Default Varying Mythology And Folktales In Wonder Woman

I know some have complained about the over use of mythology in Wonder Woman but I would posit that the issues aren't the use itself. Rather that a) Writers only limit themselves to Greek myth and b) the manner in which Greek myth is used is rather unimaginative and only relies on the usual players.

I propose that the WW comics could use characters of mythological and folktale origin that aren't just from Greek myth and reimigining some characters in such a way could help. I.e making Zara an Ifrit and revealing that Minister Blizzard is actually Jack Frost. Some villains like Veronica Cale and Dr Psycho don't need to have mythological connections since you still need some human characters and White Magician works fine for what he is.

Also showing Themyscira as a country of various faiths I think is a good idea.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 09-06-2019 at 11:42 AM.

I agree with your observations, but I'm not sure I'd choose to go with your proposed solution. To me, this is part of a general problem that the Amazons are interpreted as Greek, when I think they rather should be shown to have inspired the Greek civilisation, as well as many other ancient civilisations.

Also, religiousity and its practices worked very differently in the ancient polytheistic religions. To take but one example, there was hardly anything moral or ethical in the behaviour of the gods. The philosophical systems of metaphysics, ethics, and legality that were developed in the classical ages had little influence from religion, as I understand it. In many ways and as I understand it, the gods were more regarded as forces of nature or capricious rulers that needed to be kept in a good mood.

Another factor is the danger of kitchensinkitis; I found Simone's use of Kane Milohai in her run to be rather cringe-worthy. I'd myself be more interested in an attempt to reimagine Greek myth from a (partly) feminist lens and with inspiration from various other classical polytheistic religions in the area of the Mediterreanean, the Middle East, and Central Asia.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    I agree with your observations, but I'm not sure I'd choose to go with your proposed solution. To me, this is part of a general problem that the Amazons are interpreted as Greek, when I think they rather should be shown to have inspired the Greek civilisation, as well as many other ancient civilisations.
    I agree on this part. Hence why I suggested showing varied belief systems on Themyscira. Leigh Bardugo’s Wonder Woman YA novel mentions that Amazons are of various beliefs. In her book, an Amazon is a woman who upon speaking the name of a diety she worships is reincarnated on Themyscira.

Another factor is the danger of kitchensinkitis; I found Simone's use of Kane Milohai in her run to be rather cringe-worthy. I'd myself be more interested in an attempt to reimagine Greek myth from a (partly) feminist lens and with inspiration from various other classical polytheistic religions in the area of the Mediterreanean, the Middle East, and Central Asia.
    What exactly was wrong with Simone’s take on Kane Milohai?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I agree on this part. Hence why I suggested showing varied belief systems on Themyscira. Leigh Bardugo’s Wonder Woman YA novel mentions that Amazons are of various beliefs. In her book, an Amazon is a woman who upon speaking the name of a diety she worships is reincarnated on Themyscira.
    See, it's partly the use of the word "belief" here that bugs me. The relation of the Amazons to their take on the Olympian pantheon should not be based on belief but of purpose and some sort of patron–client relation with with some of the gods.

What exactly was wrong with Simone’s take on Kane Milohai?
    I cannot say much about the god itself (knowing very little of Polynesian mythology), but Wonder Woman's approach and relation to the gods felt off to me, and that goes for both Zeus and Kane Milohai. Kane Milohai also felt like he was crafted onto her mythos. (It didn't really help that I felt a clear case of kitchensinkitis from Simone's run as a whole.)
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

I have thought that WW should explore having Amazons of different cultures in addition to the Bana-Mighdahl. Have the Valkyries be another tribe of Amazons, Boudicca is a lost Amazon, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I have thought that WW should explore having Amazons of different cultures in addition to the Bana-Mighdahl. Have the Valkyries be another tribe of Amazons, Boudicca is a lost Amazon, etc.
    Making every mythological or historical warrior woman an Amazon might be going too far.

I would like to see the Valkyries (DC Style) again, including Odin, but most especially Gudra/Gundra.

Gundra/Gudra is one of my favorite WW characters! I am glad to mention her in my 3900th post.

Unfortunately, these newbie modern writers don't seem to know of this Wonder Woman past.
    Last edited by Phoenixx9; 02-19-2019 at 06:48 AM.

Making every mythological or historical warrior woman an Amazon might be going too far.
    Agreed. I'd far rather that the cultures and socieities of Themyscira and Bana-Mighdall be well-developed, and perhaps some real stories based around some Amazons who were away during their enslavement and the split between the Themyscirans and the Bana-Mighdall.

But no name-dropping for the sake of name-dropping, though I can make an exception for Sappho. Especially not when such name-dropping would just tend to bring in more warrior women, rather than poets, artists, architechts, inventors, or doctors.
    Last edited by kjn; 02-19-2019 at 06:20 AM.

The Amazons themselves are based on Scythian people. Which has a large range from Middle East to Eurasia. However, since their that big I don’t think it’s necessary on paradise island the different beliefs. Rather the fact They were all much like golden age into servants. I mean the fact that Ares basically took down their whole country. I feel even if there are different beliefs they should be a few. I mean in Wonder Woman the whole point is the Greek gods in their origins. So if much like the Banas we make them a separate things. Why not make them on the outside world.

Trying to put more beliefs on paradise island would make it more of a mess in the beginning. Besides we won’t even see any of the gods or what they do. Dc just won’t do that. They barely respect her
    Last edited by AmiMizuno; 02-19-2019 at 07:56 AM.

I think Carmilla could make for an interesting enemy for Diana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmilla

It would or course require a more mordernized and progressive handling of the character than the original source material.

I think Carmilla could make for an interesting enemy for Diana.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carmilla

It would or course require a more mordernized and progressive handling of the character than the original source material.
    Interesting, I love Gothic fiction and characters and had not come across her before. Thanks!

In my Wonder Woman Series Bible Thingee, I’m working in the leprechauns Wonder Woman used to run into during the Golden Age and the gremlins (although they were aliens) that she interacted with in her book a few years before the Crisis.

I’m also working on broadening the Queen of Fables background as a way introduce other folklore aspects into the books.

Alongside that, I have a least one new character who’s origin is based on a fairly widespread folklore concept.

As far other mythologies, I’m must interested in Gundra and the Valkyries returning (in a more interesting way than in the Odyssey of the Amazons) and exploring the Egyptian gods, who have untapped potential.

Considering how Marvel uses their versions of Heracles, Hippolyta, Ares, Venus, etc. I’d love it if DC played around with developed their own version of Thor to go up against Diana.