Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by The Anti-Geek View Post
    J. Michael Strazynski has worked on some of my favorite stuff. I wouldn't mind seeing him write The Flash. I just want to see someone take advantage of his scientific mind. Science is such a powerful thing. Barry should reflect that.
    He was going to do a Flash: Earth One that never happened...

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He was going to do a Flash: Earth One that never happened...

That breaks my heart because i didn't even know about Earth One Flash title, let alone him suppose to be writing one. Why can't i (we) have nice things?
    Imagine being proud to have negative traits. I can’t relate.

DC: Justice League, The Flash, Justice League Dark, Superman, Action Comics, Green Arrow, Justice League Odyssey, The Terrifics, Teen Titans, Titans, Brimstone, Female Furies, Damage, Heroes In Crisis

Marvel: The Punisher, Cosmic Ghost Rider, Venom, X-23, Cloak and Dagger, Jessica Jones, Sentry

Indies: Unnatural, Jeepers Creepers, Project Superpowers, Black Hammer, Ninja-K

Quote Originally Posted by kingaliencracker View Post
    I think it's ironic to hear people say that Barry is being written like Wally, or had his personality completely changed from his pre-Crisis incarceration. Part of the reason he was killed off was because his character became utterly and irrevocably boring. Wally was a much deeper, more exciting character especially once Mark Waid took over the book. And I say this as someone who likes Barry.
    That order of events is backwards - characters think and do what their writers demand. If Barry or Wally were less multi-faceted - as both were in the 1960s - it's due to the writing, the expectations of the era, etc.

I guess my point - it's up to writers to define the characters for modern stories. The Flash of 1960 was what it was. The Barry of 2019 needs to be of 2019...not defined by 1960. Or Wally. Morrison's work is often the best example of taking the essence of a concept, and imbuing it with a modern sensibility. It's not an easy trick, though.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Y'know, Tom King and Mitch Gerads haven't announced what their next project together is yet...

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post
    That order of events is backwards - characters think and do what their writers demand. If Barry or Wally were less multi-faceted - as both were in the 1960s - it's due to the writing, the expectations of the era, etc.

I guess my point - it's up to writers to define the characters for modern stories. The Flash of 1960 was what it was. The Barry of 2019 needs to be of 2019...not defined by 1960. Or Wally. Morrison's work is often the best example of taking the essence of a concept, and imbuing it with a modern sensibility. It's not an easy trick, though.
    I don't disagree. But my point is that Wally happened to be given the mantle, and in turn was made a much more interesting character, to the point that they've not only had to completely change Barry's origin, motives, and personality, but often times write him to act like Wally.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Ellingham View Post

Barry had modern stories and interpretations that captured and preserved his core character before he came back to life. Which involved some of the best writing for the character, no less. That's not really a good excuse. The Brave and The Bold or The Life Story of The Flash shows who Barry is and could be with modern writing and sensibilities without literally taking everything Wally did away from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Y'know, Tom King and Mitch Gerads haven't announced what their next project together is yet...
    Probably Demon Knights, or something of that ilk, given King's recent comments and the goings on of HIC #5.
    Last edited by Dred; 02-19-2019 at 10:23 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

Gail Simone would be interesting.
    Kurt Busiek if he wanted the gig would kill it.
    Grant Morrison is another one
    And just for shits & giggles, Mark Millar!
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

At this point and It genuinely pains me to say it, I'd take Bendis on a Flash Book provided he can provide quality like with Young Justice
    Pull List:
    DC: Batman, Nightwing, Red Hood: Outlaw, Detective Comics, Superman, Action Comics, Young Justice, Legion of Superheroes, John Constantine: Hellblazer, Batman Beyond, Dark Nights: Death Metal
    MARVEL: Fantastic Four, Daredevil, The Immortal Hulk, Venom, Web of Venom, Dawn of X
    BOOM STUDIOS: Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Willow, Angel and Spike
    DARK HORSE: Bill and Ted are doomed.
    IMAGE: The Walking Dead: Deluxe

Wally West Aficionado Spider-Ham's Avatar

Don't care which writer is on The Flash. I just want DC to understand that Barry deserves/need to be happy. After 10 years of dead mother stories, now we're going for another 10 years with the dead nephew.

Let Barry have fun stories without death or sorrow or despair. Let him win.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Ham View Post
    Don't care which writer is on The Flash. I just want DC to understand that Barry deserves/need to be happy. After 10 years of dead mother stories, now we're going for another 10 years with the dead nephew.

Let Barry have fun stories without death or sorrow or despair. Let him win.
    THIS!!!!! Geez!!! One of the great things about Barry....at least original Barry, was that he received a gift of powers and decided to use them because it was the right thing to do.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Denirac View Post
    At this point and It genuinely pains me to say it, I'd take Bendis on a Flash Book provided he can provide quality like with Young Justice
    Slow your roll friend, we are only in two issues Now they were enjoyable issues, but only two issues!
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Always Rakzo

God NO! Not after how he wrote Barry in Superman.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Matt Fraction?

(Formerly ilash) Ilan Preskovsky's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rakzo View Post
    God NO! Not after how he wrote Barry in Superman.
    Yeah, Bendis would be perfect for a Wally book. Barry doesn't really fit his sensibilities as much.
    Check out my blog, Because Everyone Else Has One, for my regularly updated movie reviews.

Astonishing Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar

Bendis is a wild card, an enigma if you will. Sometimes he can produce great works even to this day, but a great deal of the time, he makes creative decisions like having the straight laced veteran Barry Allen say "Ka Ka Poo Poo". He could be terrific on the Flash, or he could be abysmal. Or both.