Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: X-Tra

BANNED

I'd rather UXM itself went back to focusing on obscure characters like it used to in the 70s & 80s.

I would say no to a series like this. I think this kind of project would have writers going through the motions and creating storylines and origins for characters without much forethought.

I think the X-Books would be better if they started universe building again, establishing different antagonist teams and perspectives and global locations (although no more Savage Land please). I think keeping the X-Men confined to a school with a billion stepford students all aiming to be X-Men (with most of them inevitably falling to the wayside) really narrows the scope of what the X-Men/mutantkind can be about.

Anole being a recurring cameo as part of Worthington Industries is a nice foot in that direction.

How long is not about mutants being hunted by SHIELD, the avengers, the purifiers or random groups full of bigots, i would love to read it.

BANNED

Savage Land is for lovers, ergo I love it. X-books needs to mine it more, not Avengers books.
    Avengers books scrap X-Men concepts ridiculously lately, it's nigh time for X-Men to reclaim what is theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    Savage Land is for lovers, ergo I love it. X-books needs to mine it more, not Avengers books.
    Avengers books scrap X-Men concepts ridiculously lately, it's nigh time for X-Men to reclaim what is theirs.
    I don't even like being reminded that Marvel capes belong to one big universe, so the above just bugs the hell out of me.

I'd love to see a book like this because it wouldn't be totally dissimilar to what Claremont did with the X-Men in the first place, but in a way that's possible in the current climate of comics (ie selling them as minor characters with their own title, not trying to sell a whole new team as a main title).

I just want mutants in a story that isn't beholden to all this other ****-- events, crossovers, and star-character drama I don't really care about. Mutants in a country that isn't America. Mutants that aren't aligned with either "side" of the current X-Men dichotomy, but just trying to do what they can for their own communities. Universe-building that isn't rehashing someone else's good ideas. If only.
    “You know how it is: as soon as you decide to forget something, your brain comes to the conclusion that it's the most fascinating thing in the world.” -- Jane Yolen, probably not talking about superhero comics

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SkaraBrae View Post
    I don't even like being reminded that Marvel capes belong to one big universe, so the above just bugs the hell out of me.

I'd love to see a book like this because it wouldn't be totally dissimilar to what Claremont did with the X-Men in the first place, but in a way that's possible in the current climate of comics (ie selling them as minor characters with their own title, not trying to sell a whole new team as a main title).

I just want mutants in a story that isn't beholden to all this other ****-- events, crossovers, and star-character drama I don't really care about. Mutants in a country that isn't America. Mutants that aren't aligned with either "side" of the current X-Men dichotomy, but just trying to do what they can for their own communities. Universe-building that isn't rehashing someone else's good ideas. If only.
    Sorry to remind you of it, but a wake up call to reality is needed nowadays.

I nod to everything you said, even though it isn't possible today. Idealistic (and non-USA-centric) views are crushed by corporate grinding machines. All it matters today is the profit.

Marvel would have my wallet in a strangle hold if they started to do this. It would help fill out the universe and make it feel more alive to give the characters left on the side of the road some page time.

Quote Originally Posted by vitamin View Post
    We should perform Morrison masturbation ritual to steer the course of corporate energy. All we need is a sigil.

#holdingontoadyinghope
    I don't think that's hope you're holding onto vitamin.
    Goldballs is love. Goldballs is life.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SkaraBrae View Post

That is what I liked so much about the series Nyx mutants not in the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Rochedalaix View Post
    That is what I liked so much about the series Nyx mutants not in the X-Men.
    Yes same here I loved NYX for not being a part of all the other BS! I wish there was a story about mutants in Madripoor. That is a place I would like to explore more thoroughly.

I always thought the 'X-Men Unlimited' series would have been perfect for this. One issue a month devoted to an X character or certain group of characters that may not necessarily get the spotlight as often as the headliners, or at the very least headliners could occasionally get a story centered fully on them for once. It's too bad the last series turned into a frequent Wolverine fest. It used to be a great avenue for cool one-shot stories.

Quote Originally Posted by ariwl1 View Post
    I always thought the 'X-Men Unlimited' series would have been perfect for this. One issue a month devoted to an X character or certain group of characters that may not necessarily get the spotlight as often as the headliners, or at the very least headliners could occasionally get a story centered fully on them for once. It's too bad the last series turned into a frequent Wolverine fest. It used to be a great avenue for cool one-shot stories.

You are right X-Men Unlimited would have been a perfect avenue to take!

I feel like if sales aren't where they think they should be then they bring in wolverine or if a book might not do as well as they think then they put his frickin name in the title and call it a day.
    Last edited by blinkingblah; 07-30-2014 at 10:16 AM.