Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Let characters grow.

Have really tight continuity.

Do a full, total clean-slate, unapologetic reboot every 15 years.

Invent an excuse for the previous continuity to keep existing and allow it's use ("OH MY GOD, THE MULTIVERSE IS ACTUALLY ROTATING AND EVERY 15 YEARS ANOTHER EARTH TAKES THE SPACE OF THE MAIN EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!" or something).

Have as a tradition that Barry Allen dies at year 7.5 of each universe (or whoever the main Flash at the starting point is).

There, everything, for everybody, forever.
    Last edited by BohemiaDrinker; 02-19-2019 at 05:56 PM.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

The Bronza Age universe got it right, IMO, by having the Earth-1 superheroes young and the first ones on the scene, while Earth-2 had them older and with legacies. Having all of the superheroes on one Earth, however, ensures a reboot once Bruce and Clark close in on middle age.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Things need to stay static, in mainstream superhero comics.

Characters like BATMAN, AQUAMAN, and SUPERMAN exist for everyone and need to remain open and available to readers of all shoe sizes.
    In entertainment things don't need to be a certain way. The only thing they need is money so more stories can be told.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by BohemiaDrinker View Post
    Let characters grow.

Have really tight continuity.

Do a full, total clean-slate, unapologetic reboot every 15 years.

Invent an excuse for the previous continuity to keep existing and allow it's use ("OH MY GOD, THE MULTIVERSE IS ACTUALLY ROTATING AND EVERY 15 YEARS ANOTHER EARTH TAKES THE SPACE OF THE MAIN EARTH!!!!!!!!!!!" or something).

Have as a tradition that Barry Allen dies at year 7.5 of each universe (or whoever the main Flash at the starting point is).

There, everything, for everybody, forever.
    I love/hate it.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

I prefer growing older/steady progression than staying the same age forever.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I love/hate it.
    So do I.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Comics however, have become notorious for refusing to allow characters to grow/age.
    I think this would be amongst longtime comic fans who want their favorite fictional characters to mirror their experiences, grow older with them.

For the rest of the world? They consider superheroes as being static, unchanging. Like the Simpsons. Nobody expects the Simpsons to change permanently. Or James Bond. Why would Superman be different?

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    So, do you think that characters should be able to grow old and pass the mantle on (or at least experiment with it), or keep everything "static", so to speak?
    There's no right or wrong approach. DC will continue to explore all of them. Strict continuity. "Progression". Then reboots. New legacies. Deboots.

So the next few years is more of the same- lots of superficial status quo-changing stories that get undone. For now.

But once the Direct Market goes, then interlocking history and inter-related continuity will become much, much less important.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Use the Multiverse well, have Superman, Batman & Wonder Woman migrate to the latest Earth every decade or so to be reborn as their newest selves while the prior continuities become the newest Earth-1 and Earth-2 and Earth-Whatever...

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    What would DC have to gain from ageing Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne out of the DC Universe and doing alternate universe comics with them instead?
    A re-energized fanbase.

Imagine if in 1992 DC had decided to leave Clark/Kal dead and actually given the Superman franchise over to Kon-El, John Henry Irons, or the Eradicator. No resurrection, no reboot- just a DC Universe where the traditional Superman was gone. maybe this boosts sales, maybe it doesn't for the Superman line, but imagine the sales on Knightfall when people realize that DC just might really retire Bruce permanently after Bane breaks his back. Or the sales on Flash during Terminal velocity after prople realize that both Clark and Btuce really were taken off the table for the immediate future. Imagine if the next time there is a big change in the status quo of the DCU that there is no guarantee that things will be back to "normal" in a year or so.