Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pitch A Direction: Nightshade aka Eve Eden

Another one for DC's more obscure super powers. Eve is a homo magi and her mother hails from the Land of Nightshades, a dimension whose denizens have mastered controls over shadows and darkness. Eve has has a rather varied history in her publication. She started out as a supporting character in Captain Atom when the book was owned by Charlton. Then she was a member of the Suicide Squad post crisis before serving as a member of LAW a team for the Charlton characters. Shadowpact was her second most high profile team. Recently she was in an issue of Deathstroke where she clashed with Slade.

So what direction would you pick for Eve?

For me

Night and Moon by Marjorie Liu

Eve Eden and June Moone must unite to solve a string of murders of magicians world wide. While neither trusts each other as much, they must put aside their differences to find this villain.

Magical super-spy. Globetrotting adventures with Eve being sent by her agency (be it ARGUS, Spyral, the DEO, Checkmate, SHADE, or something else) to handle supernatural threats that could directly impact American interests. Use the book to introduce new magical character/concepts into the DCU as well as polishing off old ones that may have gathered some dust (or new takes on existing characters, like a magic-imbued European crime organization controlled the the Demons Three).

I've seen her here and there, but never read any story spotlighting her. What's her motivation for being a hero? If she's somewhat undefined, I agree that super-spy seems like a cool idea for her skillset. Not sure about leaning on the magical aspects of her origin though, what with all the other more established (and more powerful) magic-users in the DCU.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    For me

Night and Moon by Marjorie Liu

Eve Eden and June Moone must unite to solve a string of murders of magicians world wide. While neither trusts each other as much, they must put aside their differences to find this villain.
    While i can undertand why ( they worked a lot together, they have a bond trought the witch backstory, they both worked for the government) i can't see the trust issue. They know each other already, and neither is a particular bad person. The only part of June you can't trust is Enchantress, and knowing you, you want her out of the picture.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I've seen her here and there, but never read any story spotlighting her. What's her motivation for being a hero?
    In Suicide Squad, her brother and mother were killed by a villain called Incubus. Incubus possessed her brother and Eve tried to free him but failed.

If she's somewhat undefined, I agree that super-spy seems like a cool idea for her skillset. Not sure about leaning on the magical aspects of her origin though, what with all the other more established (and more powerful) magic-users in the DCU.
    DC barely uses their magic characters outside a select few at a time so Eve shouldn't have much of a problem. And she's plenty powerful in her own right.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    I've seen her here and there, but never read any story spotlighting her. What's her motivation for being a hero? If she's somewhat undefined, I agree that super-spy seems like a cool idea for her skillset. Not sure about leaning on the magical aspects of her origin though, what with all the other more established (and more powerful) magic-users in the DCU.
    She wanted experience and help to save her brother from the Incubus. Given the nature of her powers, she decided to work as a spy for the government.

Before you give suggestions, both her brother and the Incubus are dead.

I've been reading a lot f Hellboy/BPRD lately so exploring the super-spy angle is where I'd start.

Quote Originally Posted by Bromor View Post
    While i can undertand why ( they worked a lot together, they have a bond trought the witch backstory, they both worked for the government) i can't see the trust issue. They know each other already, and neither is a particular bad person. The only part of June you can't trust is Enchantress, and knowing you, you want her out of the picture.
    I was going from the angle that while the Enchantress entity is gone, Eve isn't entirely sure June is purged of her influence. Likewise, June isn't sure how Eve will treat her once the mission is over.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kaijudo View Post
    Magical super-spy. Globetrotting adventures with Eve being sent by her agency (be it ARGUS, Spyral, the DEO, Checkmate, SHADE, or something else) to handle supernatural threats that could directly impact American interests. Use the book to introduce new magical character/concepts into the DCU as well as polishing off old ones that may have gathered some dust (or new takes on existing characters, like a magic-imbued European crime organization controlled the the Demons Three).
    S.H.A.D.E. certainly seems like the obvious one. Oh god with all the shadow-based powers on characters with "shade" in there name in the DCU, too ... phew ... The Shade ... Nightshade's evil brother ... ... Shade the Changing Man or Girl. Shadow Thief. It's so obvious. It's like scurrilously obvious. But then again so is a Shadowpact membership, or replacing Wonder Woman if Diana ever peaces out from Justice League Dark.

