Thread: Quality Comics

BANNED

Default Quality Comics

Which Quality comics have you enjoyed?

I have enjoyed reading Police Comics, Military Comics/Modern Comics, Plastic Man, the Spirit, Kid Eternity and Blackhawk up to the point where the Quality got a bit too deep into right-wing politics and anti-communism.

T-Man should be all about investigating financial crimes like counterfeiting, tax evasion, audit fraud and not about espionage and counter-espionage. T-Man is supposed to be a Treasury cop and not an espionage agent.
    Last edited by Zetsubou; 05-03-2014 at 05:04 AM.

Quality had a great line.

I've never heard of T-Man.

Astonishing Member Enigmatic Undead's Avatar

So far only the first three issues of Plastic Man and the first issue of The Spirit which I really enjoyed. For those interested there are tons of Quality Comics from 1939-1956 (and other public domain comics) available to read for free at The Digital Comics Museum. I was thinking about checking out Web of Evil.

http://digitalcomicmuseum.com/index.php?cid=7
    "It is wrong to assume that art needs the spectator in order to be. The film runs on without any eyes. The spectator cannot exist without it. It ensures his existence." -- James Douglas Morrison

Plastic Man was pure genius. I also like Kid Eternity, Blackhawks, The Ray.

Recently, I've been re-reading The Lou Fine Comics Treasury put out by Pure Imagination Publishing way back in '91 (which is when I originally bought it). It has a decent selection of Quality characters represented among the b&w reprints, with one story each for:
    * Dollman
    * The Ray
    * Uncle Sam
    * Stormy Foster (The Great Defender)
    * Hack O'Hara
    and two stories starring Black Condor.

BANNED

Blackhawk Comics were great during the WWII but the quality declined in the 1950's, when they started fighting communism. They were quick to forget that America and Soviet Union were once allies.

Art by Frank Borth from what I think is the first team-up between two superheroines in comic books (Feature Comics #71, September 1943):