Page 17 of 19 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819 LastLast
    THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Tim's new identity might be a joke.....

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...13756785397760

Bendis: "confirmed! #youngjustice 7. new design by @johntimmsart new Tim Drake alias 'conceived' by Bart Allen. #hmmm"

_________

It seriously might just be that the team's on a different world and they need to go undercover to blend in, so they have disguise, and Bart makes a running joke about Tim's look by giving him a new name.

I wouldn't count this possibility out yet. Solicits are known to be cheeky as many have reminded me.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Tim's new identity might be a joke.....

https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...13756785397760

Bendis: "confirmed! #youngjustice 7. new design by @johntimmsart new Tim Drake alias 'conceived' by Bart Allen. #hmmm"

_________

It seriously might just be that the team's on a different world and they need to go undercover to blend in, so they have disguise, and Bart makes a running joke about Tim's look by giving him a new name.

I wouldn't count this possibility out yet. Solicits are known to be cheeky as many have reminded me.

I think Bendis in this twitter is confirming Tim has a new identity and costume.

Bendis was answering this question:

Since Tim is getting a new alias, is it safe to assume that he’s getting a new costume as well? @BRIANMBENDIS

Maybe the new identity is idea of Bart, but it's likely his new permanent identity.

In fact, I have doubts about the solicitations before this twitter. Now, I'm pretty sure Tim is changing his identity.

PS: Bendis even promote the design by John Timm in this twitter.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-14-2019 at 09:51 AM.

Feels like Tim Drake's new Identity has been a joke for a few years now with recent revelations pointing to intentional in-story gag's by writers like Tomasi and now Bendis is getting in on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Bendis was answering this question
    I know he was (I linked the tweet after all), but I think his "new identity" may be a tongue in cheek jab at his "this is totally his new identity from now on" history nearly every time he sees regular publication.

PS: Bendis even promote the design by John Timm in this twitter.
    Well of course he is. John Timms is drawing the issue that this possible gag is in.
    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Feels like Tim Drake's new Identity has been a joke for a few years now with recent revelations pointing to intentional in-story gag's by writers like Tomasi and now Bendis is getting in on it.
    Yeah, this is what I'm starting to think. I'm leaning more towards this specifically because Bart is apparently the one who comes up with it. Bart functioning as a character who can take shots at characters' publication histories that are just shy of forth wall breaking. There's even a facetious nature to that section of the solicit itself.

I'm totally now back on my Tim and Conner are staying Superboy and Robin train.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Well of course he is. John Timms is drawing the issue that this possible gag is in.
    The point is you don't promote a new design for a costume in that way if it's just a joke costume.

Yeah, this is what I'm starting to think. I'm leaning more towards this specifically because Bart is apparently the one who comes up with it. Bart functioning as a character who can take shots at characters' publication histories that are just shy of forth wall breaking. There's even a facetious nature to that section of the solicit itself.
    I think dietrich means the change of identity will be a in-story gag, but it doesn't mean the change won't be permanent.

I'm totally now back on my Tim and Conner are staying Superboy and Robin train.
    Of course, I still think Tim and Conner will change identities.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-14-2019 at 12:04 PM.

Since seeing the solicits I now feel like Tim will be the one changing his name.
    What I meant and what i don't understand is why make him Robin for a 6 issues then change it back? That is what I meant about Bendis getting in on it.

Tim Drake is my least favourite Robin but I feel the character has contributed too much to be reduced to a character who the most interesting thing/debate about him in the last few years has been about what id he will take.

Honestly I don't care anymore. Now with Bendis taking shots at Damian the whole thing is turning into a bad joke.
    Last edited by dietrich; 04-14-2019 at 12:55 PM.

The point is you don't promote a new design for a costume in that way if it's just a joke costume.
    I hesitate to call this "promoting" in any official sense. Even the solicit possibly airing on the side of a gag gives me pause. We've had other solicits in the past remark on or hype up a character's change in identity or something only to find out that it was a one-off instance or a gag. Hell, even actual covers have done this.

An appropriate example being Wingman and Redbird from issue 4 of Batman Inc.

Solicit says "WINGMAN and REDBIRD descent upon GOTHAM CITY! Who are these heroes, and what is their relationship to THE DARK KNIGHT?"

And this is the cover

It says they're the new dynamic duo, but they only ever work together once in this issue for just one moment, and Bruce only suggest they be a team, but both go back to being Red Hood and Robin.

