15 19.48%
  • I like both Lois and Diana..

6 7.79%
  • Lana Lang

6 7.79%
  • Other. mention it

3 3.90%
Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Default Superman favorite female romantic interest..

I have noticed people on this forum had taken sides.. you either love Lois w/ Superman Or Diana with Superman.. There is no middle ground.

Am I the only one who likes both as Superman romantic interests? It seems I'm alone on this..

Sure, I'll be the first to give Lois Lane the preference because she was there from the very start. Like it or not, she is the iconic love interest for Superman/Clark Kent. That is not debatable. When written well, Lois can be a great partner and lover for Clark. I'm not surprised so many adore her.

But at the same time, I can see why Superman and Wonder Woman/Diana can work romantically and feel an strong attraction. I just don't think it works for a long time or in the main continuity. She has her own franchise. It's not meant to last. At least not until Lois dies. After that, I can see it working fine.

There is also Lana Lang.. Who I think can work as a high school girlfriend.. He had a life before Lois.

Can we have a civil discussion about this very important subject? I think we can.

note: I wanted to do a POLL but I forgot lol. Oh I learned how.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 02-19-2019 at 12:01 PM.

Just remember, you opened this can of worms.

Anyways, Supes and Lois all the way. Especially Rebirth style.

To me, the Trinity should not be in any sort of romantic relationship. Close friends, maybe even seeing one another as siblings of a sort, sure. But that's it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Just remember, you opened this can of worms.

Anyways, Supes and Lois all the way. Especially Rebirth style.

To me, the Trinity should not be in any sort of romantic relationship. Close friends, maybe even seeing one another as siblings of a sort, sure. But that's it.
    I did.. but I believe we can be civil Superman fans.

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Just remember, you opened this can of worms...
    true that

If I have to pick just one, I'll go with Wonder Woman simply to freshen up the scene. Frankly, since Bendis took over Rebirth Clark/Lois have begun to bore me (something I felt was impossible about a year ago).
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I think the problem with this conversation is a lot of people can't defend one without attacking the other. So it becomes not so much why one works but why the other doesn't. Particularly when the very arguments require one to "win" over the other and ultimately are purely subjective statements about a fictional character's value or justification, etc. presented as some sort of "fact."

Or picking the worst writing associated with either or some sort of contrived elseworlds situation as "evidence" for your favorite. They have to tear down one to justify the other. And that inevitably just gets ugly.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-19-2019 at 12:47 PM.

BANNED

Lois. Always. Forever.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think the problem with this conversation is a lot of people can't defend one without attacking the other. So it becomes not so much why one works but why the other doesn't. Particularly when the very arguments require one to "win" over the other and ultimately are purely subjective statements about a fictional character's value or justification, etc. presented as some sort of "fact."

Or picking the worst writing associated with either or some sort of contrived elseworlds situation as "evidence" for your favorite. They have to tear down one to justify the other. And that inevitably just gets ugly.
    Very true, I have seen that a lot, sadly.. I don't do that. I like both Lois and Diana for different reasons. I see the importance of Lois in his story, and I find Wonder Woman an interesting love interest and partner for him as well. For me both work in different ways and times. I mean both women are amazing characters when written well.

Astonishing Member

Always Lois.

Lana and Lori have their place in Clark's life which I would never change.

I like Diana but not as Supes' love interest.

It's always been Lois and Clark for me.

For the "observable" Superverse timeline (i.e. the part of Kal's love life that we can read about up until the Next Hard Reboot) basically goes like this IMHO:

Junior/High school age:
    Lana Lang (break up shortly after HS graduation)

"College" age:
    Experimentation with LOSH teammates / enemies as Superboy in the far future

Adult ages:
    Lori Lemaris (post-LOSH/pre-SuperMAN) - ok, I'm weird here: love her in the wheelchair, but really hate the reveal that she is a mermaid as the reason they broke up. Either ditch the mermaid angle entirely and just have her be disabled but active in his adult life in Metropolis as an amicable ex (which most Superman purists won't want) or come up with a MUCH better reason for their breakup.

Diana Prince (post-Superman debut / pre-Lois) : this is tricky if you want to incorporate their romance into one solidified timeline. IMHO, it would have to be completely secret, no one but maybe Donna and Kara know (if they're around yet). And you have to make the breakup as nuanced and believable as possible. The world never finds out, not even years afterward.

Lois Lane (post-WW / pre-Reboot): Lois figures out the secret only once she starts hanging out with Kal in both his personas as Clark and Superman, but waits for him to admit/ confirm the secret, which he eventually does. Engaged, married till the end of story and/or The Next Hard Reboot.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    Very true, I have seen that a lot, sadly.. I don't do that. I like both Lois and Diana for different reasons. I see the importance of Lois in his story, and I find Wonder Woman an interesting love interest and partner for him as well. For me both work in different ways and times. I mean both women are amazing characters when written well.
    Yup. Top two women in comics.

And I didn't mean to imply, and apologize if I did, that you were acting in bad faith here. I actually had that pic as a joke and thought I deleted it because I don't think you're coming at it to tear down either character.

Quote Originally Posted by daBronzeBomma View Post
    For the "observable" Superverse timeline (i.e. the part of Kal's love life that we can read about up until the Next Hard Reboot) basically goes like this IMHO:

Junior/High school age:

"College" age:

Adult ages:
    Lori Lemaris (post-LOSH/pre-SuperMAN) - ok, I'm weird here: love her in the wheelchair, but really hate the reveal that she is a mermaid as the reason they broke up. Either ditch the mermaid angle entirely and just have her be disabled but active in his adult life in Metropolis as an amicable ex (which most Superman purists won't want) or come up with a MUCH better reason for their breakup.

Diana Prince (post-Superman debut / pre-Lois) : this is tricky if you want to incorporate their romance into one solidified timeline. IMHO, it would have to be completely secret, no one but maybe Donna and Kara know (if they're around yet). And you have to make the breakup as nuanced and believable as possible. The world never finds out, not even years afterward.

Lois Lane (post-WW / pre-Reboot): Lois figures out the secret only once she starts hanging out with Kal in both his personas as Clark and Superman, but waits for him to admit/ confirm the secret, which he eventually does. Engaged, married till the end of story and/or The Next Hard Reboot.
    This is my prefered trajectory for all this as well. Except I don't think you need to keep the SM/WW thing secret.
    Last edited by Yoda; 02-19-2019 at 12:49 PM.

Astonishing Member

Junior/High school age:

"College" age:

Adult ages:

As you've mapped it out, I mostly agree, particularly the Lori part. I like that idea.

Diana, always Diana.

Junior/High school age:

"College" age:

Adult ages:

I like this time table. But like I said in my reply below, I don't think the SM/WW romance has to be so secret. I think they just keep it more private. I also think their romance can be more fully fleshed in alternate stories/Elseworlds.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Yup. Top two women in comics.

And I didn't mean to imply, and apologize if I did, that you were acting in bad faith here. I actually had that pic as a joke and thought I deleted it because I don't think you're coming at it to tear down either character.

This is my prefered trajectory for all this as well. Except I don't think you need to keep the SM/WW thing secret.
    Thank you, and I agree about not keeping the SM/WW a secret. Semi-secret? Only a few people know because they don't make it very public. Only closer friends and random people.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Always Lois.

Lana and Lori have their place in Clark's life which I would never change.

I like Diana but not as Supes' love interest.
    This is what I mean about being civil on the subject. thanks.