Page 11 of 70 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161 ... LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by oasis1313 View Post
    Tim's new identity should be chosen by Bendis and for his exclusive use in Wonder Comics.
    This is the first thing I’ve ever 100% agreed with you on.

My choice for Tim would be for him to break the motif of birds.

Personally...my top three choices.

The Prince. (Play up Tim’s strategy/Machiavellian side)

Prophet.

Or simply,

Drake. Go for a dragon motif. Play up the Shiva/King Snake connection more.

Why don't we just call him messiah and have him star in that book about the 2nd coming I mean he was already Saviour [tomasi's sense of humour is just as wicked as King's]

Prophet and Prince are not good Superheroes names. Besides Jason Todd has already been name checked as the Prince of Gotham in canon and I think Dick has as well. In RSOB we found out Damian was a literal prince of a country his mum conquered for him so not feeling it for Tim But more Importantly it doesn't feel like a superhero name nor does it have anything to do with Tim.

I like Drake though. I was also fine with Red Robin.
    Last edited by dietrich; 02-25-2019 at 08:00 PM.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

Drake seems a bit to on the nose for it to work, don't you think?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Why don't we just call him messiah and have him star in that book about the 2nd coming I mean he was already Saviour [tomasi's sense of humour is just as wicked as King's]

Prophet and Prince are not good Superheroes names. Besides Jason Todd has already been name checked as the Prince of Gotham in canon and I think Dick has as well. In RSOB we found out Damian was a literal prince of a country his mum conquered for him so not feeling it for Tim But more Importantly it doesn't feel like a superhero name nor does it have anything to do with Tim.

I like Drake though. I was also fine with Red Robin.
    I’m referring to Prince in a different way though. It leans into to tactical/strategy aspect of Tim that is a core part of his character.

As for prophet I was thinking along the lines of Oracle.

Drake is a bit on the nose..but it just kinda works.

Fantastic Member

Honestly the direction I would take Tim is to make him the magic user of the Batfamily. It’s something unique and would distinguish him from the other Robins.

Quote Originally Posted by josai21 View Post
    Honestly the direction I would take Tim is to make him the magic user of the Batfamily. It’s something unique and would distinguish him from the other Robins.
    Odd direction, but then again, Bruce is friends with Zatanna, so i guest that she could be his teacher.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

I find the idea of magic user Tim interesting. TheCape is right that it's odd but odd could be good
    Bruce has relaxed his no metas rule so could be a thing

Fantastic Member

Zatanna, Blood, or Constantine could work.

Essentially, I’d have Tim be a latent homo magi who suddenly has to deal with magic....and initially sucks at it. Take it from there.

Names could be:

Batmage

The Red Wizard

Itd be odd but plays well to Tim’s intellect and character style.

Tim copying Duke would indeed but the ultimate irony.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Incredible Member CrazyOldHermit's Avatar

I don't get the hubbub.

As part of an effort to change the Batman status quo and restore some of that original Golden Age mystique to the character, Robin was sent off to college and was no longer Batman's partner.

Almost fifteen years later those changes are being reversed, and it's decided Batman should have a Boy Wonder as a partner again. Not wanting to yank Dick back into his old role they created a new Robin, Jason Todd, who was a near duplicate of Dick Grayson.

Jason Todd, for whatever reason, proves to be unpopular. His origin and personality are radically altered after Crisis but he remains unpopular with fans. As a result, Jason is killed off.

So the situation at this point is thus: Batman needs a Robin. The original Robin has become Nightwing and is a beloved hero in his own right. The first attempt to replace Dick is a poorly received clone.

DC's answer was to design the perfect Robin. Not only would the character have a much more nuanced introduction to the comics, but the opportunity would be taken to update the Robin character for modern sensibilities.

The result was Tim Drake, who was (by design) everything you could want in a Robin.

Damian Wayne was never intended to be a permanent Robin. He was created to be killed. Damian should not have been resurrected, that was a weak and cowardly move on DC's part.

I just don't see the need for a Robin that isn't Tim, when the only reason Tim exists is to have the modern Robin for the modern Batman. "Graduating" him to Red Robin and having him be "his own man" is stupid and pointless. It happened to Dick more or less by accident, and it happened to Jason Todd for reasons I just do not understand. The marketplace is crowded with sidekick graduates.
    Miller was right.

