Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HeroVladimir93 View Post
    Look, just because Superman is a title that can be passed on and inherited, doesn't mean it should. Marvel epically screwed up in their attempts to democratize the names of their A-listers, and I don't want the exact same thing to happen to DC. I can accept the Flash as a shared title because that's exactly what the Flash has become since the Crisis on Infinite Earths. Superman is a completely different story, however. Reign of the Supermen made it clear that Clark was the one and true Superman, everyone else was just gonna pale in comparison. And at the risk of angering some people, Jon and Conner are merely supporting characters in Clark's story. I understand there is a need to develop the supporting cast so that they don't feel like cardboard cut-outs, but you do not diminish or bring the protagonist down several pegs to make that happen.
    Incorrect, Jon and Conner can be called spin of characters. The legacy concept started with crisis on infinite earths. But, changing of heroes started with Golden age to silverage transition. It happened to almost every character. Except for trinity. We didn't have a new character named kane kent superman or Benjamin wayne batman after the reveal of two earths. Which unfair to the other golden age characters. Superman book title are already being shared. I mean, we are talking about Jon kent more than Clark kent these days. Which is a shame. I want jon to have mantle and just go on his way into other titles like legion, supersons.. Etc.Clark is part of a shared universe, has always had to adhere to its rule. Clark can't outrun A flash. He can't out brain a Bruce or lex. So his protagonist status is limited to his corner. If Jon or Conner leaves that domain, they just have to follow the rules of larger dcu.
    And marvel tried to push legacy on to characters that aren't supposed to be. Hulk isn't a title or a mantle. Nor is Thor. Spiderman can work. Captain America works. Captain marvel already was.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 02-20-2019 at 01:33 PM.