Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Default ROM: SPACEKNIGHT Appreciation 2019

ROM: SPACEKNIGHT, which Marvel published from 1979-1986, was a unique phenomenon in Marvel history. An unsuccessful Parker Brothers toy that completely fizzles within less than a year of release somehow spawns a seven-year run as a Marvel Comic, becoming an integral part of the Marvel mythos of the 1980s and fondly remembered as a cult phenomenon by older Marvel fans even three decades later. Here, we celebrate Marvel's version of Rom, Spaceknight: Son of Galador.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I really wish Marvel would cut a deal with Hasbro to reprint this series. The whole series was just fantastic. So many great guest stars. Jack of Hearts, X-Men, Shang Chi, Namor, Alpha Flight, Ant-Man, Nova, Fantastic Four, Galactus, and so many more.

BANNED

Rom #24!!! That issue featured the last appearance of Nova who's secret identity is Richard Rider!

Quote Originally Posted by 616MarvelYear is LeapYear View Post
    Rom #24!!! That issue featured the last appearance of Nova who's secret identity is Richard Rider!
    I loved that they were able to give the Nova series and actual ending in the pages of Rom since his own book was cancelled without giving the writer a chance to tie things up. If I am remembering right this was the last time we saw Rich Rider for almost a good ten years until the first New Warriors books kicked off too.

BANNED

My only complain from that beloved series is that we never had a chance to see a Rom/ Spider-Man team up.
    It would be a smasher to see them together!

Plus, Rom was a major turning point for the X-Men! He was the one responsible for Rogue's defection from Mystique's team to Xavier's.
    Last edited by Minerboh; 02-20-2019 at 11:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I loved that they were able to give the Nova series and actual ending in the pages of Rom since his own book was cancelled without giving the writer a chance to tie things up. If I am remembering right this was the last time we saw Rich Rider for almost a good ten years until the first New Warriors books kicked off too.
    Yeah, he was depowered at the end (in much the same way as Sam currently - the Corps sent him home without his helmet), but somehow Night Thrasher realised he still had it inside him and reawakened his powers in New Warriors #1.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

If memory serves me well,Rom was one of the first more science fiction characters i liked reading way back.i liked more urban super heroes but the Rom stories were must reads to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Minerboh View Post
    My only complain from that beloved series is that we never had a chance to see a Rom/ Spider-Man team up.
    It would be a smasher to see them together!

Plus, Rom was a major turning point for the X-Men! He was the one responsible for Rogue's defection from Mystique's team to Xavier's.
    Rom stories were quite relevant to other marvel comics.But as a collector of Spider-Man stories (among other comic books) if marvel had done a Spider-Man and Rom story it would not be able to be in collected editions now because of the rights to Rom.
    In a story of Rom that had Rom joining forces with other Marvel Super Heroes against the Wraiths,Spider-Man was one of those super heroes but Steve Dikto was the artist of the stories and he did not wanted to illustrate Spider Man anymore so that part of the script was changed.

Peter wasn't a team player back then anyway. Any time he has been involved (for example, Secret Wars), it wasn't by choice. It was only in the 90s when he started joining teams (he became an Avengers reservist, and Ben was a New Warrior).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

BANNED

From Rom #31

Rom notices the resemblance of Mystique with Nightcrawler!

BANNED

From Rom #32
    Rom and Rogue fall in love!

In the first round of speed dating, Rom doesn't do so well, but what's this?

Yes, he's got it. One kiss and Rogue is smitten! Not only that, but she finds she likes decency and goodness!

There you have it, folks: Rom is so The Man!
    That one kiss from him turned Rogue to the Light Side of the Force.
    You've enjoyed Rogue as an X-Man for years. Now you know who made that possible!

Awesome. I cannot wait until the entirety of ROM is collected either in a TPB format or as an omnibus.

Rom was a great series, near the end it unfortunately had bad writing and really bad art.
    I have not checked out IDW's new Rom series though.
    Last edited by PhoenixThanos; 04-22-2019 at 04:18 AM.
    I am a Marvel fan preferably cosmic storylines, especially Thanos or Dark Phoenix related, when both the Avengers and the X-Men are involved count me in, loved the original Uncanny Avengers series.
    Not a fan of any of the new characters.
    (Marvel/DC fan for 44+ years)