• I like both Lois and Diana..

6 7.79%
  • Lana Lang

6 7.79%
  • Other. mention it

3 3.90%
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post

So while it is all well and good to ask people to be civil ....it overlooks that there has always been a misogynistic undercurrent in the way Lois is treated. Which is why you will notice so many high profile women and feminists in comics (Gail Simone, Kelly Sue etc) stand firm on protecting her. It is just not as simple as all this.
    So far people have been very civil, so it's not that hard when we accept that it's all opinion. Not everybody likes the same things.

Yeah, none of that stuff is any excuse to not be civil in regards to a comic book opinion. Sometimes we fail, none of us are perfect, but its a proper aim. Its kinda odd to even bring it up in a challenging manner like that.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-20-2019 at 09:29 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I like both Lois, Lana and Diana. I also like Maxima, Cat Grant, and even Brainiac Five because have you seen the Legion cartoon? There's romantic chemistry between Clark and Brainy for sure. And I met my wheelchair using fiancee in college, so I obviously have a lot of love for Lori Lemaris!

What I do not prefer is what can occasionally be a dogmatic insistence on Superman having One True Love. I wish that different universes were allowed to have different ships for Superman. Maybe he's with Lois in the main comics 'verse and the movies, but in Justice League Action he winds up married to Wonder Woman, or there's a TV show where he winds up with Cat Grant. That wouldn't work with the Hoechlin Superman, but you know what I mean.
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Quote Originally Posted by Miles To Go View Post
    That's probably the worst Lana ever put to screen if I have to be honest.
    Ima be honest it's the only version of Lana I'm familiar with...
    Last edited by RudHao; 02-22-2019 at 03:25 AM.

Master Hero Vladimir

Quote Originally Posted by Nelliebly View Post
    Lois Lane occupies a very rare space for a female character. She is both iconic as a woman in her own right, has always been closely tied to the feminist movement and is iconic as a love interest. Superman is an extremely rare male driven alpha male narrative that was literally designed to revolve around a woman which is both rare and refreshing given the dependence on revolving door love interests in so many male narratives.

The reason so many people get legitimately angry at the attempts to replace Lois from her rightful place as the romantic partner are because the reasoning given to get rid of her is almost always, like 99% of the time, linked in some manner to some kind of deeply, deepky embedded misogyny about womanhood and what makes a woman worthy of that kind of place in a story.

So while it is all well and good to ask people to be civil ....it overlooks that there has always been a misogynistic undercurrent in the way Lois is treated. Which is why you will notice so many high profile women and feminists in comics (Gail Simone, Kelly Sue etc) stand firm on protecting her. It is just not as simple as all this.

There is room for Lana Lang in this story. She was created initially as nothing more than a Lois knock off and her lack of consistent characteristics are an issue. But she belongs in his story as a younger man.

Wonder Woman is the most important female superhero designed specifically with a non powered male love interest and with a queer focus in her background for a reason/—reasons too often disrespected and ignored. Pairing her with either member of the trinity, but especially Superman, disrespects the power balance inherent and vital to her character. She should never ever be paired with a man who is stronger than her or just as strong physically. Her relationship with both Batman and Superman should not be romantic in nature. When they are paired all of their themes begin to dilute. Steve Trevor is important and acceptable to her story as he is there to reflect her themes but he should also share space with female love interests as Wonder Woman should never be tied to eternity to any man as it is against the themes and point of her narrative.

Lois Lane is arguably one of the most important love interests ever created both in and out of conics. She holds a unique space wherein she gets to be the kind of woman (career focused, sometimes prickly, pushy, often older, not a Virgin etc) that men are told through patriarchy not to want which is why itÂ’s powerful they Superman, of all men, wants her. She is the only woman to both equally represent and mirror the two sides of the secret identity. She is vital to both Clark Kent and Superman and it is in the middle where the truth lies where their love story resides. She is both integral to the themes of Superman in a way no other women if or ever will be and itÂ’s by design that she is this way. The story belongs to her just as much as it belongs to him. Her role as partner was intentional and carries great emotional weight. Attempts to get rid of her or replace her are never going to be received well and will always be met with justified anger and emotion because this has deeper connotations than just a love interest and always will.