I think this has every chance of being a knowing gag about how DC can't seem to settle on a name for Tim (Robin, Batman (Beyond), Batman (grown up Tim), Red Robin, Savior (grown up Tim), and now Robin again), and the idea will be to finally make him Robin for keeps. I genuinely think it's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by L.R Johansson View Post
    If we're talking about Conner, then we had a fairly long discussion about this two or so years back - I myself am fairly partial to the name I myself came up with: SUPERNOVA!

It would still make it clear that Conner is a part of the super-family, and it would also harken back to his first comics, where he was in a "look at me!" -mode, of wanting to be a recognizable star. (superstars like movie-stars are sometimes called supernova's, if they are especially famous for the moment)

Plus, it also has the symmetry of being one of those previously unused old, forgotten identities of another hero! Like Nightwing was used before Dick Grayson took the mantle, so was Supernova a code-name that Superman used in a one-off story (later also used by Booster Gold in modern times).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova_(comics)
    What the hell? Marvel has a villain called that.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova_(Marvel_Comics)
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Astonishing Member

I hesitate to call this "promoting" in any official sense. Even the solicit possibly airing on the side of a gag gives me pause. We've had other solicits in the past remark on or hype up a character's change in identity or something only to find out that it was a one-off instance or a gag. Hell, even actual covers have done this.

An appropriate example being Wingman and Redbird from issue 4 of Batman Inc.

Solicit says "WINGMAN and REDBIRD descent upon GOTHAM CITY! Who are these heroes, and what is their relationship to THE DARK KNIGHT?"

And this is the cover

It says they're the new dynamic duo, but they only ever work together once in this issue for just one moment, and Bruce only suggest they be a team, but both go back to being Red Hood and Robin.

I think this has every chance of being a knowing gag about how DC can't seem to settle on a name for Tim (Robin, Batman (Beyond), Batman (grown up Tim), Red Robin, Savior (grown up Tim), and now Robin again), and the idea will be to finally make him Robin for keeps. I genuinely think it's a joke.
    I wasn't speaking about the solicitations. I have doubts about this before the twitter.

I'm speaking about Bendis writting "confirmed! #youngjustice 7. new design by @johntimmsart" in his twitter (this seems to be a promotion). Bendis seems serious about the change of costume.

Honestly, I don't see why "new Tim Drake alias 'conceived' by Bart Allen. #hmmm" can make all this a joke.

PS: Maybe someone should ask this directly to Bendis. The change of identity for Tim doesn't seem a secret anymore.

I wasn't speaking about the solicitations. I have doubts about this before the twitter.
    Sure, but the tweet builds off the solicitations, so we are speaking about them. I don't take it as more than a repeating of the solicitation right now.

PS: Maybe someone should ask this directly to Bendis. The change of identity for Tim doesn't seem a secret anymore.
    Bendis has zero reason to give a straight answer in regards to if this is something that is intended to be more than a joke, so there's not much point.
    Last edited by Superlad93; 04-14-2019 at 03:42 PM.

Kon93

I know we are talking a lot about Tim changing names here,but just seeing SB in every panel of every issue and every bit of the cover and internal art we get screams he is older than everyone else and yes ready for a new name.

So Bart is the one who came up with the Young Justice name in the first place (through a comical misunderstanding, but still) and now he gets to name Tim?

Not the kid I would've gone to in either case, yet oddly appropriate.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Conner is the only Superboy for me.

Astonishing Member

I return this topic, because I think the practically confirmed fact that Jon will join the Legion, it makes extremely likely Jon will mantain the name of Superboy.

I think a comic called "Superboy and the Legion of Super-Heroes" is pretty possible. Although even if this isn't the name, a Superboy in the Legion seems the perfect reference for previous incarnations.

Also, we have an image of the new suit (which should exist with new identity) for Tim Drake:
    https://scontent-lga3-1.cdninstagram...ninstagram.com

Lol I was looking for this thread the other day because it's totally, yeah, it's all but confirmed now that Jon and Damian are holding onto Superboy and Robin as their birthrights. I mean, this just straight up confirms it, I feel.

I thought Tim's identity was going to be a gag based on how the solicit was written, but, nah, it's totally legit. I just wonder what Bendis wants to call Conner now? I mean, Tim is less hard because he's changed his name before, but this will be a first for Conner. I wonder if Conner will change his costume same as Tim?

Or maybe it may just be as simple Conner keeping the Superboy name because Jon will mostly going back and forth from the present and future like the classic Superboy? Or maybe he'll be Guardian like we all assumed?
    Last edited by Superlad93; 07-08-2019 at 10:29 PM.