Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Yeah, but an Inversion is kind of a cheat .
    Loki was sort of fighting against the inversion...sort of...so I think Loki has it in him lol

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'm iffy about the Squadron Supreme doing it. Pretty much all the versions we see end up trying to take over the world sooner or later.
    I figure if Superman can lift it, and Diana possibly can lift it, then some version of their Marvel analogues should be able to as well. Plus, who says taking over the world is a bad thing? Odin is a monarch and an autocrat who presides over all of Asgard and then some. And someday he hopes to pass that all on to Thor. You won't see him promoting a republic or democratic platforms ever. That's why I said earlier that Odin's standard of "worthiness" likely doesn't mean what people think it means.
    “True peace is not merely the absence of tension; it is the presence of justice.”
    ~Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.

“If I love you, I have to make you conscious of what you don’t see.”
    ~James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Loki was sort of fighting against the inversion...sort of...so I think Loki has it in him lol
    I think everyone probably has an ounce of worthiness in them, but it should probably take a special brand to be able to lift Mjolnir.

I've always viewed it as a you had to essentially be a noble warrior. Admittedly that's still a rather vague explanation.

You can be a great guy without being noble and you can be superhero without being a warrior.

People like Superman or Spider-man, they may be great people but would anybody really describe them as being noble warriors?

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'll bet Squirrel Girl can.
    She has in Canon

phihffzam82qbwe.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I've always viewed it as a you had to essentially be a noble warrior. Admittedly that's still a rather vague explanation.

You can be a great guy without being noble and you can be superhero without being a warrior.

People like Superman or Spider-man, they may be great people but would anybody really describe them as being noble warriors?
    Seems to be plenty of warriors in Asgard though. Is Thor really the only noble one?

Well, the trick is probably to be really, really noble.

BANNED

Kamala Khan of course

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by JudicatorPrime View Post
    I figure if Superman can lift it, and Diana possibly can lift it, then some version of their Marvel analogues should be able to as well. Plus, who says taking over the world is a bad thing? Odin is a monarch and an autocrat who presides over all of Asgard and then some. And someday he hopes to pass that all on to Thor. You won't see him promoting a republic or democratic platforms ever. That's why I said earlier that Odin's standard of "worthiness" likely doesn't mean what people think it means.
    Iirc superman was allowed to lift it temporarily, Diana did lift it on her own merit I believe

Quote Originally Posted by kilderkin View Post
    Iirc superman was allowed to lift it temporarily, Diana did lift it on her own merit I believe
    Yeah, but Superman lifted it in JLA/Avengers while Diana lifted it in the much lower quality DC vs Marvel (Wolverine vs Lobo, really?) so his feat has higher credibility. Even if he was not really worthy as it turned out.

That said, Diana is much more "Thor-like" than Superman, so I can actually agree with her lifting it on her own merits.
    Last edited by myownlittleusername; 02-20-2019 at 06:27 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by myownlittleusername View Post
    Yeah, but Superman lifted it in JLA/Avengers while Diana lifted it in the much lower quality DC vs Marvel (Wolverine vs Lobo, really?) so his feat has higher credibility. Even if he was not really worthy as it turned out.

That said, Diana is much more "Thor-like" than Superman, so I can actually agree with her lifting it on her own merits.
    Yeah what I was thinking of too, I just recall Thor saying his father had allowed others to carry it for a time when the need was great, I think it was suggesting it was a temporary thing not about supes being worthy, but of course I'm reading between the lines

Other people should be able to pick it up, but it shouldn't bestow "the power of Thor" on them. It made sense when "Thor" was Blake and his godly essence, as it were, was kept in the hammer, but whilst Thor is alive and kicking the hammer shouldn't be able to give carbon-copy powersets to the wielder. Thor's strength comes from his genetic heritage, that was the whole point of Odin sleeping with Gaea, to produce a super-powerful hybrid.

Really the whole thing is a mess. And in general, I dislike the idea that some heroes are quantifiably better than others - it just creates a hierarchy where one fanbase is glorying about their avatar being worthy, whilst at the same time arguing against Hero X picking it up as they feel it takes away from the achievement of their hero. Just make it so only Thor can pick it up, forget about the whole worthiness angle.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post
    Other people should be able to pick it up, but it shouldn't bestow "the power of Thor" on them. It made sense when "Thor" was Blake and his godly essence, as it were, was kept in the hammer, but whilst Thor is alive and kicking the hammer shouldn't be able to give carbon-copy powersets to the wielder. Thor's strength comes from his genetic heritage, that was the whole point of Odin sleeping with Gaea, to produce a super-powerful hybrid.

Really the whole thing is a mess. And in general, I dislike the idea that some heroes are quantifiably better than others - it just creates a hierarchy where one fanbase is glorying about their avatar being worthy, whilst at the same time arguing against Hero X picking it up as they feel it takes away from the achievement of their hero. Just make it so only Thor can pick it up, forget about the whole worthiness angle.
    It definitely needs a tidy up

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Panic View Post

I believe the inscription on the hammer reads, "...shall possess the power of Thor." It's Odin who controls the power of Thor. This might be a stretch, but what that means to me is that the real Thor died in a previous Ragnarökian instance, but Odin, cheating fate, somehow managed to magically control the essence and powers of the original Thor and house them in the hammer. Replicating those godlike abilities, including those inherited by Thor genetically from his mother Gaea, wouldn't be that difficult of a magical feat for the All-Father. Elder Gods' essences have always been rather transferable, whether that be into a human as is the case with Shazam, or into inanimate objects, as evinced by pretty much every magical gem, sword, armor, etc., since fantasy stories were first told. It's just part of the lore. (And yes, I'm saying that Thor is an Elder God as the son of Gaea.)

I think it was Simonson who amended the spell to stipulate that a component of "worthiness" also meant that you had to defeat Thor in combat. That's probably the biggest safeguard to ensuring that only Thor wields the hammer, as it's pretty difficult to defeat Thor. In fact, if you can defeat a Mjolnir wielding Thor, well, you probably don't need his powers or the hammer.
    Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 02-20-2019 at 08:56 AM.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

Richard Rider Nova without a shadow of a doubt.

Luke Cage; Black Panther; Storm; Spider-Man; Lunella Lafayette; Eric Brooks.