Lois Lane is and always will be the partner for Clark Kent and Superman. Other women will come and go. She is forever.
    Yes! Lois Lane is the only worthy and legitimate love interest for Superman. She is the second most important character in the Superman mythos, second only to Superman himself. You can't do Superman without Lois. I do like Wonder Woman, but I feel that starting a relationship between her and Superman diminishes her independence and agency as protagonists of their own stories. It would be an unnecessary crossover done purely to increase sales.
    That's probably the worst Lana ever put to screen if I have to be honest.
    This might be controversial but I think Man of Steel did in a few seconds what Smallville couldn't do in eight seasons: turn Lana into an interesting and likeable character.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    in Justice League Action he winds up married to Wonder Woman
    People were taking the showrunners to task on social media for even having them date in the first place, and the producers had to assure them there was an option for Lois/Clark down the line. Recent Word is Action hasn't been officially cancelled and is "on the bubble". If it does come back, I see a lot of course correcting to allign the show with what Warner media are pushing in all mediums present, which is Clois and/or the Super-Family.

I really liked Lana in Superman 3. She was barely there in Man of Steel. I'd like to see her again but done better than in Smallville. That show made her pretty unlikable to me.

I like both Lois, Lana and Diana. I also like Maxima, Cat Grant, and even Brainiac Five because have you seen the Legion cartoon? There's romantic chemistry between Clark and Brainy for sure. And I met my wheelchair using fiancee in college, so I obviously have a lot of love for Lori Lemaris!

What I do not prefer is what can occasionally be a dogmatic insistence on Superman having One True Love. I wish that different universes were allowed to have different ships for Superman. Maybe he's with Lois in the main comics 'verse and the movies, but in Justice League Action he winds up married to Wonder Woman, or there's a TV show where he winds up with Cat Grant. That wouldn't work with the Hoechlin Superman, but you know what I mean.
    I agree, it's why I love Elsewhere/multiple universes stories. And yes, I recognize Lois as his main love interest, but not the only one in all his life. That's just not realistic and/or fun for me as a reader. Most people have more than one big love or romance in their lives, so why not Clark Kent Superman? This is fiction, so as long as it's done well and with respect for the characters, I'm fine if Superman loves someone else before or after Lois.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-22-2019 at 10:10 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Yes! Lois Lane is the only worthy and legitimate love interest for Superman. She is the second most important character in the Superman mythos, second only to Superman himself. You can't do Superman without Lois. I do like Wonder Woman, but I feel that starting a relationship between her and Superman diminishes her independence and agency as protagonists of their own stories. It would be an unnecessary crossover done purely to increase sales.

This might be controversial but I think Man of Steel did in a few seconds what Smallville couldn't do in eight seasons: turn Lana into an interesting and likeable character.
    This is absolutely my feeling regarding Wonder Woman, not just with Superman but with Batman as well. I fee like in a relationship, they cast a long shadow over her, a character who, by her own right, is their equal. As a love interest, somehow the narrative balance shifts heavily to the men's side. For the longest time, it's been the boys' club but DC has finally made things right by putting her where she belongs but that doesn't mean the writing always reflects that and therefore I hope they never put her with either of the guys.

Smallville Lana...yeah....

Lois Lane. Why is this even a question? Diana has Steve Trevor. Why would she need Clark too?

Yeah, I thought one of the big bummers about STAS was that when they introduced characters such as Lana and Maxima, the episodes were far less interesting because this was the time when Superman and Lois were newly married in comics and it seemed that they were going to synchronize the comics and cartoon (remember, they were restricted from having Kara Zor-El from Krypton, so they had Kara In-Ze from Argon as a substitute; when Kara was introduced into the comic then they changed her appearance to match comic Kara). That meant the interaction Supes had with said ladies was awfully bland and Supes' fascination and interest in them was somewhere between minimal and none whatsoever. I never cared for Lori, though, so I'm glad she wasn't introduced. Comic synchronization giveth and taketh!

