Incredible Member

Default Anyone watch the Dragon Prince on Netflix?

I just finished season 2, it's such a good show, last air bender original series vibe, with that 2d/3d animated art style. Season 1 had some choppy scenes with slower movement but that seems to have been mostly addressed in season 2, but the art style looks great to me.

9 episodes per season, but short duration so each season is kind of like a 3 hour animated movie. Still, very well done, and they dropped season 2 in what seems like 6 months or less since season 1 aired, if they can keep that cadence up, we will get to see more without waiting too long.

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

I watched the second season over the weekend, I enjoyed it. As a whole the show is starting to find itself. It isn't a complex show, or even all that unique in terms of plot or theme. But there's a enough to keep you invested, and slowly but surely you're rewarded as a viewer. It's the kind of show that can be predicted to the point of a few narrative choices, but somehow they choose the option you think they wouldn't, and the sell it well.

I'm glad they moved away from the stepped animation of the first season, I can appreciate what they tried to do with it, but it didn't work out well.

But as you said, the short seasons make for a fairly easy watch if you're looking for some simple fantasy to consume.
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Haven't gotten to season 2 just yet, but I did enjoy season 1 (and yeah, some jumpy animation in season 1 at times). But overall, an entertaining show. A quick background on the lore of the world and everything.

And that motherly mama bear aunt is an awesome character. She's deaf, but close to her nephews, cares for them deeply (and they both care about her), but man is she scary when they're threatened (in her eyes).

Quote Originally Posted by Personamanx View Post
    I watched the second season over the weekend, I enjoyed it. As a whole the show is starting to find itself. It isn't a complex show, or even all that unique in terms of plot or theme. But there's a enough to keep you invested, and slowly but surely you're rewarded as a viewer. It's the kind of show that can be predicted to the point of a few narrative choices, but somehow they choose the option you think they wouldn't, and the sell it well.
    Exactly this, but yea it still has some entertainment value. It almost has this faithbased animation simplicity/toothlessness to it, almost.

I think this is great for younger kids though, espcially in regards to the representation.

I feel for Viren so much. Never before has a well-intentioned Dark Mage tried so hard to keep humanity going and gotten so little respect for it.
    Hazard's Playhouse - Episodic anime reviews and other things. Current Post: Houshin Engi: What was Skipped
    My Fanfiction.Net Profile

Hold your machete tight! Personamanx's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sain View Post
    I think this is great for younger kids though, espcially in regards to the representation.
    Most definitely. Having a deaf/mute as a major supporting character is alright, but having her be one of the show's best fighters is awesome. It's also neat in season two with the blind sea captain, whose so scarily competent that their blindness is one of the few things that's not played for laughs about him. The narcolepsy is, but that's already rare enough to see in a youth program.

spoilers:
    A same sex kiss is great, especially in a show without a lot of kissing. Sucks that both of them died in the backstory, but hopefully they can bring some more LGBT characters in future seasons.
    end of spoilers
    Continuity, even in a "shared" comics universe is often insignificant if not largely detrimental to the quality of a comic.

Immortal X-Men - Once & Future- X-Cellent - X-Men: Red

Nobody cares about what you don't like, they barely care about what you do like.

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    I feel for Viren so much. Never before has a well-intentioned Dark Mage tried so hard to keep humanity going and gotten so little respect for it.
    This. That guy is arguably the most interesting character in the show.

I am glad to be able to watch The Dragon Prince. It’s certainly not perfect but it has great potential to be a classic a la Avatar: TLA and Voltron, IMO.
    "What I sought, I could not obtain."

"This is a meaningless battle. We are two madmen engaging in senseless folley."

"I will kill, I will let live..."

--Genuine Fake Priest Kotomine Kirei

Quote Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
    Harrow was such an awful king, and Viren kept having to make his ill-conceived ideas work.
    Context is king.

X-23's most basic surface level characteristic that any idiot should grasp: Stoicism.
    I don't demand that her every minor appearance be a nuance in-depth examination of her character, but is it to much to ask she be written in Archetype?! This is storytelling 101! If you want people to stay invested in a character, you need to, at the bare minimum, write them such a way that they can plausibly be believed to be the same character!