Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buried Alien View Post
    With Silver/Bronze Age Barry, he was seldom a guy who overtly tried to be funny. During the Silver Age, though, the FLASH book often was funny anyway not because Barry himself was a cutup (he wasn't), but the stuff that happened around him was often funny as hell, and watching him react to it was the source of much of the humor.

One of the funniest Barry moments came early in the Silver Age when he tripped over one of Mirror Master's mirrors in his own apartment, knocked himself out, and missed another date with Iris.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Barry was basically a straight man to all the wacky stuff that happened around him. I've started to notice a trend: writers always try to add something extra to characters who fall into the 'straight man' archetype to make them more interesting. For example,Barry's mom got killed by Zoom and Tim got retooled into Batman-lite. I've also noticed that in most cases, these attempts to make the straight man more 'interesting' rarely work.

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Really sad to see how things turned out here. Barry is barely the legend we loved and respected during all these crazy years before he came back, Wally is ... well, everyone knows, Bart is persona non grata in a Flash book and there's also the poor traitement of "Wallace".

Every Flash fans is loosing in this situation. We shouldn't be arguing with each other and there shouldn't be anyone named "zealots" either.

Have a nice weekend guys. Let's hope 2019 will have a smiling Barry and a Flash family respected.

P. S : on The bright side, Jay is coming back

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    He did have little sense of humor. He rarely made jokes, rarely used levity at all, and was the dictionary definition of straight laced and straight forward. This isn't like, us having a difference of opinion. Barry factually did not joke around very much in his time as The Flash, and the majority of the times he did were puns. I've got nothing against puns, but that's not really his MO these days.
    He did make jokes, he did use levity when fighting villains and he did make puns (which are a form of a joke). I never said he was a constant joker, but Barry did have a sense of humour and he did make jokes. This is a fact.

This conversation started about Barry pre-resurrection. And that's what I am talking about.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

- Grant Morrison on Superman

Spectacular Member

hey, now barrys is the fun flash,

whilst wally is the deranged mass murdering flash.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Really sad to see how things turned out here. Barry is barely the legend we loved and respected during all these crazy years before he came back, Wally is ... well, everyone knows, Bart is persona non grata in a Flash book and there's also the poor traitement of "Wallace".

Every Flash fans is loosing in this situation. We shouldn't be arguing with each other and there shouldn't be anyone named "zealots" either.

Have a nice weekend guys. Let's hope 2019 will have a smiling Barry and a Flash family respected.

P. S : on The bright side, Jay is coming back
    This is all I care about now! But where did you read or hear this? There has been very little development on Jay Garrick since his glorified cameo.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadman322 View Post
    whilst wally is the deranged mass murdering flash.
    That's certainly one fan theory, but it hasn't been depicted in the comics. Wait until the story is over, or you might end up looking like the people who complained about Mark Waid bringing back Barry Allen as a villain.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Deku View Post
    He did make jokes, he did use levity when fighting villains and he did make puns (which are a form of a joke). I never said he was a constant joker, but Barry did have a sense of humour and he did make jokes. This is a fact.

This conversation started about Barry pre-resurrection. And that's what I am talking about.
    Barry's humor was more dry bordering on not being funny. I never found anything funny. Tone for his stories were totally different than what it is now. Which i find is more of more wally-esque. There are no facts here. It is all subjective. But you can't deny that the current barry is revamped version inspired/influenced by wally and his stories in many ways.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Barry's humor was more dry bordering on not being funny. I never found anything funny. Tone for his stories were totally different than what it is now. Which i find is more of more wally-esque. There are no facts here. It is all subjective. But you can't deny that the current barry is revamped version inspired/influenced by wally and his stories in many ways.
    Whether you find Barry funny or not is another matter. The writers at DC wrote Barry to be funny.

As FlashEarthOne rightly pointed out, Wally doesn’t have a monopoly on being funny. A modern interpretation of Barry is going to be changed and modernised and that includes increasing the jokes the character makes. And ironically, this probably would not have happened if Wally fans did not (wrongly) think Barry was boring. Prompting DC to change the character.
    Last edited by KC; 02-23-2019 at 09:18 AM.
    “Somewhere, in our darkest night, we made up the story of a man who will never let us down.”

Astonishing Member

The writers at DC wrote Barry to be funny.
    They expressly did not and all the people here who have read Barry's silver age run have no idea what you're talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by Dred View Post
    They expressly did not and all the people here who have read Barry's silver age run have no idea what you're talking about.
    They did make him funny. And this is coming from someone who has read Barry's Silver Age run.
    Last edited by KC; 02-23-2019 at 11:25 AM.

The Fastest Post Alive! Buried Alien's Avatar

I think to compare Barry's and Wally's senses of humor, you almost have to examine how American humor has evolved since the early 1960s.

Barry's humor is definitely a dryer, more "polite" humor...consistent with the era in which he first emerged: the 1950s and 1960s. It was Maxwell Smart/Adam West Batman-type humor.

By the time that Wally became the Flash, American humor had evolved...taken on a more cynical and, at times, more prurient flavor: it was a culture that had been through the rise of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE and movies such as ANIMAL HOUSE.

Buried Alien (The Fastest Post Alive!)
    Buried Alien - THE FASTEST POST ALIVE!

First CBR Appearance (Historical): November, 1996

First CBR Appearance (Modern): April, 2014

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jekyll View Post
    This is all I care about now! But where did you read or hear this? There has been very little development on Jay Garrick since his glorified cameo.
    Right here !

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D0CfKf6WsAI3LuK.jpg

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Whether you find Barry funny or not is another matter. The writers at DC wrote Barry to be funny.

As FlashEarthOne rightly pointed out, Wally doesn’t have a monopoly on being funny. A modern interpretation of Barry is going to be changed and modernised and that includes increasing the jokes the character makes. And ironically, this probably would not have happened if Wally fans did not (wrongly) think Barry was boring. Prompting DC to change the character.
    I'm a Wally fan and I've NEVER stated Barry was boring.
    What I've said from the get-go was that there was no need for DC to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    Readers lost SO much JUST to get Barry back - and it was completely unnecessary.

Who do I want to see write the Flash next??

How about someone who can give me the Flash Family back! Jay. Max. Johnny. Barry. Wally. Jesse. Bart - reinstate the Tornado Twins as parents to Jenni and Bart. Throw John Fox in there.

There's 3 Flashes? SO WHAT!? Each have distinctive personalities and while all speedsters, have slightly different skill sets.

There is just so much untapped story potential, I have never understood why TPTB mandated Barry or nothing.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I'm a Wally fan and I've NEVER stated Barry was boring.
    What I've said from the get-go was that there was no need for DC to throw the baby out with the bathwater.
    Readers lost SO much JUST to get Barry back - and it was completely unnecessary.
    Not all Wally fans did, but there was a vocal part of Wally's fan base that did. These fans made their bed with their incessant complaining, and now they have to lie in it.
    Last edited by KC; 02-23-2019 at 07:29 PM.

Astonishing Member

Not all Wally fans did, but there was a vocal part of Wally's fan base that did. These fans made their bed with their incessant complaining, and now they have to lie in it.
    If you think anything Wally fans have ever, ever said affected any decision DC made then you are intentionally deluding yourself.