Page 53 of 70 FirstFirst ... 34349505152535455565763 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Dataweaver View Post
    It's worth noting that in the early 2000s (before Graduation Day killed his team, War Games killed his girlfriend, and Identity Crisis killed his dad), Tim confided to Dick that he always considered “Robin” to be a temporary thing, something he'd eventually move on from. He never specified what he intended to move on to; but the idea of always being Robin never appealed to him.
    I think he considered heroing to be a temporary phase in his life then.

I don't think Jason coming back in any way contributed the end of the idea of a Forever Robin. I think that idea died with Nightwing. If you read 1970s comics with Dick in college, it was definitely a thing in the letters pages - should he stay Robin or take a new identity (costumes also discussed). I would say that, via the New Teen Titans, in the early 1980s the decision had been made that Robin was a role that grew with Dick. He was regarded well as a hero and as an adult by numerous other heroes in that era. But then they wanted a Robin with Batman again, and so Dick transitioned to Nightwing. It was very couched in the language of outgrowing the role. I think that once that had happened, Robin could never be a "forever" role again. So the decision was made before Tim ever existed.

I don't see how Jason takes anything away from Tim. Jason could be Red Hood doing his own thing and Tim could've still been a forever Robin because he wanted to, he chose it. It's completely Damian who edged him out.
    Like I said, don't think forever Robin was ever in the cards - that ship sailed with Nightwing's creation to me. Certainly Damian did edge Tim out in the narrative (Dick took it away - a post-COIE Bruce-like action I hated and found repetitive). In a meta sense, it was absolutely taken away so that Damian could have the role. But the same is true of Robin being taken away from Dick - it was a shift that only happened because they wanted to bring in Jason as Robin. It was just a much more satisfying story (to me), because in-universe it was a progression instead of a loss. Then the post-COIE version made it a loss. Added angst and drama, but was the start of a dysfunctional Batfamily dynamic that I have grown to dislike more and more. But sells well, so DC doesn't care what I think.

Another thing about early Tim is that, in addition to not planning to make a lifetime work of Robin, he had a very unhealthy view of Batman and Robin. Firstly, with how he wanted Dick to give up his life and be Robin again But secondly, with Batman in general: he was the perfect, always-right, and if you were with him and did what he said, then you'd be fine ideal (once he had a Robin and got over the violence). Thing is, the second aspect of that was not treated as unhealthy at that time. Tim's entrance was a whole lot of dumping on Jason and victim-blaming of him. Later he knew Batman better and knew his flaws more clearly (though DC still loved their victim-blaming). His idea of Robin was tied up in that thought process - Robin was an extension of Batman. That's an attitude that could never work for a forever-role. Though, that's also one he grew out of fairly early - if nothing else, him having a solo series meant he had to.

But I think if Dick Grayson, the Robin, did not stay Robin forever because it was something he outgrew, then that in and of itself redefined the role as transitional. And it wasn't even a totally new idea then, as I've referenced old letters from the 1970s. And, of course, there were the even older imaginary stories where Bruce actually retired ( ::gasp:: ), and Dick became Batman and Bruce's son was Robin. So the idea of Robin remaining a "kid role" has definitely existed for a while.
    Last edited by Tzigone; 09-17-2019 at 06:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DevilBat66 View Post
    Why not just call him "Drake"?

It's a bird motif.

Nobody has used it before.

People kinda already call him that.
    Thought it sounded familiar. Pegged it in March.
    Batman - Daredevil

Damn! Nice call!
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

So.. He saw another version of himself and wanted the same be called DRAKE..

What do you think? DRAKE or SAVIOR?

We had another Tim from another universe here with that alias.

Quote Originally Posted by adrikito View Post
    So.. He saw another version of himself and wanted the same be called DRAKE..

What do you think? DRAKE or SAVIOR?

We had another Tim from another universe here with that alias.
    Definitely Drake out of those options

The menacing Mallard
    Reading List (Super behind but reading them nonetheless):
    DC: Currently figuring that out
    Marvel: Read above
    Image: Killadelphia, Nightmare Blog
    Other: The Antagonist, Something is Killing the Children, Avatar: TLAB
    Manga: My Hero Academia, MHA: Vigilanties, Soul Eater: the Perfect Edition, Berserk, Hunter X Hunter, Witch Hat Atelier, Kaiju No. 8

Nice call (10 chars)

Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    And, of course, there were the even older imaginary stories where Bruce actually retired ( ::gasp:: ), and Dick became Batman and Bruce's son was Robin. So the idea of Robin remaining a "kid role" has definitely existed for a while.
    There's actually a non-imaginary story where that happened, though Bruce was believed dead, not retired. Damian was first appointed as Robin by Dick as Batman.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Extraordinary Member

When will drake be added to his apprecaition thread

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I imagine it’ll get added once the name starts getting appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Rac7d* View Post
    When will drake be added to his apprecaition thread
    I don't think it's even confirmed and honestly I'm not convinced that's his new name. I mean why would Tim take the name of an evil version of himself?

On the Champions Online MMORPG, I've created a character who's a Darkwing Duck homage; his name is Tim the Drake.
    Rogue wears rouge.
    Angel knows all the angles.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I don't think it's even confirmed and honestly I'm not convinced that's his new name. I mean why would Tim take the name of an evil version of himself?
    Harvest was so much cooler

THE SIGNAL (Duke Thomas) is DC's secret shonen protagonist so I made him a fandom wiki

also, check out "The Signal Tape" a Duke Thomas fan project.

currently following:
    • DC: Red Hood: The Hill
    • Marvel: TBD
    • Manga (Shonen/Seinen): One Piece, My Hero, Dandadan, Jujutsu Kaisen, Kaiju No. 8, Reincarnation of The Veteran Soldier, Oblivion Rouge, ORDEAL, The Breaker: Eternal Force

"power does not corrupt, power always reveals."