Page 62 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1252585960616263646566 ... LastLast

A good way to cement the Red Robin identity (if it is in need of it) could be to have him interact more with Red Arrow.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Hunter View Post
    As the majority of you know, Tim Drake has been reverted to the role of Robin once again. This is a tad awkward considering that...

1. Damian Wayne is Robin simultaneously.

And...

2. It was generally accepted that Drake moved on from the Robin moniker. Having him back in the role is like having adult Dick Grayson back in the role of the boy wonder, or having adult Wally West back in the role of Kid Flash. It's just a little odd.

So this is a thread to suggest a new name for Tim Drake!
    Personally, I would give him the "Flamebird" identity that was originally spotted by Betty Kane.
    It feels like Robin was too perfect and natural of a role for Tim. I don't think it's a coincidence that he still had 'Robin' in his name even after he 'abandoned' that mantle.

Under Tim, Robin got his own book and started to feel more independent from Batman. Tim also has Bruce's detective skills, which further helped establish Robin as a co-equal to Batman and not just his kid sidekick. So by the time it was Damian's turn, the name "Robin" wasn't a downgrade from Batman anymore the way it was when Dick was Robin.

Tim therefore "leaving the nest" doesn't have that same impact as when Dick left and feels more unnecessary. You can make an argument that it would have made more sense for Tim to take the Robin mantle with him, given what he turned it into.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 08-03-2021 at 10:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    It feels like Robin was too perfect and natural of a role for Tim. I don't think it's a coincidence that he still had 'Robin' in his name even after he 'abandoned' that mantle.

Under Tim, Robin got his own book and started to feel more independent from Batman. Tim also has Bruce's detective skills, which further helped establish Robin as a co-equal to Batman and not just his kid sidekick. So by the time it was Damian's turn, the name "Robin" wasn't a downgrade from Batman anymore the way it was when Dick was Robin.

Tim therefore "leaving the nest" doesn't have that same impact as when Dick left and feels more unnecessary. You can make an argument that it would have made more sense for Tim to take the Robin mantle with him, given what he turned it into.
    WTF are you talking about? Robin is a legacy mantle that belongs to Dick Grayson.

Everything that is Robin is what Dick made it.

the 1st Robin to have over 100 solo adventures - Dick Grayson

The 1st Robin to step away from Batman and forge his own team - Dick Grayson

The Robin who was called the 2nd greatest detective - Dick Grayson

the 1st Robin to have a series focus on his Detective skills - Dick Grayson [during his years at Hudson for example.

Tim didn't make Robin his own. he got a bo and carried on Dick's example as well as absorbing a bunch of traits that used to be exclusive to Dick.

Dick Grayson increased batman sales by 40% and in the golden age had more appearances than batman.

To say that Tim drake should take Robin with him just highlights how entitled and unaware some fans are.

Tim has been Robin, RR, Drake If he can't make those work [should be easy for a character that saved a 40+ yr old mantle from being a downgraded right?] then retire him or let him carry on as Damian's understudy.

Tim became Red Robin because Damian was introduced as a temp character and Tim needed an alias for his part in Bruce's return. Popularity lead to Damian becoming a mainstay and Tim became RR longterm and later Drake.

So it was mostly coincidence that Tim still had Robin in his name however it's becoming increasingly evident that Tim needs Robin to survive as a character and not the other way round.

If Tim can't make it with out the Robin Brand name carrying him then what should be done with the character?

Tim has being struggling for 10 years now [since his connection to the Robin mantle was compromised in the new 52]

Tim's alias is the least of his problems. He needs a role, a home and to sell books
    Last edited by dietrich; 08-03-2021 at 11:34 AM.

That may be, but I still say the idea of passing the title around ends with Damian.

Astonishing Member

Like the Tim Drake: Robin, Red Robin, Drake Appreciation 2021, this topic needs a new thread for 2021.

No it doesn't.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    WTF are you talking about? Robin is a legacy mantle that belongs to Dick Grayson.

Everything that is Robin is what Dick made it.

the 1st Robin to have over 100 solo adventures - Dick Grayson

The 1st Robin to step away from Batman and forge his own team - Dick Grayson

The Robin who was called the 2nd greatest detective - Dick Grayson

the 1st Robin to have a series focus on his Detective skills - Dick Grayson [during his years at Hudson for example.

Tim didn't make Robin his own. he got a bo and carried on Dick's example as well as absorbing a bunch of traits that used to be exclusive to Dick.

Dick Grayson increased batman sales by 40% and in the golden age had more appearances than batman.

To say that Tim drake should take Robin with him just highlights how entitled and unaware some fans are.

