Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    I dunno. I can see an argument for either Jon or Conner to keep the Superboy name. But I can also see an argument for both changing it.

Jon has spent the last few years on his own, doing his own thing on his own terms, or whatever it is he's been up to. He might very well feel that he's aged beyond SuperBOY. Plus that line from Lobo about "you're a man when you decide you are" feels pretty telling. But at the same time he's Clark's son and the heir apparent to the Super-legacy. And if the Legion rumors are true it'd be stronger marketing to put a Superboy on that roster. Of course, SuperLAD works just as well within the context of the Legion and their naming practices.

Conner has always been a black sheep in the Super herd, and after being AWOL for so long he might feel that he too has grown beyond the Superboy name. But if Bendis is keeping the "doesnt grow older" plot device then it makes a lot of sense for Conner to keep Superboy as his moniker. Plus there's the larger media stuff out there, and while DC doesn't chase synergy like Marvel does they still like to line a few things up when they can.

I wouldn't be surprised if the YJ generation all went to new names. Bart is back as Impulse, Damian is well established and successful as Robin, and Jon's the new hotness as Superboy. Tim Drake had already left "Robin" partially behind him (not that Red Robin was a big step, or even a good name). And just like the NTT generation took up their own names, it'd be fitting for the YJ generation to do so as well. But if Bendis was going to change Tim from Robin, then why make him Robin again in the first place? And if Bart and Conner aren't going to keep Kid Flash and Superboy, why have Tim keep Robin?

I dunno. We'll see how it goes. I'm just happy the YJ kids are back, and while I'm still hesitant about Jon becoming a teenager, I'm interested in his "space prince" direction. Cosmic Superman is my jam and this is leaning really heavily into that sensibility, which pleases me.
    Wouldn't the black sheep of the Superman here be Cir El?

Kon93

Cir-El doesn't exist "right now" so she isnt.

I think all of you are right and wrong all at the same time,even Jamals idea could be switched up to have Jon take the Valor name when he goes into the future with the Legion, which 1 of them will be mon-el.

I think SB needs his "nightwing" graduation, and jon needs to fill the spaces present day superman can't fill, but have in past versions.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    Wouldn't the black sheep of the Superman here be Cir El?
    No. Because she's not a member of the Super family. She's a construct created by villains that lasted for one short run.

Power Girl is the blackest sheep of the family, but Conner's not too awfully far behind.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    No. Because she's not a member of the Super family. She's a construct created by villains that lasted for one short run.

Power Girl is the blackest sheep of the family, but Conner's not too awfully far behind.
    Frankly, I'm surprised that Power Girl hasn't received a serious push yet. Her backstory is convoluted but if DC ever bothered to simplify things and push her, she would become mainstream quickly.

I have my fingers crossed that the new name will be Guardian.
    Idea's Open Discussion And Growth. Silencing Idea's Confirms Them To Be True In The Minds Of Those Who Hold Them. The Attempt Of Eliminating Idea's Proves You To Be A Fool.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Scion or sentinel, that way he can keep the S. I know its probably not important to some, but I like that S shield on his chest

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    Can't trademark it. It's the name of a member of Alpha Flight over at Marvel.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I don’t know why they had to bring Connor back.

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Scion or sentinel, that way he can keep the S. I know its probably not important to some, but I like that S shield on his chest
    I like sentinel, but i’m Not sure who should get the name.

Kon93

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post

Because he is immensely popular for one,just look how they are using him all over the place. He opens stories in the SUPERverse that wouldn't be opened otherwise. He is connected to pretty much ever teen team in the DCU. He is a cool guy

Quote Originally Posted by protege View Post
    I'm the opposite, I don't know why they had to take him away in the first place. Damian didn't need Tim to be temporarily outright written out of continuity to take over as Robin, so doing that for Jon never made sense, and I'll never buy that anything about the New 52 Superboy was so toxic that it necessitated a break instead of just immediately restoring the old continuity/origin like they did with so many other characters. None of it has ever made a lick of sense. But I'm glad its over.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    But he may not even want a private life that includes a secret identity for himself. While he remains a very good and moral person who maintains a sense of humor and responsibility just as he did when he was 10, we don't know where his sensibilities who fall when it comes to secret identities.

There are also dozen of examples of superhero characters who do not maintain a secret identity, yet are well fine. Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Franklin Richards, Val Richards, the whole Fantastic Four, and Luke Cage and Jessica Jones' daughter daughter (Danielle) will grow up as simply as Danielle Cage aka Luke and Jessica's daughter.
    Actually, jon seem to love and like his personal life in school.. Etc. He was pretty much wearing the glasses and was very much a comfortable person . He loved going to school.
    He was a goody two shoes, geeky and a nerd. Reading comics and mangas is one of his things. He didn't have an act like Clark though. He was just genuinely interested in things.
    But, after the space travel. I could see him letting secret identity go. His attitude might even be like wonder woman is in the animated movies towards it.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'm the opposite, I don't know why they had to take him away in the first place. Damian didn't need Tim to be temporarily outright written out of continuity to take over as Robin, so doing that for Jon never made sense, and I'll never buy that anything about the New 52 Superboy was so toxic that it necessitated a break instead of just immediately restoring the old continuity/origin like they did with so many other characters. None of it has ever made a lick of sense. But I'm glad its over.
    New52 superboy sucked though. I couldn't get into him no matter what. And I tend to get into superboys wether it be clark, jon or conner pretty easily.

Kon93

New 52 superboy just needed to keep the lex as donor and creator that was looking to be a thing, until the swerve we got.
    Also changed the handwaving TK for tactile TK, which we could have had when he was stuck in supermans armor
    His outlook on life and personality had moments where we could almost believe he could get that old SB feel back, but they wanted a Match like guy, so we lost that also.
    There was plenty of times we could have gotten back to a new 52 Kon that was what the fans wanted, but they didn't want it, so they moved on with their son of Superman idea, 1st older with JLK, then younger with JSK, now back to older with space heir.

I’ve always maintained that Jon should have been renamed Kid Superman.
    Pull List: Currently Empty