Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 58
  1. #16
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The problem is it's not a trait unique to Wonder Woman. I know this is a minority opinion, but the original shouldn't copy the knock-off. Wonder Woman is a GREAT character and always has been. So great she provided the inspiration for Xena. In the past ten years Wonder Woman has gotten a red, gold and blue version of Xena's costume, began carrying around a sword and shield like Xena and now we want her to adopt Xena's sexuality too. What's wrong with Steve? He never stopped Wonder Woman from becoming a lgbtq icon. You don't have to date your same sex in order to be an advocate for the queer community. That's already evident by how many of us in her fanbase are gay.
    I think the fact Diana grew up among ALL women population in her island pretty much dictates that the only option available as a romantic/sexual partner was another female. It's in her story already. Pretty hard to avoid that unless the Amazons had not feelings or physical desires.

  2. #17
    Moderator Nyssane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,578

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    From now on, I'm going to refer to every heterosexual romance as a Titanic ripoff.
    This made me genuinely lol.

    If anyone is surprised that Wonder Woman isn't 100% straight then I'm not sure what comic book you've been reading. She's literally from an island of only women. I'm of the mind that she prefers men, but that doesn't mean that she hasn't or won't pursue relationships with women.

  3. #18
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think the fact Diana grew up among ALL women population in her island pretty much dictates that the only option available as a romantic/sexual partner was another female. It's in her story already. Pretty hard to avoid that unless the Amazons had not feelings or physical desires.
    That's part of my problem with it, it's such a cliche. Wonder Woman's world is already queer, why does she have to be too? It's far more radical and a stronger political statement for her to be straight in spite of her environment.

  4. #19
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    This made me genuinely lol.

    If anyone is surprised that Wonder Woman isn't 100% straight then I'm not sure what comic book you've been reading. She's literally from an island of only women. I'm of the mind that she prefers men, but that doesn't mean that she hasn't or won't pursue relationships with women.
    Funny that I've had the same thought . Maybe she does.


    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's part of my problem with it, it's such a cliche. Wonder Woman's world is already queer, why does she have to be too? It's far more radical and a stronger political statement for her to be straight in spite of her environment.
    I just find it very hard to believe, but I see your point. And maybe she prefers men, but she is also very comfortable with females because that's all she saw growing up.

  5. #20
    Mighty Member Koriand'r's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Posts
    1,430

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Funny that I've had the same thought . Maybe she does.




    I just find it very hard to believe, but I see your point. And maybe she prefers men, but she is also very comfortable with females because that's all she saw growing up.
    That's just it, if you're on an island with only females for all your life but one day Hawkman shows up carrying a giant mace, with sun glistening on his hairy muscles, you're going to go "Wow!" no matter who you are. lol

  6. #21
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    21,031

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's part of my problem with it, it's such a cliche. Wonder Woman's world is already queer, why does she have to be too? It's far more radical and a stronger political statement for her to be straight in spite of her environment.
    Surely you must see the irony in calling a bisexual Wonder Woman a cliche in a world where LGBT are still underrepresented in fiction compared to their heterosexual counterparts?

    If Diana being straight is so radical why did we have people denying her bisexuality when Rucka confirmed it?

  7. #22
    Mighty Member LordUltimus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    1,961

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    I think the fact Diana grew up among ALL women population in her island pretty much dictates that the only option available as a romantic/sexual partner was another female. It's in her story already. Pretty hard to avoid that unless the Amazons had not feelings or physical desires.
    I mean, asexuals and aromantics are a thing. Not that I want Diana to be one.

  8. #23
    Standing Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,439

    Default

    It depends on what Diana was exposed to in all her time on the island growing up. If she never even knew there was a thing called a "man" and everything she was taught was that women pair off together and you select your mate from the wide variety of Amazons--then surely a man would seem as strange to her as a sentient green gas cloud from Antares would seem to any of us.

    I suppose there are some people who want to have sex with anything and everything as soon as they see it, but most people are not going to immediately fall in love with that thing and want to have its babies, if they have no idea what it is.

    I would guess that Diana already had a few crushes on the Amazons that were her type. Probably not overly aggressive Amazons--since her taste in men seems to run toward the soft, sensitive sort yet athletic and capable. This is why Mala appears the best love interest for her, prior to meeting Steve.
    You can't jump a jet plane like you can a freight train,
    So I'd best be on my way in the early morning rain.

