Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Thus, I think he'll function closer to the likes of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, or the Fantastic Four (this includes Franklin Richards, a similar young hero just back from years in space) where everyone will know who they are, and they'll function just fine.
    Won't it be a first for a DC hero ?

I can't think of anyone with no secret identity and still heroing, while it's more common at Marvel.

Kon93

So Lois will be in more danger than she usually is? How? In issue 1002 of Action Comics it's firmly established that no one says the name "Lois Lane" because it's an open secret that she's very close with Superman. All this would do is confirm that and change nothing, but the idea that TWO astonishingly powerful men with super hearing are always vigilant for her well-being. If anything, it's a "back the hell off" sign in neon lights.

Same would logically go for Clark given he's the boy's father. They'd have to add the name "Clark Kent" to the do not say list.

I think knowing Lois and superman are close and Clark Kent being a sitting duck is 2 different things.

Not saying this won't happen, we are talking about bendis here, but I bet we will have another "death of Clark Kent" storyline after this.

Quote Originally Posted by Korath View Post

I can't think of anyone with no secret identity and still heroing, while it's more common at Marvel.
    Donna Troy.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Vixen has a superhero name but no secret identity, she's famous and people know she's a superhero.

Zatanna is a magic performer aka a magician and she does superheroics.

So Lois will be in more danger than she usually is? How? In issue 1002 of Action Comics it's firmly established that no one says the name "Lois Lane" because it's an open secret that she's very close with Superman. All this would do is confirm that and change nothing, but the idea that TWO astonishingly powerful men with super hearing are always vigilant for her well-being. If anything, it's a "back the hell off" sign in neon lights.

Same would logically go for Clark given he's the boy's father. They'd have to add the name "Clark Kent" to the do not say list.
    You'd think by now most super villains and especially run of the mill criminals would just give up as soon as they realized their plot somehow brought Lois Lane into the mix even tangentially. Forget about targeting her.

Rucka actually played up the angle of Lois being generally considered Superman's girlfriend a bit more than I realized. There's a few scenes in his run where people mention it. And your theory remains my hoped for outcome to all this.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

He'll 100% be the most prominent hero to do it. At DC we simply don't see characters in a similar position of fame as the son of Superman go the FF/Luke Cage/Tony Stark way. As others have pointed out, DC has a few characters that do it, but none of them are as famous in and out of the universe (Cyborg maybe being the closest), so in that sense it'll be fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    You'd think by now most super villains and especially run of the mill criminals would just give up as soon as they realized their plot somehow brought Lois Lane into the mix even tangentially. Forget about targeting her.

Rucka actually played up the angle of Lois being generally considered Superman's girlfriend a bit more than I realized. There's a few scenes in his run where people mention it. And your theory remains my hoped for outcome to all this.
    Yeah, I agree. And that seems to be where Bendis is heading with it too. I mean, you'd have to be legitimately foolish to attack Lois Lane when she has two flying, wildly powerful, and virtually omniscient super beings.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Zatanna, Diana, Donna, Vixen, Bizarro, Artemis...

Kon93

He'll 100% be the most prominent hero to do it. At DC we simply don't see characters in a similar position of fame as the son of Superman go the FF/Luke Cage/Tony Stark way. As others have pointed out, DC has a few characters that do it, but none of them are as famous in and out of the universe (Cyborg maybe being the closest), so in that sense it'll be fascinating.

Yeah, I agree. And that seems to be where Bendis is heading with it too. I mean, you'd have to be legitimately foolish to attack Lois Lane when she has two flying, wildly powerful, and virtually omniscient super beings.

Legitimately foolish describes a lot of criminals though,good luck with that

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    Legitimately foolish describes a lot of criminals though,good luck with that
    I'm certainly not saying it's an impossible story to tell if a writer wanted to tell it. But, I am saying that most other less powerful and less known heroes and their significant and children others seem to be more than fine with situations like this.

I mean, Luke Cage's daughter goes to public school, and they take her to the park and such with no issue. Franklin Richards went to public school. I mean, you'd think that any villian would go and try and abduct these kids regularly, especially when they're away from their powerful parents, right? But they don't because they know they'll have to deal with the full might of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Misty Knight, Iron Fist, and possibly even the freakin Avengers if they so much as look at little Danielle wrong. The situation is even worse with Franklin because his family regularly tells a space goes to go the hell home, and take their crap with them. And to be clear, he'd go to public school even while he had no godlike powers.

And Bendis already established--within the first few pages of Man of Steel--that that even the most dimwitted and lowly criminals like Firefly and Killermoth know the rules when they get into Superman's city. They knew the "no-no words" same as the mob.

But again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Lois or Clark to get attack on the street, but I am say that this doesn't have to be them looking over their shoulder everyday. Not by any stretch of the imagination.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Kon93

I'm certainly not saying it's an impossible story to tell if a writer wanted to tell it. But, I am saying that most other less powerful and less known heroes and their significant and children others seem to be more than fine with situations like this.

