Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516171819 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    And as we've discussed in the past, it's most likely that whoever keep the Robin title with most assuredly have their half Kryptonian be the only Superboy, thus I grow more sure that Jon is done calling himself Superboy.
    Lately, I've been thinking about the possibility that Damian has a new identity like Batboy or Batkid (thanks to Super Sons Polarshield Project).

Then, even if Damian lost Robin identity, Jon could still keep Superboy as identity, since they would remain a Bat-Super pair.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-12-2019 at 01:17 PM.

THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It just feels like a rib on the fandom or the idea of there being a "Best Robin" rather then a deliberate attempt to prepare people for Damian not being Robin anymore.
    Is there a reason it can't be both made to poke fun and a hint at what's to come?

Marvel does it all the times with the Hawkeyes.
    But, and correct me if I'm wrong, when there are two Hawkeyes it's never a situation where they're like "and one of them will be rebranded." So I don't really think it's the same thing.

I also don't think he has anything to do with what's written in solicits.
    Not really saying he does. Just seems odd to perpetuate it out of the blue.

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Then, even if Damian lost Robin identity, Jon could still keep Superboy as identity, since they would remain a Bat-Super pair.
    I'm gonna still bet pretty comfortably on the corresponding Superboy (Jon or Conner) dropping their name if their corresponding Robin drops their's.

I maintain that Damian and Jon Kent don't actually need Superboy or Robin to be recognizable. They have the distinctive privilege of being the biological children of the two biggest superheroes in pop culture. "The Son of Superman" and "The Son of Batman" are as great or greater draws than the names Superboy and Robin in my honest opinion, thus I think DC will be cool with not keeping them forever joined to those names.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Kon93

Reverse psychology folks,I see him doing this so blatantly,its almost to obvious.

I really wish they would just let the lil kids be the boy and lil bird and let the older guys move on,but DC,they do things ass backwards constantly

I'd be fine with all of this.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

I maintain that Damian and Jon Kent don't actually need Superboy or Robin to be recognizable. They have the distinctive privilege of being the biological children of the two biggest superheroes in pop culture. "The Son of Superman" and "The Son of Batman" are as great or greater draws than the names Superboy and Robin in my honest opinion, thus I think DC will be cool with not keeping them forever joined to those names.
    I think the identity of Superboy and Robin (or Batboy) will still help their recognition, since it synchronizes pretty well with their positions as "Son of Superman" and "Son of Batman".

Anyway, I just don't think Jon will lost Superboy identity.

Is there a reason it can't be both made to poke fun and a hint at what's to come?
    I mean, no...but to me it seems more likely to be the former then the latter, but that's just me, and that I don't think Damian losing Robin would be good in the long run or the right move.
    But, and correct me if I'm wrong, when there are two Hawkeyes it's never a situation where they're like "and one of them will be rebranded." So I don't really think it's the same thing.
    True, which I guess kind of surprises me that Bendis would even go to the trouble of doing a re-branding, especially for a character he doesn't have prime control over of (Damian).
    Not really saying he does. Just seems odd to perpetuate it out of the blue.
    It just seems like Bendis having some fun to be honest.
    I think Damian being the Son of Batman who is also Robin is as important an aspect of his iconography and recognizability as just being Batman's son is. They've very linked to each other, especially when the Robin identity is a very important part of Damian's character.

Especially when Damian is probably the most used Robin in other media after Dick, which gives him an edge over Jon as Superboy who hasn't really broken into outside media as much (especially compared to Conner).

I think Robin and Superboy are more noteworthy then "Son of Superman" or "Son of Batman," but that's just my stance on that.

I don't think Damian losing the role would hurt anything. Besides, Damian-Robin always worked best when Dick was Batman anyway. The dynamic duo is actually quite derivative when Bruce is Batman. Damian going by a different title I wouldn't see hurting the mythos, nor his character, much at all.

In fact, him in a different role would open him up to potentially team up with said better match, Nightwing, again. That'd be a win in my book.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I think the identity of Superboy and Robin (or Batboy) will still help their recognition, since it synchronizes pretty well with their positions as "Son of Superman" and "Son of Batman".
    And I don't think they need it especially when Tim and Conner wouldn't be quite as quickly marketable without those names in comparison to an average oncoming perspective fan. That's the beauty of the sons of Batman and Superman: you don't need anything else to "get it" outside of just knowing who they are.