  9. #24
    Astonishing Member kjn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    3,193

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's part of my problem with it, it's such a cliche. Wonder Woman's world is already queer, why does she have to be too? It's far more radical and a stronger political statement for her to be straight in spite of her environment.
    I will seriously consider that argument once every DC superhero but Diana is LGBT.

    And the on camera aspect cannot be understated. How many frames have been published in DC titles showing Amazons (even excluding Diana) in romantic relations with men? How many with women? Because right now the Amazons are only queer in the paratext, not actual text.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

  10. #25
    Astonishing Member stargazer01's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,142

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    That's just it, if you're on an island with only females for all your life but one day Hawkman shows up carrying a giant mace, with sun glistening on his hairy muscles, you're going to go "Wow!" no matter who you are. lol
    hmm, not necessarily. I mean, am a female but I don't care how beautiful a woman can be or look, I'm not going to feel attracted to her in a sexual way. I never have so far. Maybe some or most Amazons won't be as impressed as you think. It's something personal.

  11. #26
    Wonder Moderator Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    Okay, folks, let's (a) keep it on topic and (b) avoid insulting those who don't share your own personal sexual preferences.

    It's a minefield of a topic y'all are walkin' through, but so far, you've been tiptoeing nicely, so let's not lump any one group into 'boring' or assume that someone might change their preference under particular conditions.
    Gaelforce
    Superman/Wonder Woman/TV Film Forum Moderator
    THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES - Ignorance of the rules is no excuse!

  12. #27
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Last I checked, being into women wasn't a trait unique to Xena. And Xena never actually dated a woman in the show any way.
    Um. M'ila, Lao Ma, Akemi, Annokin, Cyanne, maybe Alti and Satrina and others may disagree. But, I think the most vocal disagreement would come from Gabrielle. For a mid 90s / early 2000s syndicated TV show, I'm not sure there is much more that they could have realistically done to show that Xena and Gabrielle were dating / partners in every sense of the word. The "kiss", as convoluted as it was, in the second season episode "The Quest" was just the starting point.

  13. #28
    Incredible Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    607

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    The problem is it's not a trait unique to Wonder Woman. I know this is a minority opinion, but the original shouldn't copy the knock-off. Wonder Woman is a GREAT character and always has been. So great she provided the inspiration for Xena.
    Has that ever been confirmed by John Schulian or Rob Tapert, the co-creators of Xena? The Hercules TV series was originally going to be Conan, but they didn't want to pay for licensing, so they used the public domain Hercules instead. As such, Xena may well have originally been envisioned as Red Sonja, Belit or Zenobia. Tapert has been open about being heavily influenced by Hong Kong action figures, particularly The Bride with White Hair when creating Xena. One of the key scenes in Xena's second appearance on Hercules was almost a shot for shot remake of a scene from that movie.

    And other characters, like She-Ra: Princess of Power, seem to be a more obvious inspiration for a character who is introduced as a blood thirsty and ruthless warlord who roams Greece pillaging and murdering before deciding to atone for her past sins.

  14. #29
    Astonishing Member WonderScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    3,114

    Default

    Besides Stephanie Trevor of Earth 11, I could also see Diana and Adrianna Tomaz, aka Isis, dating. They’d be quite the power couple on Prime Earth.

  15. #30
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    4,296

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    It depends on what Diana was exposed to in all her time on the island growing up. If she never even knew there was a thing called a "man" and everything she was taught was that women pair off together and you select your mate from the wide variety of Amazons--then surely a man would seem as strange to her as a sentient green gas cloud from Antares would seem to any of us.

    I suppose there are some people who want to have sex with anything and everything as soon as they see it, but most people are not going to immediately fall in love with that thing and want to have its babies, if they have no idea what it is.

    I would guess that Diana already had a few crushes on the Amazons that were her type. Probably not overly aggressive Amazons--since her taste in men seems to run toward the soft, sensitive sort yet athletic and capable. This is why Mala appears the best love interest for her, prior to meeting Steve.
    Eh, not really - whether you've ever seen another human of the opposite gender or not, there's plenty of biological, evolutionary instincts to explain being attracted to your gender's opposite for mating, gas clouds don't have that.

    Like seemingly the majority here, I think she prefers men but obviously had crushes if not relationships with women while growing up on the island.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •