Page 64 of 70 FirstFirst ... 1454606162636465666768 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But Dick was just a feature in Star Spangled Comics, and he didn't get that feature slot until a few years after the first issue of that title was published. He also shared that book with Robotman, Liberty Belle, Tomahawk, and others over Robin's run. (And Robin even lost the cover spotlight to Tomahawk starting with issue #96.)
    Tim had his own self-titled comic book that he didn't have to share with other features; Dick didn't have that distinction until well after he had given up the Robin identity and became Nightwing.
    Yeah, that was the structure of that book. He was still there from issue #65 until the end (#130), being a solo hero. And they put him there for a reason, he was a very popular and for a time had more appearences than Batman. Also, not being in the book since the beginning doesn't mean anything, Batman debuted, as everybody knows, in DC 27.

But yes, Tim was the first to have his own book.
    DC: Dick Grayson, Wally West, Donna Troy, Yara Flor, Titans

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    Yeah, that was the structure of that book. He was still there from issue #65 until the end (#130), being a solo hero. And they put him there for a reason, he was a very popular and for a time had more appearences than Batman...
    However, Robin lost the coveted lead feature spot starting with issue #101 and was moved further into the book (often closer to the end).

However, Robin lost the coveted lead feature spot starting with issue #101 and was moved further into the book (often closer to the end).
    Yeah, he was probably losing popularity or they were trying something new, after all comics were in decline in the early 50's.

But he was still popular enough to survive the change into the silver age with Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

Some of my favorite Mangas: One Piece, Slam Dunk, Fullmetal Alchemist, HunterXHunter, Vinland Saga, Monster, Berserk, Vagabond.
    Current reading: Jujutsu Kaisen, Chainsaw Man, Spy X Family, Kaiju Nº8, Blue Lock, Dandadan.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    It not being creative is nothing. Being creative has never been a prerequisite for a codename.
    As for giving a purpose, a codename doesn’t really do that either. Red Robin serves the purpose it’s intended for and that’s to separate Tim from Damian.
    First of all, I do think adding "red" after his former codename is very much to his detriment. It doesn't really feel like a proper evolution. Is Damian gonna become "Scarlet Robin" next?

But that's not even the major reason. As far as giving him a purpose, the name indicates the archetype. Red Robin shows he's just doing the same things he always did, which is also arrested development.

Damian should just stay Robin. As I’ve said before in this thread, there are plenty of heroes who just get a color added to their name. There’s nothing wrong with it as it’s long been established practice.

As for him doing the same things he’s always done, that’s vague. What fought crime as a vigilante? Red Robin is distinct enough from Robin because Tim has made it so.

I don't have a problem with the Red Robin codename. I think is better than Drake and at least differentiate him from Robin enough.
    Had the New 52 Teen Titans not being a total mess, i think he would kept the name.

Problem is, while he was a great character, when was he last portrayed that way?

Maybe in newer stuff I haven't read he had his moments to shine, but during the New52 and in the beginning of Rebirth he never seemed like the Tim I use to enjoy reading.
    Oh I agree with you. Didnt they even try to kill him at the end of New 52/Start of Rebirth?! I thought I remember something like that happening.
    "Life is too short so love the one you got cause you might get run over or you might get shot" - Sublime

Quote Originally Posted by Drako View Post
    I don't have a problem with the Red Robin codename. I think is better than Drake and at least differentiate him from Robin enough.
    I think we can all agree, anything is better than “Drake”.
    As an aside, though, your name is “Drako”. I would have assumed you liked the name “Drake”.

Red Robin is the worst codename since Arm Fall Off Boy.

BANNED

"Talon" was a missed opportunity...

Extraordinary Member

I still say Red Robin was completely, “unimpeachably” fine… provided he kept the cowled suit and his solo at the time.

The name being funky or “not enough” in no way impeded his continued success as a solo-starring character; people who find the name distracting because of the restaurant or because it’s just an adjective added to his old code name never seemed to abandon his book in enough numbers for it to matter, and enough fans and creators liked it for it to have staying power even after Scott Lobdell started “neutering” it.

And I really *do* think that Lobdell “neutered” the ID, and that even better writers like Tynion unintentionally followed him in that by repeating some of his mistakes.

The cowled suit creates a different enough profile and aesthetic that it plays like a genuine “evolution” unique to Tim’s Robin, in spite of the costume being made for Dick and then worn by Jason; neither Dick nor Jason’s “evolutions” featured a cowl, and it creates an immediate difference from the Robin costumes he wore previously.

The New 52 costume *and* the Rebirth costumes both made a mistake in removing it, since that inevitably lead to Tim’s look and persona flipping between being just a “palette swap” of Nightwing or a needlessly mis-named Robin; his winged suit and Drake suit were both basically just red-or-brown-colored Versions of Nightwing’s earlier and less interesting costumes from old and Titan runs that honestly doesn’t work without nostalgia behind it, while the ‘TEC costume begs the question why he even needs a new code name?

Though of course, the big thing is the loss of his solo and of any attempt to follow up on it. Kind of like Cassandra’s book getting cancelled way back when, it was done for ultimately pointless marketing delusions, as the New 52 tried to “fix what wasn’t broken” with him as a Titans-exclusive character. Tynion was right to move away from that, but then he wound up mostly just going back to Tim’s status quo pre-Batman RIP… which, while not bad, lacked both the energy and excellence of his first years with Dixon or as good as Nicieza and Yost’s runs with him.

…I still kind of feel like you could just launch a mini with the cowl and a mandate to try following in Nicieza’s last footsteps and be fine.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    I think we can all agree, anything is better than “Drake”.
    As an aside, though, your name is “Drako”. I would have assumed you liked the name “Drake”.
    I don't like Drake cause doesn't make any sense for him to be called that. He chose his name cause his evil self in a alternative reality and that evil self chose the name cause Ducks are mean.

I have no problem with the name Drake itself, i actually like some songs from the rapper.

Well wait a minute, if that's true then we should be talking about what to call his evil self in the alternate reality. He's the one who needs the new name.

Extraordinary Member

If you want a different bird, than “Rook” has far better connotations.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I personally still wish they had gone by the name Rook, but now they have given it to one of the former We Are Robin gang and made her a bit of a villain it seems. THAT was a missed opportunity and I think him having a name that plays to chess as well would be cool, but I cant really think of anything else that would fit him (certainly not Pawn, although at times certainly appropriate.) Red Robin is fine, dull, lacks imagination, but it's fine. There are times I wish they had gone with the idea from long ago to make him the new Blue Beetle, I think that would have been an excellent opportunity for the character.
    However that being said, is there another legacy name he could pick up? Doctor Midnight, appears to be off the table with Chapel coming back.
    Grey Ghost perhaps? It would play to Tim's golden age aesthetic as would Midnight (the old Golden Age Spirit rip-off, but too close to the Doctor one?) He could pick up the name Geist from the Bloodlines character that I dont think has returned since his death. Geist is german for ghost or spirit which could work for Tim. Have him come up with some camo tech or something perhaps?
    Another idea is Meridian. Although a female character from Primal Force who could teleport, the word means the highest point at it's most basic, which could apply to Tim's striving. Noir? Doesn't really fit Tim's character though.
    Of these thoughts I think since I can't have Rook, Grey Ghost or Geist could be good?