If you even have a passing understanding of Superman and are interested in his comics then the name "Jon Kent" alone holds more weight and implication than the name Superboy ever could. Plus, the most widely known Superboy currently is Conner thanks to YJ and soon Titans. I just don't see them picking now to move him away from that name.
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I don't think Damian losing the role would hurt anything. Besides, Damian-Robin always worked best when Dick was Batman anyway. The dynamic duo is actually quite derivative when Bruce is Batman. Damian going by a different title I wouldn't see hurting the mythos, nor his character, much at all.

In fact, him in a different role would open him up to potentially team up with said better match, Nightwing, again. That'd be a win in my book.
    Damian as Robin can team up with Nightwing. DC doesn't team up Damian with Nightwing for other reasons, which wouldn't change because Damian stop to be Robin.

In fact, Damian as Robin hasn't team up with Batman in a good time. Tim as Robin doesn't team up with Batman much either (and dynamic duo between Tim and Bruce could be deribative too).

The identity of Robin has recognition, so it helps the character who uses it. It can be Tim or Damian who uses it in the future. We need to wait and see.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-12-2019 at 02:26 PM.

Astonishing Member

And I don't think they need it especially when Tim and Conner wouldn't be quite as quickly marketable without those names in comparison to an average oncoming perspective fan. That's the beauty of the sons of Batman and Superman: you don't need anything else to "get it" outside of just knowing who they are.

If you even have a passing understanding of Superman and are interested in his comics then the name "Jon Kent" alone holds more weight and implication than the name Superboy ever could. Plus, the most widely known Superboy currently is Conner thanks to YJ and soon Titans. I just don't see them picking now to move him away from that name.
    Bendis has said DC only return YJ comic (and Conner), because he worked for this to happen. Bendis even mentioned that there was no plan for YJ comic, even when the YJ cartoon will return.

So, DC doesn't seem so worried to sinchonize with the cartoon or TV series.

I still think Jon will mantain Superboy identity, but we need to wait and see.
    Last edited by Konja7; 04-12-2019 at 02:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post

Being Robin is such a pivotal element of Damian's character though (although I guess it was the same for Tim), like beyond just being Dick Grayson's sidekick since so much of his character is about living up to the massive amount of legacy and being the "different" Robin while aspiring to be a better Robin.

It's also not like being Robin stopped Damian from teaming-up with Dick. There was a whole arc in the Rebirth Nightwing that was one-long Dick/Damian team-up and referenced a lot of Morrison stuff, as well as a one-shot issue with Damian and Roy Harper. It's all on the writers whether they want to have the two together rather then just Damian being Bruce's Robin preventing that from happening in my opinion.
    Conversely, if anyone knows of a Robin not named Dick Grayson, it's probably Damian.

Per July solicits:
    YOUNG JUSTICE #7
    written by BRIAN MICHAEL BENDIS
    art and cover by JOHN TIMMS
    variant cover by RILEY ROSSMO
    Young Justice—lost in the Multiverse! After the explosive conclusion to their Gemworld adventure, the team is having a tough time finding their way back to their Earth. No, we can’t tell you where they end up, but rest assured, you will be surprised! But as exciting as all that is, we have bigger problems to deal with as Tim Drake is about to do something he has only done...lots of times before. He is about to announce his new alias...a new superhero name. A Young Justice name. And this time, it’s permanent. Like, forever.
    Sounds like Tim's getting a new codename.

Bendis has said DC only return YJ comic (and Conner), because he worked for this to happen. Bendis even mentioned that there was no plan for YJ comic, even when the YJ cartoon will return.
    That's not true.

Bendis said that Didio was already looking for a way to get the Young Justice characters back in the mix, but the right pitch wasn't there yet. When Didio asked Bendis what sort of pop-up imprint he'd like to make Bendis said one focusing on young heroes in the style of Miles and Riri, and to that Didio said "Young Justice." You can look up that story on Bendis' last Word balloon interview.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Per July solicits:

Sounds like Tim's getting a new codename.
    Damn, well there it is then. I was so sure, but I can dig it. I still question taking the Superboy name from Conner. But we'll see.

Anyone. Anywhere.Anytime. Arsenal's Avatar

I'm sure he doesn't genuinely think Damian is the "not even close" or, frankly, anything like that, but I think he deliberately adds onto the solicit with facetious putdown to highlight the idea that Damian won't need to be "the best" Robin because he's about to be ________

Honestly has seemed telegraphed to me from the start since Bendis went out of his way to give Tim back the name. If Tim was gonna be the one who changed then why even put him in a position to need to change names to begin with? He could have either stayed Red Robin or have been re branded from there.
    According to the July solicits, Tim gets his new name in YJ #7