I mean, Luke Cage's daughter goes to public school, and they take her to the park and such with no issue. Franklin Richards went to public school. I mean, you'd think that any villian would go and try and abduct these kids regularly, especially when they're away from their powerful parents, right? But they don't because they know they'll have to deal with the full might of Luke Cage, Jessica Jones, Misty Knight, Iron Fist, and possibly even the freakin Avengers if they so much as look at little Danielle wrong. The situation is even worse with Franklin because his family regularly tells a space goes to go the hell home, and take their crap with them. And to be clear, he'd go to public school even while he had no godlike powers.

And Bendis already established--within the first few pages of Man of Steel--that that even the most dimwitted and lowly criminals like Firefly and Killermoth know the rules when they get into Superman's city. They knew the "no-no words" same as the mob.

But again, I'm not saying it's impossible for Lois or Clark to get attack on the street, but I am say that this doesn't have to be them looking over their shoulder everyday. Not by any stretch of the imagination.

I think the cage and Jones dynamic is very much fantasy. Just look at how celebrities can't go anywhere without a mob following them, now put that (heroes are celebrities), and add all the villains who want to get to superman or make a name for themselves. It's just not believable in the real world....at all. Comics though...... A guy wears glasses and passes as a regular guy, so it could work

Quote Originally Posted by Kon93 View Post
    I think the cage and Jones dynamic is very much fantasy. Comics though...... A guy wears glasses and passes as a regular guy, so it could work
    Well, yeah, I agree. I think that's the long and short of it.

There's an internal logic at play in comics. It doesn't have to follow the real world's rules too closely if that's not their aim, but it does have to remain fairly consistent within itself.

Bendis has set the internal logic up: everyone is well aware of Lois and Superman being close, so bad guys don't say her name the same way they don't say kryptonite. So with that internal logic set, he's got room to go full on Cage/Jones/FF while still leaving room open for some crazy guy trying to take a shot at Lois and Clark even though there are now two demi-gods with super hearing looking out for them.

This will set up so many issues moving forward. How can Lois keep her job? How can she and Clark avoid the constant media attention? Let's face it, you are going to have one person who didn't get the memo and still make an attempt on Clark, Lois, and anyone close to them? The Fantastic Four are superheroes 24/7 but Clark and Lois have day jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by 13th Superman View Post
    How can Lois keep her job?
    She kept her job just fine when she was basically openly dating Superman aka the worst kept secret in the DCU.

How can she and Clark avoid the constant media attention?
    I'm pretty sure this is part of the point. I mean Lois is already pretty famous in her own right, and Bendis has already been giving both of them gossip attention and headlines chronicling what the gen population thought theeir relationship was up to.

Let's face it, you are going to have one person who didn't get the memo and still make an attempt on Clark, Lois, and anyone close to them?
    I'd say this is a given. But it was also a given before too. Once in a blue moon some dumb mook would get the bright idea to kidnap Lois, then they'd see why it doesn't happen often. I think it'd be really funny if another villain actually ended up playing hero and stopping the kidnapping because they didn't want that kind of heat lol

Like Bendis said in his Den of Geek interview, it's a new status quo, so that inherently means change on some level. I'm seeing Jon maintaining a secret identity less and less likely, and the Kents obviously can't keep telling people that Jon's away for the summer especially when Lois is around again. Plus there's the small matter of the distinguishing scar on his face that I think was in part placed there by Bendis to more facilitate Jon moving away from a secret identity. Still all speculation on my part, so I'm waiting on it like everyone else.

She kept her job just fine when she was basically openly dating Superman aka the worst kept secret in the DCU.
    I don't know whether it's the worst kept secret in the DCU so much as something I think for the most part was just a relationship people probably saw a lot of context for with how close Lois and Superman generally are, and Lois doesn't try and hide her positive feelings and admiration for Superman, but I think Lois was far more open in regards to her relationship with Clark.
    I'm pretty sure this is part of the point. I mean Lois is already pretty famous in her own right, and Bendis has already been giving both of them gossip attention and headlines chronicling what the gen population thought theeir relationship was up to.
    Personally I prefer Lois being more publicly famous for being a Pullitzer Prize winning journalist then the mother of a Superhero.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    but I think Lois was far more open in regards to her relationship with Clark.
    Well, yeah. She married him. But that didn't stop most people from correctly guessing that Lois and Superman had a romantic thing going on at some point in their history.

Personally I prefer Lois being more publicly famous for being a Pullitzer Prize winning journalist then the mother of a Superhero.
    Well, she'd technically be both. She was already shown to be famous for being a great journalist. I think Ruka and Bendis will work both angles, and I don't see anything wrong with that especially when she's gonna have a constant outlet for her voice in the form of an ongoing book.

She's also kind of publicly known for being Sam Lane's daughter.