Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    I think those are probably the types of things he's talking about. How all that came out of the blue and in the span of like 4 issues. He's going to make the changes he wants to make, but he's going to go about it with a little more respect for the characters and the fans that liked things the old way. I guess I see that a little in the changes to Jon. He's acknowledged that a lot of people aren't crazy about it but he's coming at it in a way he thinks is respectful of Jon by not changing his personality or character (meaning he's still the same good kid and not Superboy Prime) and telling a Superman story. Your mileage will definitely vary on that I suppose. I don't have a great attachment to Jon, but I can definitely understand the frustration and worry. Similarly, he's said numerous times that he has no intention of breaking up Clark and Lois. But that doesn't preclude a public breakdown of Clark Kent and Lois Lane's marriage, because they'd technically still be together and in love just through a different facet of the Clark/Superman facade.
    He might not think that he is changing something fundamental about the character. But he is.10 year old A kid and 18 year old guy views the world differently. Jon had a sense of wonder, naivety and Admiration from that feeling. One of the best moments for Jon was when he found out his dad was "The superman" his reaction to it.

A kid could say he would marry popcorn and think girls are yucky.. Etc get away with it.17 year old guy cannot. You can't just paste a personality and attitude of 10 year old onto a 17 year old dude write the character similar to previous writers. And Think it is some great writing . He hasn't done anything cool with the character, that is my problem.

his only addition seems to be "pa" thing, which is unoriginal. Jurgens made base for the character. Tomasi gave his adventures an aesthetic, some support cast and tone which was cool. Bendis is not doing something that can adds on to character. He seems to be replacing/reinventing the character without going into in depth planning on what the new jon character should be. So, he just writes him as Jurgens wrote him which is playing it safe and he fails at that too. It is not working(atleast for me) and falling flat because of this approach. Respecting the character is one thing making him generic is another.Jurgen nor tomasi ever did that. Jon holding Superman's cape and levitating/trying is one of the coolest Jon moments. It came from Jurgens. Alien sounds he makes, without any context and meaning is annoying. Atleast give that some context that has some heart to it(something like the new broly backstory with green alien could work wonders) . It feels like he has hiccups or something right now. I just want something cool and heart touching from the character. Not some shitty poop joke.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-25-2019 at 12:38 AM.