Page 56 of 70 FirstFirst ... 64652535455565758596066 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Is Redwing taken as a name ?
    It's the name of Sam Wilson's pet bird. Not a DC character but I don't think it would be advisable for Tim to take it. Look at the Captain Marvel situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Is Redwing taken as a name ?
    It's the name of Sam Wilson's pet bird. Not a DC character but I don't think it would be advisable for Tim to take it. Look at the Captain Marvel situation.
    I think the situations are different enough, Marvel wouldn't pursue infringement, as they would likely lose, the name alone is arguably generic enough (if not a hyphen or separating the words would sufice), Marvel (as far as i know) has never had a published title called/branded/Tradmarked "Redwing" or "Red-Wing", the characters in appearance and subject are different enough, as one is a bird, the other human, nobody is easily confusing them as the same character, plus DC already freely used "Redwing" in a couple of product instances, which would sway heavily in court towards their fair use if Marvel did not persue it then:
    Had their own Redwing in Team Titans
    Some actual proof of Trade Mark use https://i.pinimg.com/originals/59/da...253dad49d9.jpg
    And in some widely released product/toy vehicle already associated with Tim Drake.

Redwing (Red Wing) was probably one of the better and most logical names suggested for him, maintains the bird iconography, makes reference to his more specifically red themed Robin look, he's already used red in his name, actually worn red wings as gear, and it nicely echoes Dick's transition from Robin to "____ Wing".
    As well as Jason's Red in which he catharticly becomes trapped in his "Red Hood" identity. The same Red for Tim becomes his freedom, in the form of Wings!
    Doesn't seem there are many clamoring for the return of Carrie Levine (let alone ever heard of her).
    Tim could easily appropriate the name.
    I guess it's to straight forward.

I guess they went in a different direction, and are channeling Drake: the DANGER DUCK!
    Theme, look, logo, color scheme, all meaningless, except it's his actual last name, the one thing you wouldn't use for a "secret" ID . LOL!
    Last edited by Güicho; 04-27-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Going from Robin to a new identity already echoes Dick's transition, calling it Redwing just flat out rips it off. Enough is enough with that kind of unoriginality. 4 Nightwings and a Batwing is already bad enough. Dick and Jason don't need Tim combining their personas.

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Going from Robin to a new identity already echoes Dick's transition, calling it Redwing just flat out rips it off. Enough is enough with that kind of unoriginality. 4 Nightwings and a Batwing is already bad enough. Dick and Jason don't need Tim combining their personas.
    Agreed. I'll admit Dick snagged a name from comic history, but it hadn't been used in a while and was a relatively minor thing. Tim needs something that is his own and doesn't immediately sound derived from others. Though if he uses "Red Robin" then "Drake" then "Red Wing" I think we'll all be justified in making fun of his lack of originality/creativity. There could be tons of jokes about him being bad at naming things. Those jokes would eventually get as old and tired as the "scaly panties" (a descriptor I loathe because it is both inaccurate and intentionally derisive) ones, but people would just keep making them.

Red Hood was also a shout out to something old with an emotional connection. What do we have for alternate names for others that were used long ago that Tim could glom onto?

Enough is enough with that kind of unoriginality. .... don't need ..."their personas".
    If that's how, and all you see in what I wrote.
    Good luck with your unique "persona" for him . LOL! He's a completley derivative character to begin with.
    The unique Tim Drake: The Danger Duck! scheme, and theme for him, is about to take off!
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-08-2019 at 02:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Güicho View Post
    If that's how, and all you see in what I wrote.
    Good luck with your unique "persona" for him . LOL! He's a completley derivative character to begin with.
    The unique Tim Drake: The Danger Duck! scheme, and theme for him, is about to take off!
    This why I am of the opinion they should drop the superhero personas with Tim entirely and have him get a detective license. Tim Drake PI. And while I don't particularly care for Drake, at least its not stepping on anyone else's toes.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 11-08-2019 at 04:37 PM.