Times change. Everything you want in a modern Robin 20 year ago is different than what you want in a modern Robin today. Just like the same things they might have wanted in a Robin in the 40’s isn’t the same as today. Things get old, and modern sensibilities change. The perfect Robin idea became stale, making an imperfect Robin new and refreshing. Damian might not have been intended to be a permanent Robin, but because he was new and fresh, and appealing to the modern audience, he became more than what he was originally intended to be.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 02-27-2019 at 11:07 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    I don't get the hubbub.

As part of an effort to change the Batman status quo and restore some of that original Golden Age mystique to the character, Robin was sent off to college and was no longer Batman's partner.

Almost fifteen years later those changes are being reversed, and it's decided Batman should have a Boy Wonder as a partner again. Not wanting to yank Dick back into his old role they created a new Robin, Jason Todd, who was a near duplicate of Dick Grayson.

Jason Todd, for whatever reason, proves to be unpopular. His origin and personality are radically altered after Crisis but he remains unpopular with fans. As a result, Jason is killed off.

So the situation at this point is thus: Batman needs a Robin. The original Robin has become Nightwing and is a beloved hero in his own right. The first attempt to replace Dick is a poorly received clone.

DC's answer was to design the perfect Robin. Not only would the character have a much more nuanced introduction to the comics, but the opportunity would be taken to update the Robin character for modern sensibilities.

The result was Tim Drake, who was (by design) everything you could want in a Robin.

Damian Wayne was never intended to be a permanent Robin. He was created to be killed. Damian should not have been resurrected, that was a weak and cowardly move on DC's part.

I just don't see the need for a Robin that isn't Tim, when the only reason Tim exists is to have the modern Robin for the modern Batman. "Graduating" him to Red Robin and having him be "his own man" is stupid and pointless. It happened to Dick more or less by accident, and it happened to Jason Todd for reasons I just do not understand. The marketplace is crowded with sidekick graduates.
    The "only reason Tim exists is have the modern Robin for the modern Batman." Well, a BETTER character named Damian Wayne has come along and shown just what a crappy boring character Timmy Wimmy is. Damian wouldn't stay dead because he's far more popular and independent that Timmy, who would happily spend the rest of his itty bitty four-color life with an umbilical cord to Bruce attached at his itty bitty belly button. Since Wonder Comics is its own company, its own universe, its own Heaven On Earth for Tim fans where Timmy Wimmy will reign supreme, just send him there where he can be properly worshiped in peace. He can even bring along his itty bitty Bat-Placenta so that he won't have to far away from it. You want a "weak and cowardly" move from DC? Here's one: Not killing off Timmy Wimmy when it was OBVIOUS there was a superior character on the scene--Batman's own biological son. Timmy needs a new identity? Hmm, what to call something as "pointless and stupid" as Tim Dreck: ALBATROSS.
    Last edited by oasis1313; 02-26-2019 at 12:08 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Time change. Everything you want in a modern Robin 20 year ago is different than what you want in a modern Robin today. Just like the same things they might have wanted in a Robin in the 40’s isn’t the same as today. Things get old. The perfect Robin idea became stale, making an imperfect Robin new and refreshing. Damian might not have been intended to be a permanent Robin, but because he was new and fresh, and appealing to the modern audience, he became more than what he was originally intended to be.
    This is all nonsense and theres no evidence to back any of it up. Damian is a good character with a very simple and effective archtype. and thats why it stuck.

Fantastic Member

I find it hilarious that people call Tim a Gary-Stu but somehow think Damian isn’t. He’s literally the son of Batman, trained by assassination, and can fight on par with Slade by the time he is thirteen. Only a token effort is made to have him be responsible for his bratty attitude but he mostly gets away with it.

All Batman characters are garystu/Mary sues to some extent and the intensity of that varies depending on the author, but singling our Tim as somehow being the only one is stupid thinking.

I find it hilarious that people call Tim a Gary-Stu but somehow think Damian isn’t. He’s literally the son of Batman, trained by assassination, and can fight on par with Slade by the time he is thirteen. Only a token effort is made to have him be responsible for his bratty attitude but he mostly gets away with it.

All Batman characters are garystu/Mary sues to some extent and the intensity of that varies depending on the author, but singling our Tim as somehow being the only one is stupid thinking.
    Not sure what prompted the Gary Stu rant by I can see from the direction you are going that you don't know what a Gary Stu is.

Can we stop creating these What to do with Tim / What should we call Tim threads they just end up toxic