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want him to pick one of those ladies. I just figured if you're going to introduce the characters as these quasi-love interests, at least make it interesting, otherwise don't bother.

Quote Originally Posted by Osiris-Rex View Post
    Lois Lane. Why is this even a question? Diana has Steve Trevor. Why would she need Clark too?
    Because its been something fans have debated and have had opinions on for many decades. Characters having a main love interest and that stops the debate is just...not how the shipping phenomenon in fiction works. Especially when the content itself aids and abets in it purposefully. Which in this case it consistently has for, again, decades.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 02-22-2019 at 01:55 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

People were taking the showrunners to task on social media for even having them date in the first place, and the producers had to assure them there was an option for Lois/Clark down the line. Recent Word is Action hasn't been officially cancelled and is "on the bubble". If it does come back, I see a lot of course correcting to allign the show with what Warner media are pushing in all mediums present, which is Clois and/or the Super-Family.

How can any rational and emotionally stable adult get legitimately angry about shipping in a children cartoon and apparently be so offended that they have to go to social media to rant to the creators about it? Like can anyone imagine doing this and not immediately deleting all of their social media after realizing they have the same self control as an hormonally unstable 14 year old?
    Last edited by The World; 02-22-2019 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Yeah, I thought one of the big bummers about STAS was that when they introduced characters such as Lana and Maxima, the episodes were far less interesting because this was the time when Superman and Lois were newly married in comics and it seemed that they were going to synchronize the comics and cartoon (remember, they were restricted from having Kara Zor-El from Krypton, so they had Kara In-Ze from Argon as a substitute; when Kara was introduced into the comic then they changed her appearance to match comic Kara). That meant the interaction Supes had with said ladies was awfully bland and Supes' fascination and interest in them was somewhere between minimal and none whatsoever. I never cared for Lori, though, so I'm glad she wasn't introduced. Comic synchronization giveth and taketh!

Don't get me wrong, I didn't want him to pick one of those ladies. I just figured if you're going to introduce the characters as these quasi-love interests, at least make it interesting, otherwise don't bother.
    I agree! I think it's fun to see Clark/Supes exploring his options when it comes to a life partner. I basically ship him with a few as long as it's written well. It doesn't mean he's going to marry them all.

I mean, even Kara in her TV show has had a few boyfriends, and some even ship her with Lena (Supercorp), so why not Clark?

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Because its been something fans have debated and have had opinions on for many decades. Characters having a main love interest and that stops the debate is just...not how the shipping phenomenon in fiction works. Especially when the content itself aids and abets in it purposefully. Which in this case it consistently has for, again, decades.
    boring and stale. and not just fans who debate and explore, but creators too.

Superman-Wonder-Woman-image-superman-and-wonder-woman-36493967-500-459.jpg
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-22-2019 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The World View Post

How can any rational and emotionally stable adult get legitimately angry about shipping in a children cartoon and apparently be so offended that they have to go to social media to rant to the creators about it? Like can anyone imagine doing this and not immediately deleting all of their social media after realizing they have the same self control as an hormonally unstable 14 year old?
    please let's not get too aggressive.. I saw people complaining about that cartoon, but I also saw others who liked it. Superman wasn't married to Lois in that show, so, it was fair.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    boring and stale. and not just fans who debate and explore, but creators too.
    I mean, by Year 3 of New 52 SM/WW was more or less ignored by the rest of the books. Pretty sure she doesn't even speak in Unchained and only shares a scene with Batman. Their relationship is pretty much ignored there by Snyder and Lois is the love interest. Johns mentioned her maybe once in Superman and it wasn't really relevant to Justice League either? Pak brought in Lana because he couldn't use Lois apparently. Azz ignored it completely in Wonder Woman.

And issue 24 of SM/WW sold 25,000 copies and was #110 on the charts.

So if we want to talk about getting bored and stale, people seem to have gotten bored of that relationship pretty quickly as well.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-22-2019 at 03:03 PM.