse aspect of the origin is already gone, and with the reincarnation angle following suit, I think Hawkman will be in a good place thematically, allowing him to finally progress and grow as a character; inasmuch as superhero comics allow for, anyway. You essentially get all of the intrigue of his many incarnations without any of the writing pitfalls (destined to fall in love, marginalized risk of death, which version did what and where, etc.) dragging it down.

I just wish the speed at which we arrive at that point were a little faster. And padded issues like this one don't exactly help quash that sentiment.
    Batman: I need your help finding a man named Vulko.
    Hawkman: You want him dead or alive?
    - Justice League #17

The issue was ok. Definitely a lot of recap like you stated. Hopefully we will get more action in the next issue.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

I hate to say it, but the book is starting to drag it's heels. With all that's going on at DC right now, I seriously doubt the book will be around past #18 (if that!), which is a shame, since I think there's still A LOT of story to tell, particularly where Hawkgirl is concerned!

i like the overall series so far, but it felt not much happened in this issue...