I think the situations are different enough, Marvel wouldn't pursue infringement, as they would likely lose, the name alone is arguably generic enough (if not a hyphen or separating the words would sufice), Marvel (as far as i know) has never had a published title called/branded/Tradmarked "Redwing" or "Red-Wing", the characters in appearance and subject are different enough, as one is a bird, the other human, nobody is easily confusing them as the same character, plus DC already freely used "Redwing" in a couple of product instances, which would sway heavily in court towards their fair use if Marvel did not persue it then:
    Had their own Redwing in Team Titans
    Some actual proof of Trade Mark use https://i.pinimg.com/originals/59/da...253dad49d9.jpg
    And in some widely released product/toy vehicle already associated with Tim Drake.

Redwing (Red Wing) was probably one of the better and most logical names suggested for him, maintains the bird iconography, makes reference to his more specifically red themed Robin look, he's already used red in his name, actually worn red wings as gear, and it nicely echoes Dick's transition from Robin to "____ Wing".
    As well as Jason's Red in which he catharticly becomes trapped in his "Red Hood" identity. The same Red for Tim becomes his freedom, in the form of Wings!
    Doesn't seem there are many clamoring for the return of Carrie Levine (let alone ever heard of her).
    Tim could easily appropriate the name.
    I guess it's to straight forward.

I guess they went in a different direction, and are channeling Drake: the DANGER DUCK!
    Theme, look, logo, color scheme, all meaningless, except it's his actual last name, the one thing you wouldn't use. LOL!
    I do like Redwing... but wasn't that the name of his car?

Also... whatever happened to his car? I haven't seen that in years.

Redbird.

Also... whatever happened to his car? I haven't seen that in years.
    After Jack Drake lost his fortune (but was still very well off), Alfred-in-disguise bought it for a very nice price (Dana joked they should get Tim to handle the sale of the house). Not sure about after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tzigone View Post
    Redbird.

After Jack Drake lost his fortune (but was still very well off), Alfred-in-disguise bought it for a very nice price (Dana joked they should get Tim to handle the sale of the house). Not sure about after that.
    That's right... I remember thinking that was a pretty good sidekick name back in the day....

So that means that it's still sitting in the cave then? Unless it's been retconned out of existence.

That's right... I remember thinking that was a pretty good sidekick name back in the day....
    Damian has used the name.

So that means that it's still sitting in the cave then? Unless it's been retconned out of existence.
    Wiki says Tim got a new Redbird after he got adopted by Bruce, and cites a 2008 issue. Haven't read much from Bats of that era.

Extraordinary Member CPSparkles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post

I believe the car made an appearance in Rebirth Tec

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    ... plus DC already freely used "Redwing" in a couple of product instances... some widely released product/toy vehicle already associated with Tim Drake.

As others indicate Redbird was the car/cycle, unless you want to call ^that "REDWING" toy vehicle a car?
    Point of the image was in reply to the person saying the name REDWING is taken by Marvel who might own it exclusively.
    To show among other things, DC already has some proof of product using "REDWING" in association with Tim.
    I'm not saying they used it as his name there, I'm showing they used it on widely released product associated with him.
    Which (among others listed) would help counter Marvel's supposed exclusive claims to it. (if they wanted to call him that).
    They don't!
    _
    I'm sure distancing him from his roots and any visual and thematic connection to the Robin legacy will work great for him! LOL! Everyone should call him whatevertf they want.
    Marvel can make Night-Monkey a thing!
    If the Danger Duck thing doesn't work out, there is also Rodents, Primates, Amphibians, Fish, Insects, Plants, Elements, Colors, etc. as go to themes. Or drop it all for Tim Drake PI, worked great for the Agent of Spyral.
    Going from Robin to a new identity already echoes Dick's transition, calling it Redwing just flat out rips it off. Enough is enough with that kind of unoriginality....

...have him get a detective license. Tim Drake PI.
    ^LOL!
    Good luck with the character.
    Last edited by Güicho; 11-09-2019 at 09:45 AM.

Censorship Sucks

Why does he have to be a damn bird?

/edited out
    Last edited by Doctor Bifrost; 11-09-2019 at 12:08 AM.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

/edited out
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/