Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    Thanks for proving the point, that image is definitely disrespectful.
    You see an image because its coming up blank for me.

Mighty Member

Comment Deleted.
    Last edited by Lex Luthor; 11-19-2019 at 01:56 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Nobody with an established and effectively permanent love interest (Superman has Lois, for example) because it's destined to fail as soon as nostalgia for the older pairing comes back around. If we're going to finally let Diana have a girlfriend, she needs to be someone that revolves around the plans for Diana, not someone who will inevitably have another editor controlling them. To that end, probably a new character (because those certainly last, right?) but if not... Mala, I guess? Artemis is another solid choice if we're selecting an Amazon, but I feel a bit iffy on that considering all of them changed her diapers so on some level I imagine it's a bit weird for them. Perhaps not. I know Rucka alluded to prior relationships on Themyscira so I'm sure they're over it. If memory serves (and at 2 AM it rarely does), wasn't Io harboring some unrequited feelings for Diana in Rucka's first run. That could work too.

Personally, I'd prefer that she just be a new character who resides in Gateway City which they should absolutely re-establish. Let's rebuild Diana's corner of the universe and not just limit her to Gods, Themyscira and now Steve (though I love all three).

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Nobody with an established and effectively permanent love interest (Superman has Lois, for example) because it's destined to fail as soon as nostalgia for the older pairing comes back around. If we're going to finally let Diana have a girlfriend, she needs to be someone that revolves around the plans for Diana, not someone who will inevitably have another editor controlling them. To that end, probably a new character (because those certainly last, right?) but if not... Mala, I guess? Artemis is another solid choice if we're selecting an Amazon, but I feel a bit iffy on that considering all of them changed her diapers so on some level I imagine it's a bit weird for them. Perhaps not. I know Rucka alluded to prior relationships on Themyscira so I'm sure they're over it. If memory serves (and at 2 AM it rarely does), wasn't Io harboring some unrequited feelings for Diana in Rucka's first run. That could work too.

Personally, I'd prefer that she just be a new character who resides in Gateway City which they should absolutely re-establish. Let's rebuild Diana's corner of the universe and not just limit her to Gods, Themyscira and now Steve (though I love all three).
    Artemis wasn't on the island when Diana was born and grew up. They were born and raised on two separate countries entirely.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Artemis wasn't on the island when Diana was born and grew up. They were born and raised on two separate countries entirely.
    Yeah, that works fine. I get that, but when someone wants her to hook up with an Amazon it always seems to be from Themyscira and I'm uneasy about that. The Bana-Mighdall work better in that respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, that works fine. I get that, but when someone wants her to hook up with an Amazon it always seems to be from Themyscira and I'm uneasy about that. The Bana-Mighdall work better in that respect.
    I think that partly depends on that the Amazons are developed. There are at least two ways you can get around the trouble of Diana dating her aunt. One is that there is a generation of Amazons that is just slightly older than Diana (which is one of my own pet ideas), on the order of 2-5 years. Finding dating partners there won't feel too icky. The other is to have something similar to Morrison's Earth One, where Themyscira is the home for several Amazon communities. They have some contact, but not every day. Then Diana can find some romantic partner in those communities, with Amazons that are older than her but wasn't around her while she was growing up.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

It's relevant to address Diana's age. We know she's immortal, but is she already hundreds of years old before she even meets Steve or is she as old as she looks?

If she's only in her twenties, I can see most if not all the Amazons being reluctant to pursue a relationship with her--even if she showed interest, which I'm sure she would--as she'd probably still be seen as the baby of Themyscira in their eyes.
    But if she's centuries old, it seems ridiculous that in all that time she's never hooked up with anyone until Steve came ashore.

Spectacular Member

It's relevant to address Diana's age. We know she's immortal, but is she already hundreds of years old before she even meets Steve or is she as old as she looks?

If she's only in her twenties, I can see most if not all the Amazons being reluctant to pursue a relationship with her--even if she showed interest, which I'm sure she would--as she'd probably still be seen as the baby of Themyscira in their eyes.
    But if she's centuries old, it seems ridiculous that in all that time she's never hooked up with anyone until Steve came ashore.
    It is stated she is about 2000 years old. And it is also stated she dated several amazons.

Fantastic Member

A close friendship, motherly love, sisterly love yes!! Romantic love!! Not something i'd be interested in seeing!!
    Last edited by lotchj; 11-02-2019 at 05:49 PM.

I don't think it's her style. The whole point for Diana leaving Themyscira was to learn about and assist the world of man. Seems counter-productive if she looks for companionship in another woman. The hints that Diana may have been in relationships with other Amazonians always just felt like fetishism to me.
    Last edited by Citizen Kane; 11-03-2019 at 01:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    I don't think it's her style. The whole point for Diana leaving Themyscira was to learn about and assist the world of man. Seems counter-productive if she looks for companionship in another woman. The hints that Diana may have been in relationships with other Amazonians always just felt like fetishism to me.
    She left to help both women and men. Her seeking companionship with a woman is not counter-productive to that in any way.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Citizen Kane View Post
    This doesn't make any sense. Her love life doesn't have much to do with her "job."

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthor View Post
    Her love life doesn't have much to do with her "job."
    I'd disagree. Diana was "born" on an island where men were completely absent. As a result, she would not know much about man or the love of a man. If you consider Diana to be a kind of ambassador of the world of the gods to man, it's not unlikely she would find the company of a man to be beneficial in her pursuit of understanding the ways of man. However, I'm of the interpretation that the "world of man" is literal--she's trying to understand those men who were completely alien to her culture and upbringing.

I'm not interested in debating the interpretation of her mission--I'm simply partial to one rather than the others. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this interpretation was also what was originally intended when it was introduced. Even if not, my opinion on the matter doesn't change.