Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Scott Summers, bipolar?

Has very low depressive moments and extremely hyper capable moments

Morrison’s run as a drunk, Uncanny Cmen 11
    And then all the moments oh him being a badass

If I misinterpreted what it’s like to be bipolar I apologize

No, his moods are perfectly explained by what happens around him, bipolarity does not work like that.

What I have always suspected is that he may have an obsessive-compulsive disorder.

No.

Scott doesn't have a disorder. This is just how he is currently being written at the current moment.

Bipolar and several other disorders wouldn't really fit Scott across the board. It be pretty dangerous territory to give him a disorder at this stage of the game as well, simply do to the misrepresentation it would hold over the length of the characters life.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Extraordinary Member

I think you can make a fine case for him having clinical depression and yes, maybe OCD, but not bipolar disorder.

You could fill the entire punch dimension with the therapy bills this guy should be piling up. Y'know, if there weren't comics to print.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    No.

Scott doesn't have a disorder. This is just how he is currently being written at the current moment.

Bipolar and several other disorders wouldn't really fit Scott across the board. It be pretty dangerous territory to give him a disorder at this stage of the game as well, simply do to the misrepresentation it would hold over the length of the characters life.
    Hank Pym was only revealed to be bipolar a few years ago, so just the fact he's been around since the silver age isn't an excuse. The bigger issue here is that it can be hereditary. Which means if he had it, then Cable, X-Man, and Prestige could have it too. Also, another comic is already exploring bipolar disorder. Unstoppable Wasp. Like father, like daughter, you see. Nadia is bipolar.

Scott might be autistic though.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

At this point every single marvel hero is a barely functional psychological wreck.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Hank Pym was only revealed to be bipolar a few years ago, so just the fact he's been around since the silver age isn't an excuse. The bigger issue here is that it can be hereditary. Which means if he had it, then Cable, X-Man, and Prestige could have it too. Also, another comic is already exploring bipolar disorder. Unstoppable Wasp. Like father, like daughter, you see. Nadia is bipolar.

Scott might be autistic though.
    Well, it's not like Cable did not also have paranoid traits. In the Jeen's comic Hope even jokes with it as something hereditary of the Summers.

In All-New All-Different X-Men is even mentioned and implies OCD with Tyke

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by norj View Post
    At this point every single marvel hero is a barely functional psychological wreck.
    I don't know, Kamala Khan and many of the younger characters still seem functional. That must be stopped.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Glio View Post
    Well, it's not like Cable did not also have paranoid traits. In the Jeen's comic Hope even jokes with it as something hereditary of the Summers.

In All-New All-Different X-Men is even mentioned and implies OCD with Tyke
    I don't want to sound crazy, but couldn't it be argued that OCD is just a part of his powers? Like, don't his powers allow him to see patterns or geometric lines and that's part of how he aims so well?

I think a power like that would probably end up making anyone a bit OCD because you'd be able to tell if something was out of place.

No he is not. Editor just making him be like Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde. 99% of the x men are broken but hey they would not be x men with out being broken.

Scott just needs more ice-cream.

Nope. He has your standard issue Marvel ANGST! All white, male heroes are required to have it at some point. Symptoms mostly involve rooftops and rain.

As someone with OCD, I don't see OCD in him at all. Even pure O. What is his uncontrollable, recurring thought that causes him distress, and may result in compulsive behavior? That's the hallmark of OCD.

Quote Originally Posted by DearMachine View Post
    Nope. He has your standard issue Marvel ANGST! All white, male heroes are required to have it at some point. Symptoms mostly involve rooftops and rain.

As someone with OCD, I don't see OCD in him at all. Even pure O. What is his uncontrollable, recurring thought that causes him distress, and may result in compulsive behavior? That's the hallmark of OCD.
    Mutant extinction? "All is my fault"? I don't know

No

He does lots of self loathing. He puts the blame of everything on his shoulders this allows others less pressure.