Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Default Who Should Write the Flash After Joshua Williamson?

Who should replace Williamson on writing duties on the Flash after his run ends?

Somebody who won't write Barry as Wally.

penetrator of things

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    That's simple to do. Just kill Barry again.
    hi my name is tako and i like to grow leeks
    @takoleeks

Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    Not something I really see happening in the immediate future though .

Fantastic Member

Mark Waid.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    This is why I can't read any Flash stuff since the reboot. They welded Wally into his personality, changed his origin, and then told us he's Barry. He has a new origin, personality and costume. How is that Barry Allen?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Agreed entirely with everyone here. Someone who might actually be able to write Barry as Barry. If no one can, they should just scrap his book and give the main title back to Wally.

Which is why Waid would actually be perfect. Too bad it will never, ever happen.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Yeah, Waid's a Marvel man nowadays.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Peter J. Tomasi would be perfect for a Wally West Flash book for numerous reasons.

1. He's great at handling legacy characters, which we saw with his portrayal of the various Robins during his Batman and Robin days.

2. Tomasi's comics consist of traditional, classic superhero action, writing stories you might have seen during the 90s, while also having a writing style that is just as slick, as let's say, Geoff Johns or Scott Snyder. A combination that would lead to a recipe for success with a Flash book, while not getting to entranced in the convoluted "Speed Force Lore" as Williamson has to an extent.

3. His comics often have a family dynamic to them that would be a brilliant segway into reintroducing Wally's children back into DC continuity.
    Last edited by Timothy Hunter; 02-19-2019 at 03:46 PM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    This is why I can't read any Flash stuff since the reboot. They welded Wally into his personality, changed his origin, and then told us he's Barry. He has a new origin, personality and costume. How is that Barry Allen?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilan Preskovsky View Post
    Agreed entirely with everyone here. Someone who might actually be able to write Barry as Barry. If no one can, they should just scrap his book and give the main title back to Wally.

Which is why Waid would actually be perfect. Too bad it will never, ever happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by tako View Post
    Stop trying to get the man killed. Sheesh. Haters.

How about Cary Bates for an old-school feel?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Wally 'Ginger' West fan
    Along one of the Birkeland Currents that traverse the Milky Way. I forget the exact cross streets.

I do remember liking Tomasi with Richard Grayson so would be willing to give him a try.

Agree that they need a writer who can clearly differentiate between the various speedsters.
    And get back Barry's friendship with Hal Jordon and not just Flash with Green Lantern. Or have they screwed up Hal as well?
    Parental care is way exhausting. Gained insight into what my parents went through when I was a baby. Not fun, but what ya gonna do? (Read comics, obviously.)

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Tomasi would be a great choice... but good luck getting him to give up his sweet Detective Comics gig!
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Always Rakzo

I find disappointing that whenever Barry shows a little personality people complaint that "He's being written like Wally".

To me, Williamson is doing one of the most competent pure superhero stories currently. He understands the classic aspects of the franchise and modernize them in very logical ways (which is something that not a lot of writers do well despite of their similar intentions, again, see Ben Percy's Green Arrow). Not only that but he also pays a lot of respect to the many different speedsters being either Barry, Wally, Bart and even Jay, I'm really anticipating what he will able to do with the rest once they reappear.

That being said, I wouldn't be against someone like Jeff Lemire taking over the title after Williamson since everything Lemire touches turns into gold.

And please, no more Mark Waid. His time passed long before his first run ended.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    Stop trying to get the man killed. Sheesh. Haters.

How about Cary Bates for an old-school feel?

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Meanwhile this is the same fan base that claims they have nothing Barry. But I’m going to be quiet haha.

As for whoever should takeover after Josh. Since no one really named any names. I’m going to go with either Tom Taylor or Bryan Hill. I’ll even love to have Simone. I like Josh but he’s clearly doesn’t like Barry too much. But at the same time I don’t think he’s written like Wally. That’s just a cliched and lazy response for everything dealing with Allen imo.
    Last edited by Raijin; 02-19-2019 at 04:16 PM.
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post

And please, no more Mark Waid. He's time passed long before his first run ended.
    I agree. Mark Waid is past his prime. His quality of writing has derailed after the conclusion of his Daredevil series.