Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    I find disappointing that whenever Barry shows a little personality people complaint that "He's being written like Wally".

To me, Williamson is doing one of the most competent pure superhero stories currently. He understands the classic aspects of the franchise and modernize them in very logical ways (which is something that not a lot of writers do well despite of their similar intentions, again, see Ben Percy's Green Arrow). Not only that but he also pays a lot of respect to the many different speedsters being either Barry, Wally, Bart and even Jay, I'm really anticipating what he will able to do with the rest once they reappear.

That being said, I wouldn't be against someone like Jeff Lemire taking over the title after Williamson since everything Lemire touches turns into gold.

And please, no more Mark Waid. His time passed long before his first run ended.
    I think Williamson is probably one of the few writers who knows how to distinguish between Barry and Wally.

The only issues I have with him is that his Barry is a little too mopey and it seems like his love for the Flash Family is curtailed by DC Editorial (not that he has much of a say in that).

Lemire is gold on everything but team books .

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The Terrifics say otherwise.

Astonishing Member

Flash is at its best when a writer who deeply understands the characters and the world of the series has a long run. Williamson understands The Flash, I want to see him on the title for a long time. There's still so much of the Flash mythos he hasn't had the chance to explore yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    The Terrifics say otherwise.
    Unsurprisingly his team book with the smallest roster .

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

In my opinion, Lemire excels when he is writing his own original material a la Sweet Tooth, Essex County, the Nobody, Trillium, Plutona, Lost Dogs, Underwater Welder, etcetera. He seems to falter whenever he writes mainstream superhero comics. Also, I do not hold his run on Green Arrow in such high regard as Rakzo does. It seemed to try too hard to emulate Geoff Johns's Green Lantern, and the Arrow television show.

Almost anyone would be better than Williamson at this point. Grant Morrison is my top pick. He has shown a great love for the wacky Silver Age adventures of Barry and he has shown that he gets the character.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Always Rakzo

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    In my opinion, Lemire excels when he is writing his own original material a la Sweet Tooth, Essex County, the Nobody, Trillium, Plutona, Lost Dogs, Underwater Welder, etcetera. He seems to falter whenever he writes mainstream superhero comics. Also, I do not hold his run on Green Arrow in such high regard as Rakzo does. It seemed to try too hard to emulate Geoff Johns's Green Lantern, and the Arrow television show.
    I think is more like he wanted to develop a proper mythology for Green Arrow and to be honest, and despite that Lemire barely touched the surface, it was still much, MUCH more complex than what Johns did. The concept of emotions being channeled into different colour Corps was pretty fun at the beginning but at the end that's all it was, emotions and colours. The Clans that Lemire created explored different styles of fighting, which type weapon was more effective against others and even which kind of mentality each Clan represented. It was heavily based on classic martial art stories more than anything comic related.

Also, the Arrow influence was mostly because the show was sadly popular at the time and so, I believe Lemire felt forced to include a few aspects of it but fortunately didn't overdo it (that's what Andrew Kreisberg would do later on and that's why his run blew as expected). In fact, I would say that Lemire was trying to emulate more the adventure feel of the Golden Age than the more "grim and gritty" eras that Arrow is heavily inspired by (which is the reason why Arrow seems so much like Batman at times).

I'd like to see Williamson make it to #100 personally.

After him, I don't really know. Maybe give Manapul another shot. I enjoyed his run and now he wouldn't have to deal with new52 stuff. Maybe Venditti. Apparently his GL stuff was good and I've heard positive things about his Hawkman. If he can do both of them good then I can see him handling the Flash pretty good too. Honestly, just not Tom King.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I think it's ironic to hear people say that Barry is being written like Wally, or had his personality completely changed from his pre-Crisis incarceration. Part of the reason he was killed off was because his character became utterly and irrevocably boring. Wally was a much deeper, more exciting character especially once Mark Waid took over the book. And I say this as someone who likes Barry.

Having said all of this, I am going to echo the statement of a previous poster who suggested Grant Morrison. That almost sounds too perfect to be honest.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Slim Shady View Post
    I'd like to see Williamson make it to #100 personally.

After him, I don't really know. Maybe give Manapul another shot. I enjoyed his run and now he wouldn't have to deal with new52 stuff. Maybe Venditti. Apparently his GL stuff was good and I've heard positive things about his Hawkman. If he can do both of them good then I can see him handling the Flash pretty good too. Honestly, just not Tom King.
    Venditti did a run on The Flash already, and it was pretty terrible.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Venditti did a run on The Flash already, and it was pretty terrible.
    Well I totally missed that. Scratch him off the list then.

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Yeah, I really can't believe that Morrison hasn't written the Flash yet. Really, any version. I know he had that year-long run with Millar but I think the latter did quite a lot of the heavy lifting. Plus, it did feel a but like filler while Waid took a break. Awesome filler, to be sure, that really makes me want to see him fully take on the character(s) but still filler. I also recall reading that the Flash is Morrison's favourite superhero.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member

Morrison is already planning to do his big Barry take in "Multiversity, Too."

Also, the correct answer to me is Busiek. He's a master cape writer and The Flash is one of the franchises he basically hasn't touched despite stating he has ideas for it in the past. It'd also give him some DC work with Astro City concluding.
    Last edited by Dred; 02-19-2019 at 08:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    Morrison is already planning to do his big Barry take in "Multiversity, Too."

Also, the correct answer to me is Busiek. He's a master cape writer and The Flash is one of the franchises he basically hasn't touched despite stating he has ideas for it in the past. It'd also give him some DC work with Astro City concluding.
    I'd totally be down for Busiek .

Mighty Member

J. Michael Strazynski has worked on some of my favorite stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing him write The Flash. I just want to see someone take advantage of his scientific mind. Science is such a powerful thing. Barry should reflect that.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K