Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I had every issue of ROM at one point...THen my exwife pretty much forced me to sell my collection because we didnt have enough space...$300 for 20 long boxes...Oi...I should have put that EX up quicker...

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    Rom stories were quite relevant to other marvel comics.But as a collector of Spider-Man stories (among other comic books) if marvel had done a Spider-Man and Rom story it would not be able to be in collected editions now because of the rights to Rom.
    In a story of Rom that had Rom joining forces with other Marvel Super Heroes against the Wraiths,Spider-Man was one of those super heroes but Steve Dikto was the artist of the stories and he did not wanted to illustrate Spider Man anymore so that part of the script was changed.
    There's a reason Spidey and Doc Strange didn't appear in the Rom stories featuring other heroes, at least the ones Steve Ditko was involved with-Ditko refused to draw anything featuring those 2 characters when he returned to Marvel, and since he had a long run on ROm those 2 did not appear in those issues. Ditko wanted no part of returning to the characters he had a long run on during his previous stint at Marvel.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Here's the original commercial for the Rom toy, all the concepts in the commercial were in place before Marvel was involved and were done by the Parker Brothers development team, not Marvel, so they all belonged to Parker Brothers, not Marvel, which is at the heart of the rights issue for Rom.

-M

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    There's a reason Spidey and Doc Strange didn't appear in the Rom stories featuring other heroes, at least the ones Steve Ditko was involved with-Ditko refused to draw anything featuring those 2 characters when he returned to Marvel, and since he had a long run on ROm those 2 did not appear in those issues. Ditko wanted no part of returning to the characters he had a long run on during his previous stint at Marvel.

-M
    I wonder why Steve Dikto did not wanted to illustrate Spider-Man and Doctor Strange stories anymore after he returned to Marvel.

Here's the original commercial for the Rom toy, all the concepts in the commercial were in place before Marvel was involved and were done by the Parker Brothers development team, not Marvel, so they all belonged to Parker Brothers, not Marvel, which is at the heart of the rights issue for Rom.

-M
    Interesting.I id not knew that the concept of the Wraiths as Rom villains was done by the Parker brothers development team.
    I always thought that they were created in the Marvel Rom stories.
    Last edited by comicscollector; 04-24-2019 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by whiteshark View Post
    I wonder why Steve Dikto did not wanted to illustrate Spider-Man and Doctor Strange stories anymore after he returned to Marvel.

Interesting.I id not knew that the concept of the Wraiths as Rom villains was done by the Parker brothers development team.
    I always thought that they were created in the Marvel Rom stories.
    Ditko said he had no wish to revisit the past after moving on. He considered returning to those characters a step back, and he also felt the reasons why he left hadn't been addressed, so while he would take work formMarvel again, he would not return to those two properties which were still sore spots for him.

-M

BANNED

Incredible Hulk #296 Jun 1984
    "To Kill or Cure!" Guest Starring Rom Spaceknight.
    As the Incredible Hulk battles the Max Hammer/Hulk,

Rom, greatest of the Spaceknights of Galador, arrives and uses his neutralizer

to save those exposed to Banner's experimental gamma-technology.

But, does even a Spaceknight have the power to stop the rampage of two Hulks?

Story by Bill Mantlo. Art by Sal Buscema and Gerry Talaoc.

ROM is owned by Paramount right? The last I heard they were having a rough time. Marvel really needs to just cut a check and lock down the character. See for yourselves, Paramount is desperate. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/17/b...t-pictures.htm
    l'm sure they will part with the character for a sandwich and twenty bucks
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Marvel has cut deals in the past like how they worked it out so they could reprint the Godzilla series in the Essential format. I wish they would cut a deal for a one time Rom reprint collection.

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Marvel has cut deals in the past like how they worked it out so they could reprint the Godzilla series in the Essential format. I wish they would cut a deal for a one time Rom reprint collection.
    Disney should just buy the character. Paramount is hurting for cash. They can get it cheap.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Disney should just buy the character. Paramount is hurting for cash. They can get it cheap.
    I thought it was Hasbro that owned the character. And your link is not working.

-M

BANNED

Marvel presented a incredible version of Rom. It was one of my favourite series back in the day.
    If they make a movie, they better follow Mantlo's Rom as much as it is possible.
    Here's a fan art of mine. Hope that you like it!
    IMG_20190628_070127.jpg

I am surprised IDW did not work out a deal to do collections of both Rom and the Micronauts. Especially since the worked out a deal with Marvel to publish some of Marvel's books for a younger audience.

I thought it was Hasbro that owned the character. And your link is not working.

-M
    Really? Okay I'll get to the point. Paramount is hemorrhaging money to the point where people are beginning to wonder if there will even be a Paramount in the future.

Ultimate Member

-M
    Dr. Strange did appear, I remember that. Don't remember who drew the issue though, but he saved Rom while fighting the In-Betweener.

Yeah, of all the heroes Rom ran into from one issue to the next, only now does it occur to me that he never met Spidey, the team up king, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    Dr. Strange did appear, I remember that. Don't remember who drew the issue though, but he saved Rom while fighting the In-Betweener.

Yeah, of all the heroes Rom ran into from one issue to the next, only now does it occur to me that he never met Spidey, the team up king, lol.
    That issue had art by Sal Buscema inked by Akin & Garvey. No Ditko.

-M