I dunno, something Charlton-ish, Ditko-ish. Maybe even a little Steranko-ish, could be cool for Nightshade if you play up the spy/shadow aspect. But something more horror could be cool, too. I've thought about this recently just because of the nature of the Charlton characters, avoiding redundancies in the DCU, and the slightly more conspiratorial nature of them - like, Captain Atom being a more military Superman (albeit all atomic and reality-shifting). Question being so X-Files/Muldery but also just rooted in conspiracy. Blue Beetle having a pretty broad legacy with a few different notes to it. The lack of Peter Cannon and lack of need for another character called "Thunderbolt". The ... well, just the weirdness of "where the heck do you even put Peacemaker"? Or Yellowjacket. And it's so hard to see any of them partnering up with each other, they all seem so isolated in their own weird little pockets.

I'd definitely play up her name, though. Like, she's got shadowy powers or whatever and so we seem to get an emphasis on "Night" and "Shade" but like ... I'd go way more in the "Nightshades are a variety of typically poisonous plants" route. DC has loads of poisonous assassin ladies, so the goal here would be ... how do you do a superHERO that uses poisons and assassin-like tactics to do hero stuff.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by K. Jones View Post
    S.H.A.D.E. certainly seems like the obvious one. Oh god with all the shadow-based powers on characters with "shade" in there name in the DCU, too ... phew ... The Shade ... Nightshade's evil brother ... ... Shade the Changing Man or Girl. Shadow Thief. It's so obvious. It's like scurrilously obvious. But then again so is a Shadowpact membership, or replacing Wonder Woman if Diana ever peaces out from Justice League Dark.

I dunno, something Charlton-ish, Ditko-ish. Maybe even a little Steranko-ish, could be cool for Nightshade if you play up the spy/shadow aspect. But something more horror could be cool, too. I've thought about this recently just because of the nature of the Charlton characters, avoiding redundancies in the DCU, and the slightly more conspiratorial nature of them - like, Captain Atom being a more military Superman (albeit all atomic and reality-shifting). Question being so X-Files/Muldery but also just rooted in conspiracy. Blue Beetle having a pretty broad legacy with a few different notes to it. The lack of Peter Cannon and lack of need for another character called "Thunderbolt". The ... well, just the weirdness of "where the heck do you even put Peacemaker"? Or Yellowjacket. And it's so hard to see any of them partnering up with each other, they all seem so isolated in their own weird little pockets.

I'd definitely play up her name, though. Like, she's got shadowy powers or whatever and so we seem to get an emphasis on "Night" and "Shade" but like ... I'd go way more in the "Nightshades are a variety of typically poisonous plants" route. DC has loads of poisonous assassin ladies, so the goal here would be ... how do you do a superHERO that uses poisons and assassin-like tactics to do hero stuff.

Shade the Changing Man and Shade the Changing Girl don't have shadow powers from what I've read.

Have her join L.E.G.I.O.N. or rejoin I.N.T.E.R.cept and protect from interdimensional threats

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf36 View Post
    Have her join L.E.G.I.O.N. or rejoin I.N.T.E.R.cept and protect from interdimensional threats

I can't find any information on this team? Who were they and who were their members?

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I can't find any information on this team? Who were they and who were their members?
    Darkstar/Jack Nebula, Captain Beta Tos, Ephyra, Shaar Q, Nightshade with later members joining Twelfth Knight and LEGION's Strata. Group of Interdimensional law enforcement agents. They appeared in Superboy and the Ravers.

I've been wondering if maybe it wouldn't hurt Eve's character to have the Land of Nightshades be revived and her people restored. Maybe that could be an arc for her.