Tim has been Robin, RR, Drake If he can't make those work [should be easy for a character that saved a 40+ yr old mantle from being a downgraded right?] then retire him or let him carry on as Damian's understudy.

Tim became Red Robin because Damian was introduced as a temp character and Tim needed an alias for his part in Bruce's return. Popularity lead to Damian becoming a mainstay and Tim became RR longterm and later Drake.

So it was mostly coincidence that Tim still had Robin in his name however it's becoming increasingly evident that Tim needs Robin to survive as a character and not the other way round.

If Tim can't make it with out the Robin Brand name carrying him then what should be done with the character?

Tim has being struggling for 10 years now [since his connection to the Robin mantle was compromised in the new 52]

Tim's alias is the least of his problems. He needs a role, a home and to sell books
    If you're talking about iconography, yes Dick absolutely made Robin popular and iconic in the first place, especially with kids. But I don't think it's a stretch to say that Tim is who made Robin "cool".

-First Robin to actually get his own comic book series (admittedly this is partly due to good timing on Tim's part since he was conceived in the Modern Age of comics where it's easier for side characters to get a book, but it was still a milestone for Robin nonetheless).

-First Robin to be introduced as a detective and to be explicitly marketed as one. That last part especially is important and is what separates him from Dick. To this day, Bruce and Tim are still more marketed by their similarities while Bruce and Dick and more marketed by their differences.

-First Robin that actually gave the Robin role a purpose (i.e. A Lonely Place of Dying)

-First Robin to wear Robin's iconic Modern Age design, both the long green pants and the red-and-black suit.

All of those factors changed the way the Robin image started to be perceived under Tim, if not with the mainstream audience then at least among comic book fans.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    -First Robin to actually get his own comic book series (admittedly this is partly due to good timing on Tim's part since he was conceived in the Modern Age of comics where it's easier for side characters to get a book, but it was still a milestone for Robin nonetheless).
    Dick was the solo lead of Star Spangled Comics from issue #65 to #130.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nș8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

How about this as a question: if the Red Robin thing isn’t for you, what can be done to improve it besides just changing it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    How about this as a question: if the Red Robin thing isn’t for you, what can be done to improve it besides just changing it.
    There are two problems with Red Robin name/ suits. The first is that it's not creative. The second is that it doesn't really give Tim Drake a purpose. There are so many vigilantes in Gotham, the least one could do is make sure each one is a different archetype.

Nightwing is just as much of a superhero as Batman, but he goes one step further by being a festive character. Dick doesn't have to be secretive and closed off. Him being around the Teen Titans is essential for him because he can actually be a positive influence in the community. Unlike the Justice League, the Teen Titans have heavily tethered personal lives. They are all up in each others business. So basically, Nightwing is a community leader superhero vigilante.

Red Hood is obviously in the Green Hornet mold of being an anti hero that almost acts like a mob boss, only to further the agenda of taking down all crime. And he uses lethal force. He is Batman if he used guns and the Matches Malone identity went further (at least from what I read of Red Hood in the 2000s).

Who is Red Robin? Seems like he's just another superhero vigilante. That's where my pitch for Gaslight comes in. Both Red Hood and Nightwing hint at a certain side of Batman that they are connected to. Gaslight is all about the roots of the Batman persona and what he can't be anymore, which is a scary supernatural urban legend. The promise that Bruce made by candlelight when he was 8 years old.

Imagine if Tim could study magic well enough to recreate the powers of The Spectre with science and technology. We all know how criminals are scared of Batman, but can you imagine how terrified they would be if The Spectre appeared in a dark alley every night?

Tim has always been about using his brain and accessing an unfulfilled necessity. He became Robin because someone had to. Gaslight is all about him seeing something missing in Gotham and deciding to take charge.

Red Robin just doesn't offer any of this.
    Last edited by Alpha; 08-03-2021 at 05:36 PM.

I love Tim. I loved him being Robin or Red Robin or whatever. I just want Tim to stick around for a very long time. He is a very interesting character.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Just give him Blackbird if he cant be Robin or Red Robin

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Just give him Blackbird if he cant be Robin or Red Robin
    Blackbird is taken.

Unfortunately, a lot of good names are taken.

Quote Originally Posted by InfamousBG View Post
    I love Tim. I loved him being Robin or Red Robin or whatever. I just want Tim to stick around for a very long time. He is a very interesting character.
    Problem is, while he was a great character, when was he last portrayed that way?

Maybe in newer stuff I haven't read he had his moments to shine, but during the New52 and in the beginning of Rebirth he never seemed like the Tim I use to enjoy reading.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    Blackbird is taken.

Unfortunately, a lot of good names are taken.
    Is it active? I cant remember whose using it at the moment